A new twist on reform...........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
"Landlocked prisoners taught deep-water diving

By Kemp PowersFri Dec 1, 9:24 PM ET

A landlocked California men's prison aims to keep inmates from returning to jail by putting them in deep water -- training them for undersea construction and dam repair.

The California Institution for Men in Chino sits on a stretch of former farmland some 40 miles east of Los Angeles and just about as far away from the Pacific Ocean.

But it houses a prison-based marine technology training program where inmates serving sentences of 14 months to 4 years learn skills authorities hope will help them find jobs when they return to society.

At a training open to reporters on Friday more than a dozen inmate divers demonstrated their techniques in two 22-foot (7-meter), 30,000-gallon (113,560-liter) dive tanks. One diver donned a 135-pound (60-kg) suit for heavy underwater construction, and sunk to the bottom as one of the other inmates monitored his equipment up above.

No more than 12 percent of the more than 1,600 inmates who have participated in the program have returned to prison -- far below the average recidivism rate of 50 percent in California prisons, officials said.

The program, which aims to train about 100 inmates a year, is open to any prisoner in the general population no matter their crime, said one of the program's officials Charles Patillo. The center was closed in 2003 until August this year due to budget cuts.

Eric Pawling, 44, an inmate incarcerated for petty theft, said well-publicized animosity between prisoners of different races in the prison system had no place in the diving program.

"We leave the racial stuff on the yard because we all have to depend on each other when we're underwater," Pawling said.

Instructor Fred Johnson, who has taught both military and civilian divers during a 45-year career, said there was one major difference between the inmate divers and his other students.

"Compared to civilian divers, they're much more dedicated," said Johnson. "

There's a thread running on this on the main board, some pretty intense debate going on there.

Ahh…rehabilitation, retaliation, or restorative programs.

Which way is the pendulum swinging this decade?

After about 20 years of working in the criminal justice system, in low level status, I started to post in the thread Wilson was referring to but decided not to do so. That thread is getting out of hand and probably will be shut down soon.

In my humble opinion and realizing that some inmates will not respond to training, but some of them will, I’m all for educational or vocational training in our country’s correctional systems. But that’s the big picture….

If you can reduce recidivism….

Anyone know how much it costs to execute someone as compared to a life sentence? And then there is the “revolving door” thing with overcrowded correctional facilities. Then you get into the DNA thing that exonerates some people. If anyone knows the answer to this problem please let me know.

In a paper Barry Nidorf contributed to on the subject, here is the paper…but I don’t think anyone but ‘Stang will read anymore than the Forward or the Conclusion. Even though it’s on the subject of probation, the forward and conclusion is about it in a nutshell. Or maybe not.

Ted Chiricos from FSU has done some good work on the fear of crime. Wonder if the presentation link will work in here.

Ken…shut down my post if I’m getting’ out of line here, and I’m no expert.

But this is diving related! Alan started it! :D

Nah, it looks pretty benign to me right now. And you may not be an expert, Mike, but you're sure closer versed to the type of element we're talking about than the rest of us are, because of your vocation.

sealskin98:
but I don’t think anyone but ‘Stang will read anymore than the Forward or the Conclusion.

You thought you'd trick me into reading the whole thing, huh? HAHA! I didn't get much past page 6 or 7. It's fairly watered down, and I've read on topics like this before in researching the pros/cons of illegal immigration in second year "US and Central American relations" class. I have to agree, though, probation is a joke. It's underfunded, and doesn't get its point across. I'll leave it at that for now.

Kevin

Can someone put the link up for that other thread about prison reform? Thanks.

I'm glad you posted here Sealskin, it got pretty ugly in the other thread. I think the beast is finally dead over there, though. I'm always interested in the opinions of people who worked within the correctional system or within a program like this rather than those running on raw emotion. Sam Miller posted a review of the program, but it got lost in all the chatter and I think he walked away not wanting anything to do with Scubaboard for at least awhile.

Thanks Wilson. Some people "were" running on just emotion instead of objective reasoning or experience with the program. Sam Miller's posts were very interesting.

After re-reading my little post I don't think I made it clear what I was trying to get across when I referenced Nidorf's paper. It doesn't matter what program you are trying to do: probation, education, etc., if you don't have the funds to operate it properly it is not going to work. I'm glad to see that the diving program was able to obtain the funds to start up again.

Back
Top Bottom