A nudge in the right direction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QuickDraw07

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be starting the 4th year of my Bs in Biology this August and I am looking for a little direction from anyone with a little more experience. I have my scuba certification but have only been on a handful of dives since I have not yet purchased my own equipment (remember, I am a poor college student). I would like to go into marine biology or marine ecology, something where I get to dive instead of just working in a lab, but feel like I am a little under experienced for such work. What I would really like to do is work around coral reefs, maybe off the coast of California, doing research in population dynamics or reef conservation. I am keeping my options pretty broad because I honestly don't know what kind of jobs are out there. I have lived in upstate NY all my life but just love swimming and being in the ocean, which may explain the academic and career path. I can't say I know much about what I am trying to get myself into but I know I would enjoy doing it and am willing to learn. My school doesn't really have any kind of marine science program so they haven't been much help for advise when it comes to jobs after college. I was accepted into a marine biology program through Northeastern last year where I would have taken classes and dove in Boston, Tahiti, and Cali but I couldn't foot the $60,000 bill. It would have been an enlightening experience and I was so excited to go and am a little disappointed that it was so expensive. I am asking the members of this forum for a little direction and advice. Do you know of any job openings that would be willing to work with a guy fresh out of college? or any labs that might do some kind of internship where I could work with them for a semester? I have one more year of school left and not knowing where I am going next year is stressing me out and driving my parents crazy.

I would be grateful for any ideas or helpful advice
Thank you,
Ryan

Hey Ryan,
I am also a biology student at UT and can tell you some things to check out. Look for internships to begin with. Just try and get your foot in the door and establish a connection is the key point. Depending on your GPA Walt Disney World offers several internships at epcot and through there wild adventures program. There also volunteer positions such as reef watch programs to help get hands on experience. Another place to check would be the local aquariums around your area. I have not been able to get much hands on with the biology side of diving because I live in Dallas and we are just to far from the water, and one of our aquariums is still remodeling. I do dive regularly with for a company that works on pumps and what not and does recovery work. This allows me to gain experience in the mechanical aspects of how pumps work and stuff because of the life support systems. I know several good places along the coast line around your area looking for people for interns. Try looking on the website of Association of Zoos and Aquariums under jobs. They post internships there and what not. They also offer several classes and contacts on marine biology. Hope this info helps and let me know if I can help at all.
Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom