A Newbie Buying Gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest renting a few times. My LDS will apply any rental fees towards the cost of the item if you buy it. BCD's all have little differences beyond, vest, back inflate, and BPW design. I went through 3 before I found a great deal on a Glide X used that I love. I had to buy 4 sets for my family and most of it was used except regulators. There is definitely a learning curve and you really don't know what you like at this point.

If money is not an issue, buy it and upgrade/change later. If the budget matters, rent or borrow for a bit and get exactly what you want. I bought hog/edge regulators and love them from DRIS scuba, I think they were about $250 for 1st, 2nd, and Octo. My BCD was $200 in like new condition with an Air 2. I love my Oceanic Data Pro computer because I can read it easily. It was 379 new and we bought a second used one for 200 here. We have a Puck and a Veo and they aren't near the computer for ease of use.

Going into winter, lots of people sell equipment cheap. Craigslist is your friend. Also, at the end of the year, most dive shops will sell their rental equipment for around 1/2 of new cost. Lots of dives, but maintained by experts.

I completely understand where your at, but with a little time and patience, you can get to the same place with the equipment YOU choose for a lot less money.

Leisurepro. DRIS, scubatoys, and Scuba.com are great places to go just to see what is out there. I try to support my LDS, but I have bought lots of masks, fins, wetsuits, etc online.

Good luck, dive safe.
Jay

Send me the article!
efra1223@yahoo.com
My LDS does not sell gear, hes a skydiving buddy of mine who got his cert for the kicks of having more friends Scuba.
Article sent. Sorry for the delay. Was out of town for the weekend and just saw this.

Thoughts!?!?
My first thought is that the 'local shop' offering you this deal is an Atomic dealer. :) And, there is nothing wrong with that. For the record, so is the shop where I teach.

Ordinarily, I would suggest that you slow down, take a breath, and try out some different gear before plunking down $2500 for what you listed. But, if you are h***-bent on buying gear right now, I will go along with tbone and Jim Lapenta for the most part.

You are diving in SoCal, with colder water, and consequently a need for thicker / more buoyant exposure suits. Even if you are inherently neutrally buoyant, you really don't want to add more of a lead burden by going with a positively buoyant, 'floaty', fabric BCD (e.g. the Knighthawk). Nothing really wrong with that BCD, it just isn't an optimal unit for the environment you describe. You would be better served with a steel backplate, which will a) put the weight where you actually want it - adjacent to your physiologic center of lift (lungs), and not on your waist (in integrated pockets) where it will pull your legs down, and b) will reduce that 24 pounds of lead the LDS wants to sell you, to something far more reasonable, and appropriate. Since you are in the area, I echo the suggestion to give Deep Sea Supply a call. It can't hurt, and you will quite possibly find a very helpful - and knowledgeable - vendor.

I would NOT go with a console-mounted (air-integrated) computer like the Cobra 3. Go with a wrist unit (you will NOT regret that decision), and hold off for now on air integration.

I like the Dive Rite XT fins, and that suggestion is well worth considering. Personally, I find the foot pocket on the Atomic Blade Fins to be quite uncomfortable, in comparison to Dive Rites or Mares Quattros. That might just be me. But, having used all three, I also get the best performance from the XTs, with the Quattros a very close second. And, they both 'feel' good in the water.

The most important consideration in masks is fit. After that, you need to consider fit, and then, all else being equal, you should base you decision on fit. You may notice a theme here. I favor low volume masks, and don't really have an issue with single pane vs dual lens. If the Atomic mask really fits you, really well, go for it. One other option, that usually offers some surprises: ask the local shop to show you the cheapest mask they sell. After they get through telling you that price should not be a consideration, and the best mask for you is determined on the basis of fit (both of which are true), try on whatever is their least expensive mask, then try on the Atomic. See if you can tell a difference between that one and the Atomic, in terms of FIT. I say this because, for years, I have been diving a SeaDive Caribbean - the least expensive mask sold in both of the shops where I have worked. And, that mask fits me perfectly. You my not be so fortunate, but it is worth a try to ask about options. I really like the appearance of the Atomic masks we carry - very slick-looking. But, I have 3 SeaDive Carribbeans in my kit box (along with a rather expensive, large volume, single lens purge mask that I was talked into buying as a brand new diver years ago), and no Atomic masks, even though I could get them at a very favorable staff price.

Hold off on the weights for now. If you need to strap on 24 lbs, you can buy that later. I doubt that you will if you avoid the floaty BCD. Similarly, think about what you need a knife for. EMT shears work for just about any cutting you need. Put a pair of shears on your waist strap, and forget about strapping a pig sticker to your thigh. :)

i would seriously think about the integrated secondary and if you do purchase it practice switching from primary to secondary i personally do not like the idea of the integrated secondary but thats my opinion ymmv and there are people on here who will say contrary i would also avoid the package deals and seriously rent different brands and styles to see what you like
the nice thing about scuba is you can rent and try different things out before you buy
there is a lot of knowledge on here about equipment purchases but the best advice i can give is try different equipment and brands before you buy also check out different shops research cost of servicing equipment as well
as for exposure suits rent before you buy depending on your cold tolerance you may need more or less insulation then others

I own something like $7000 worth of exposure suits, $2500 of BCDs, $2500 or so of regulators, and $2500 worth of dive computers. About 40% was a mistake in retrospect and about 20% doesn't fit me any longer. I'd suggest you hold off buying until you have done some dives after you get certified and then ask a lot of questions here and at the store before buying to avoid my expensive mistakes.

Hey guys! Im entirely new to scuba! Just like the 700 skydives under my belt, I jist know when Im gonna get hooked with something so I'm gonna take the plumge and buy gear.
Heres what one of my local shops is offering me:

$2500 with tax included
-Knighthawk BCD with secondary
-Suunto Cobra 3
-Atomic B2 sealed second stage with case
-Atomic fins, mask, snorkel
-kevlar gloves
-fourth element boots
-knife
-26 lbs of soft weights
-henderson hood

Thoughts!?!?

Another vote to slow down, and don't buy package. Hood, gloves, boots needs to have proper thickness for the water you are diving in. No need to be specific brands. In fact, check out onsale/close our section from online retailer. Mask needs to fit, buy them locally so can try it on. Knife, I lost so many, I now use a cut off steal knife, $1.5 a pop from Ikea. No rush, cut thing better than my previous (lost) Titanium knife. B2 is a good choice, I have one b/c I got it used. If I were to buy it new again, I will pick Z2. BCD and computer are personal preference, though both here aren't my choices. Buy weight on craigslist or ebay. But slow down. Spending $2500 at a shot like this isn't the way most of us will do.

+1 for not buying a pig-sticker. If you go on a cruise somewhere and want to take along you dive gear (and why not :wink:) you will generally have to forfeit the knife every time you go onboard. A pair of shears is IMHO better anyway. Granted, you won't get that neat Lloyd Bridges look, but then who among us can pull that off anyway?

So I tried all the gear out. I sunk like a meteor rock with 20 lbs. I had to put on only 6bs (3 on each side) to not use my BCD to float at the surface. I had a HP100 steel tank on me... Am I missing something here? LoL

The atomic mask was one of the few ones that fit me. I tried everything in the shop, it was actually the best fit for my giant face!
The atomic fins suck for me since Ive got high arches... I guess I need to try the Quattros...

Thanx everyone for all this awesome advice!

Back
Top Bottom