A newbie turtles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WeekendDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings!
First post (deep breath - here we go)
I just bought a halcyon bp/w setup with single tank adapter (the one with the additional 6lb weight. I also switched all my hoses and SPG to the "standard" 7ft main, shorter octo and short SPG setup. The LDS I purchased it all from let me mess around in a 13ft pool for a couple of hours.
The reason for buying all of this to replace my standard Cressi jacket BCD with all the stuff ('puter, slate, thingy to hold octo etc) is because I intend to give local (NY wreck) diving a shot. However, I "have to" go to Bonaire first.
Usually (in salt water) I need 12 lb wearing a 3/2mm to comfortably go down and stay down. I was quite surprised that the SS (6lb) backplate (I did not use the additional 6lb in the adapter) was all I needed. The problem I have though ( based on a sample size of one 3 hr pool session (I was freezing at the end) is that I have a tendency to go turtle, to roll over. Aside from that issue (which only becomes an issue when I am not finning but just hover I absolutely love the much better trim. My legs no longer sink!
Assuming that in salt water I will need another 4lb or so what is the best place to put it? I have the additional velcro/clip pockets to put the weight in but in all honesty I'd prefer to not use them because they are quite bulky. If I were to use a weight belt does it go below (as in closer to my feet) as the harness belt or does it go on top / below?
I searched a fair bit but most answers seem to suggest to put it on the tank straps. That would only make my problem worse... Is there a "correct" or generally accepted way of dealing with this?
Also, what is the trick to unclipping my SPG with one hand (it is attached to the left hip D-ring)?
Any suggestions are appreciated
WeekendDiver
p.s. drysuit training is next.

Deep breath....Welcome to the board.:D

Welcome to SB!

I try to answer a few of your questions.

As for where to put the extra weight, I suggest putting it on a seperate weight belt. I like the idea of being able to remove my gear at depth without becoming a polaris missle.

As for unclipping your SPG, you may just need more practice at it. Is your clip big enough? If the clip is too small, that will definately make the task harder.

FD

Are you rolling over to one side, or going head down?

I trim out with the extra two pounds I have to carry with an Al80 and a 3 mil suit in camband pockets (but I also carry a can light that's about 2lb negative).

With respect to your question about the weight belt, it sounds as though you are not asking whether the weight belt should go under or outside the crotch strap (there are LOTS of discussions of that issue on this board), but rather asking, once you have the weight belt on, where the waist strap goes relative to it.

In my experience, the answer to that is "Where it wants". Where you put the weight belt is pretty much set by your anatomy -- where it comes to rest. My sits around my waist, and no matter how hard I try to get the waist belt to ride above it, by the end of the dive, it's below.

Clipping off the SPG definitely takes some practice. First off, do you have a bent D-ring there? That helps a lot. Second, make sure the D-ring is set pretty much in line with the middle of your body -- if it's too far back, it's a real challenge to clip anything. I also found that clipping down on the ring (rather than trying to clip up into it) made things much easier. In addition, I "find" the ring with my index finger, and use that as a guide to bring the clip up, and then open the clip with my thumb.

I also (hiding head in shame for having solved a technique issue with equipment) bought a bigger clip . . . :)

ok - I will use a weight belt. and I assume it goes over the harness so it is releasable, correct?
The swivel on the clip is big enough to put my index finger through (while wearing a warm water glove - for practice). the D ring was mounted on the weight pocket, and after I removed the weight pocket and put on a regular D ring I mounted it a little more forward, which seems to make it easier (at least, standing in my living room with my gear on...). I will see how it will work next week in Bonaire. It probably is just a matter of practice, and I think it is a good idea to practice the right way from day one rather than having to unlearn bad habits at a later day.
Thanks for you help
WeekendDiver

I have a regular D ring, not a bent one, (changing that should be easy, but isn't that one more potential thing to get hung up on, especially when it is mounted somewhat on the side?).
When I hover I tend to roll to the side (fully upside down), and my feet ever so slightly go up. As long as I keep some forward motion I'm fine, but I try to have things as effortless as possible)

I found that I turtled only when I had no air in my wing.

When I had my weight finely tuned, I had no air in my wing at the end of the dive - and I kept rolling supine (onto my back) when I relaxed.

If I kept a little air in the wing, I stayed horizontal and prone.

Doc Harry:
I found that I turtled only when I had no air in my wing.

When I had my weight finely tuned, I had no air in my wing at the end of the dive - and I kept rolling supine (onto my back) when I relaxed.

If I kept a little air in the wing, I stayed horizontal and prone.
I also had the same problem when trying out a bp/w. To avoid turtling when shallow and no air in the wing, I ended up adding 4 pounds to the front of my weightbelt --- the combination of weight opposite the plate and a bit of air in the wing ended the tendency to turtle when motionless.

Did you find a solution other than overweighting a bit so you have air in the wing?

Greetings Weekend Diver and welcome to SB!!!

What ever your choice (weight belt, or tank strap weight system) I would recommend that you hit the pool again before you take off for your trip. You may need to try a variety of configurations before your bouyancy smooths out the way you want it. You also want to make sure you are comfortable getting into/out of your gear.

Diving in Bonaire might be a lot of more fun if your gear is set and all you need to do is dive.

You didn't mention what material your tank is? Also do you roll over with a full tank and an empty tank - is there any difference here.

As for the SPG I dive a brass SPG without the rubber cover on a 21 inch hose. Instead of routing the SPG around my left side to the D-ring, I route it down my inflator hose where it is always visible. This is a very streamlined configuration that is easy to use and requires no clipping/unclipping. You do need proper hose management to keep all 3 hoses together, I use old inner tube cut into 1/2 inch wide sections.

Dive safe, dive often and have fun in Bonaire

Cheers

I will go out on a limb and tell you that instead of the heavy stainless back plate with single piece heavy STA you should have gotten the aluminum (or plastic) version with the two piece STA. Why?---well, you seem to be uisng a 3/2 wet suit and talking about Bonaire and if you are a warm water/tropical sort (like me) then that heavy back plate/STA is a lot of weight back there. With an aluminum back plate (Hammerhead brand with lighter two piece STA) and my 3/2 suit I use two small two pound weights on a seperate weight belt and I have always let the weight belt drop down on my hips below the waist strap. I position the weights so that they sit one on each hip bone. Sometimes I accidently forget to install my wing onmy back plate in whcih case I need no weight belt at all.

My opinion, stainless (heavy) back plates are more suited (pun) to cold water and heavy exposure protection diving where they can help get rid of weight from your belt. You might even consider a plastic plate for warm water.

Just trying to help, don't get bent if you don't like my suggestions.

Turtling used to be more of a problem when divers used horsecollar BCs. The bouyancy below them and the tank weight above made a tendency to roll head up and feet down and/or top to bottom.

One other thing, is your wing a horsehoe type or a donut type? I have an older horsehoe type and sometimes the air (when I put some in it) will go to one side causing a tendency to roll. When I notice this has happened I go slightly head up and feet down for a moment so that the air bubble redistributes itself more equally on both sides--and then return to a horozontal position. I have also noticed that some donut types seem to make some divers go rear up and head down.

I think that your mostly not accustomed to the weight distribution of your new outfit. Good luck. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom