A new twist on reform...........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealskin98:
It doesn't matter what program you are trying to do: probation, education, etc., if you don't have the funds to operate it properly it is not going to work

I agree 100%. Fortunately for the California program, they had the Benjamins to back it as well as a very well thought out statement of purpose. A lot of inmates crashed and burned along the way. Apparently the participation & conditioning requirements for the program are quite stringent...more like a specialized military training program than a dive school. For the few who graduate and are placed...the are still required to meet all requirements expected of a parolee. I couldn't find whether or not any graduates had found their way back to prison...it must be a very low number.

Recidivism...try saying that three times quickly...

With that intense of a training course, it should be a low number of repeat offenders. I think I saw that Mr. Miller or someone said the average recidivism rate was only about 12% or so.

There is a good (one of many) research report here that documents the effect of just traditional education.

I wonder if that report had been posted on the other thread, maybe some of the posts may have turned out differently.

Nah, the way that thread had headed nothing would have done any good.

Good point. I'll check out the report- thanks!

sealskin98:
Nah, the way that thread had headed nothing would have done any good.

Did you get the sarcasm in the above statement? :wink:

Think about it for a minute (subsitute "person" for the word "thread").

Oh yeah!

Wow, That thread has taken more turns than a driver at the Indy 500. Ridiculous, yet pretty much one sided. One side provides statistics, the other one cries about it!

Yeah, the original thread did go kinda haywire. This one is getting to be NDR though...looks like we need Mr. Miller to give us a visit and get the thread back on track.

Wilson:
Recidivism...try saying that three times quickly...

And yes Wilson, I did catch your reference to the bi*ch as we used to call it...ha-bi*ch-ual. :rofl3:

Busted...book him Dano...

PvilleStang:
Wow, That thread has taken more turns than a driver at the Indy 500. Ridiculous, yet pretty much one sided. One side provides statistics, the other one cries about it!

Like The Indy 500 when it comes to how we treat criminals the only way people seem to turn is to the Left

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom