A micronit to pick on the User CP page?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClayJar

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is it just me, or is there a teeny tiny buglet in the User CP page source?

Right above the "New Subscribed Threads:" table, there is an extraneous "-->". It's been bugging me in the back of my head for a while, but I finally bothered to look. It appears to be coded right into the page:
Code:
<!-- ############## SUBSCRIBED THREADS ##############  -->

-->
Anyway, like I said, it's a micronit to pick, but seeing what appears to be a dangling, extraneous HTML comment closing has a way of getting to a guy after a while. :wink:

Go figure, now I'm looking at the source and I don't see that... might be the local rendering that shows it there in the Web Developer extension... I'll look more.

AHA! Figured it out!

Okay, the problem is that there is a "--" within the comment:
Code:
<!-- Begin alternate colour for sticky threads -->

<!--	<td class="alt1" id="td_title_178126" title="Ok here goes-- Know that I'll catch a lot of flak but want to know 

Seems that SOLO DIVING is one of those things that needs to be adressed. I dive with a cameras more than any thing else. Locally most divers are steel slingers, ie. spearfishing.  They are. by practice, solo divers!! not one of..."> -->

<td class="alt1" id="td_title_178126" title="Ok here goes-- Know that I'll catch a lot of flak but want to know 

Seems that SOLO DIVING is one of those things that needs to be adressed. I dive with a cameras more than any thing else. Locally most divers are steel slingers, ie. spearfishing.  They are. by practice, solo divers!! not one of...">

<!-- End alternate colour for sticky threads -->
With the doctype, "DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional", this does not validate. The "--" at the end of "Ok here goes--" breaks things such that the Gecko rendering system in Firefox ends up with an extraneous closing "-->", which it drops above the top of the table (its normal behavior for content in a table that's not properly in a cell, IIRC).

For a stripped-down example, try this:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html>
<head>
	<title>Problem</title>
</head>
<body>

<table border='1'>
<tr>
  <!--	<td title="Broken--"> -->
  <td title="Broken--">cell</td>
</tr>
</table></body></html>
If you remove the doctype, the problem goes away, as it also does if you remove the doubled dash from within the comment.

I don't know if there's any handy way of preventing the commented portion from having doubled-dashes. Actually, I don't even know why it's there. Still, that is indeed where the issue is coming from, and if there's any convenient way to fix it, my obsessive-compulsive side will be ever so grateful. :D

LMAO don't you have work to do or something :rofl3:

Actually, a good chunk of my work is in-house web development, so this was good practice (and actually enlightening, as I had no idea you'd get such an odd-looking problem from adding a DTD).

I have something to call you but I don't want you to be offended because I mean it in the nicest possible way. . .

Don't worry, I won't be offended. In fact, I'm liable to be entertained, so call away. :D

nerd :D

Aww... I was hoping for more verbosity.

(Anyway, you're telling me you've either never seen the --> or else you've never been bothered by it? :D)

ClayJar:
Aww... I was hoping for more verbosity.

(Anyway, you're telling me you've either never seen the --> or else you've never been bothered by it? :D)

YEAH UMM I even looked for it after I read this still don't see it. . . could be just an IE thing :D :rofl3: Firefox for life :rofl3:

Actually, I use Firefox exclusively, but remember that it only shows up if a thread begins with a "--" near the beginning of the first message, as the "--" in the 'title' attribute of the 'td' element is what triggers it. (This is one such thread.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom