A pirate's life for m ... blub, gurgle, awk! (New wreck)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Next, we’ll see gargantuan squid in the area:) ayeeeeee

Report from the owners, from their Barco Pirata Cozumel Facebook page:

El Olones Cozumel the Pirate Ship went down today Sunday June 7th early morning in the ocean waters where is was moored in centro Cozumel.

Several days of weather from the passing storm Cristobal and questionable pumps for the excess water, she took her last breath about 4 am and now resting in 35 ft of water with her masks still held high.

So many years of good memories on board the pirate sunset cruise, delicious steak and lobster dinners and unlimited amounts of drinks

The pirates and the crew gave countless amounts of live fun filed entertainment. Which often was repeated each of your visits.

Looking at all options to emerge the pirate experience, the best one is Jean Lafitte pirate ship (a sister ship) which has been in Progresso Mexico mainland for repairs.

Jean Lafitte was the original Pirate Ship of Cozumel. We will now accelerate the repairs so she can be back with the pirates and crew for your entertainment in approximately 45 days

There was no insurance for storms only accident and liability. It will be nearly impossible to raise and repair the wood ship El Olones.

We are looking into all options with the authorities.

Any financial support given to our PayPal account will continue continue with salaries for the pirates and crew and assist with necessary repairs through this unfortunate pirate ship storm mishap

[Donation link removed to comply with ScubaBoard rules]

We will back to entertain you soon

Totally want to dive that.

Someone said the owner is a pretty cool guy. Maybe he would leave it and charge $20 per dive. I'd pay it.

I mean, how often can you say you dove the wreck of a pirate ship? Maybe you could buy a token for a few dollars more.

The ship sunk in a busy area, it’s only in 30-35’ of water. If the port captain/ Navy would allow diving there would be questionable.
This boat won’t last too long either way not like the concrete sail boat.
Remember this was someone’s business and livelihood for several families.

It's def a kick in the nuts for the owner and staff. I hope they can refloat it and carry on. I always like zipping past on a moto and catching that thing out of the corner of my eye.

It's def a kick in the nuts for the owner and staff. I hope they can refloat it and carry on. I always like zipping past on a moto and catching that thing out of the corner of my eye.
From post #12: "There was no insurance for storms only accident and liability. It will be nearly impossible to raise and repair the wood ship El Olones."

It cannot be left there as it is; it's a navigation hazard. Maybe it will get moved on shore and be a landmark for years like the Xel-Ha was.

There was no insurance for storms
There is, if you want to pay for it. If not, then you'd better have the crew onboard with good pumps and general maintenance when one is forecast. This storm had been in the forecast for days. How do you spell negligence in Mexico? I saw that someone was taking donations for him on FB. I think I'll donate to their food banks.

I had a conversation about the pirate ship with one of the dive operators a while back. He said, "Look at the white like that runs stem to stern. That's the actual level of the deck. Everything else has been built up and added on. Notice how that line bows upward?!"
So what, it was just glued together?

There is, if you want to pay for it.
That's the point they were making - they hadn't purchased that kind of insurance.
How do you spell negligence in Mexico?
I'm not certain that I understand the question. This is M-E-X-I-C-O. It's not negligence, it's a willing assumption of risk. A lot like the electrical system in our apartment.
So what, it was just glued together?
[Regarding construction of the pirate ship]As it was explained to me, it was essentially a flat-decked, wooden ship. If you look at the 2nd picture, you can see the line that he was talking about. The gunwale comes up above that to form a railing. But notice the discontinuity in the center? All the weight from all the "pirate stuff" added to the bow and the stern to make it look more like a galleon was literally causing the center point to bow upwards.

It's not negligence, it's a willing assumption of risk.
If a tropical storm was approaching my home, my car would stay in the garage. If I owned a boat and could not remove it from the water, the crew & I would be onboard with good pumps & general maintenance tending to it. Whether you call it negligence or acceptance, he did not take care of his property.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom