A pirate's life for m ... blub, gurgle, awk! (New wreck)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If a tropical storm was approaching my home, my car would stay in the garage. If I owned a boat and could not remove it from the water, the crew & I would be onboard with good pumps & general maintenance tending to it. Whether you call it negligence or acceptance, he did not take care of his property.
And in your example, what are the risks to you and the crew? Point being, it's all too easy to criticize others, be they our next-door neighbor or someone in a foreign country.

Maybe your analysis is spot on, but if so that's nothing more than a lucky guess. None of us has all the facts of the situation, and even if we did, another person with those same facts might reach a different conclusion and make a different decision. As someone who lives here, I'm especially reluctant to second guess people whose cultural background is so different from my own.

And in your example, what are the risks to you and the crew? Point being, it's all too easy to criticize others, be they our next-door neighbor or someone in a foreign country.

Maybe your analysis is spot on, but if so that's nothing more than a lucky guess. None of us has all the facts of the situation, and even if we did, another person with those same facts might reach a different conclusion and make a different decision. As someone who lives here, I'm especially reluctant to second guess people whose cultural background is so different from my own.
I look at the Cozumel webcams a couple of times a day, and it never looked all that stormy to me.

It will be nearly impossible to raise and repair the wood ship El Olones.
They seem to be trying to raise it intact.

000.jpg

I look at the Cozumel webcams a couple of times a day, and it never looked all that stormy to me.
It was crazy stormy. I looked at the ship several times in the days before it sank commented to my wife that I wondered who was pumping it out. Something about it didn't look right to me.We left the afternoon of the night it sank.

Canal 5 TV has film of the work on El Olonés: . Sounds like they are going to try to refloat it intact Wednesday or Thursday, which would suggest that there is no serious structural damage and that it simply took on water and capsized.

From I've read, refloating a ship, even if it's "only" 100 tons, is a lot of work and engineering. Best of luck, mateys!

If a tropical storm was approaching my home, my car would stay in the garage. If I owned a boat and could not remove it from the water, the crew & I would be onboard with good pumps & general maintenance tending to it. Whether you call it negligence or acceptance, he did not take care of his property.

Negligence is usually a term used when your action/inaction results in harm to others. Irresponsible may be a better term. It's hard for us to judge the actions of those born and raised in a different cultural, social, and legal environment. One could argue they made a wise choice to ensure safety of people over protection of property by not having crew on the ship in a tropical storm.

More video of the work to raise El Olonés, including some underwater video at . I'm not a commercial diver, so maybe I'm not qualified to say, but being down in the sand trying to thread the lift strap under the keel seems incredibly dangerous. That sucker shifts in the slightest and it's a diver pancake. Then there's the diver without fins. I guess you just overweight so you sink to the bottom?

Then there's the diver without fins. I guess you just overweight so you sink to the bottom?
Yeah, it's a different kind of diving; they wear a whole lot of weight so they can walk around on the bottom, similar to hard hat diving. They probably need to be hoisted to the surface.

Ship was partially refloated on Saturday and towed off the reef to shallower waters (sorry, no new wreck diving!). Video at their FB page; it sounds like they need to reposition some of the lift bags and possibly make other assessments of the integrity of the hull, with work resuming tomorrow (Tuesday).

Back
Top Bottom