A Massachusetts Yankee diving the Carolina Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulthenurse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So the boss and I loaded up the gear and drove down to NC last week for a few days of diving with Olympus Diving in Morehead City. The weather had been pretty crappy just prior to our arrival, they had even been blown out a few days and so the vis was sub-optimal. (Actually, it was pretty good compared to around here. Just not as nice as it has been on past visits.) The water was glorious! I was wearing a 3 mil shorty and was perfectly comfortable after 30 minutes of bottom time at 90ish feet. Only having to wear 5 pounds of lead was a nice switch, too.

Lots and lots of life on those wrecks. And sharks. Big ones. WAY COOL.

PIC_0041.jpg

She is saying, "Honest! It was THIS big!"

PIC_0012.jpg

Snaggletooth.

PIC_0021.jpg

We only saw one lionfish, this guy was inside the Coast Guard Cutter Spar.

PIC_0002.jpg

Scruffy and lovable. Like me.

PIC_0045.jpg

Just to show that I do occasionally look at the details.

PIC_0051.jpg

PIC_0048.jpg

PTN

Cool!

I see you didn't give Norm a second chance to travel with you though! :D

Great pics! Reminds me of my trip down there 12 years ago, also with Olympus. Warm water is GOOD!

What was the boat like? How many divers did they have on board? Is Olympus doing pretty well? What's their two-tank trip cost now?

Got any above water shots of the boat, by chance? I just want to reminisce a bit more.... :D

Thanks for the dive report! :)

Dave C

Chris,
I'm SO disapointed. I worked overnight on Friday, got home a little before 8 and helped Alice pack up the rental car. ($200 to put 2100 miles on someone elses car is a pretty easy call) I was sound asleep in the back before we on 95 South. Woke up in Jersey and realized that Norm was left behind, sitting on the piano where you couldn't help but notice him on the way out the door. Alice refused to turn around and go back for him. Damn!

Dave,
The boat was nice, if a bit crowded. They had anywhere from 18 to 25 divers on board with room for probably 30. They have individual storage areas under each spot on the boat so you can rinse off your gear on the dock and leave your gear on the boat at night. They lock up the individual boxes at night. That was nice.

Fortunately, the wrecks we visited were all pretty good sized so I only had the feeling I was in a crowd once. That was just because we were the first ones in the water on a pretty broken up wreck with crappy vis so I ran a line. By the time we turned around to head back everyone else had showed up by following our line and most of them turned around and swam back with us, at least until we got back to the main body of the wreck. Oh well, not a big deal but it was a bit crowed there for a few minutes.

They seemed to be doing quite well. Like I said, the boat was pretty full midweek and they run more boats on the weekend. The majority of the wrecks are pretty far offshore with an average transit time of 1 1/2 to 2 hours to the dive site. They want you at the shop at 6 am for a 7 am departure. (Ouch!) We either did two dives on the same site or headed to another for the second dive, depending on the conditions on the first site and divers preference. Cost for the two tank day was $125 per person. Rental AL 100's with 30% Nitrox were $19 each. They stuffed a lot of air into those 100's, and with the warm water and the wicked easy princess diving we ran out of time LONG before we ran out of air. (On the first dive of Day Two I owed a 15 minute hang and still climbed back on the boat with 1100 psi.) We were back on the dock each day by 4, usually earlier and there are a gazzillion places nearby to help you extend the narcosis into the evening.

Didn't take any pics of the boat, I'd guess it at 75', moves right along at just under 20 knots. Has a large interior salon with a large, roomy head. The beanbags up on the sundeck were a nice way to spend your surface interval. Giant stride entry off each side with drop lines amidship and at the quarter leading down to a hang line at 15'. Those hang lines lead forward to the anchor line and slope down to join it at around 40 feet or so. They also hang a regulator off each aft hang line in case someone spent their air a little to freely. Two center post boarding ladders make climbing back onboard while wearing your fins a snap, there are multiple well placed hand holds. There is a mate stationed on the swim platform to assist divers climbing onboard, they took your camera and pulled off your fins and would walk unsteady divers back to their spot if needed.

We'll be returning again, it was fun, easy diving with tons of life swimming around the rust. And nothing is cooler than those sharks. If you keep your eyes open you can come back to the boat with a handfull of sharks teeth from the bottom. We ended up with almost 40 of them.

PTN

We'll be returning again, it was fun, easy diving with tons of life swimming around the rust. And nothing is cooler than those sharks. If you keep your eyes open you can come back to the boat with a handfull of sharks teeth from the bottom. We ended up with almost 40 of them.

It's great to hear all the details, thanks! Sounds like they still run a great operation, as they certainly did when I went in '98. I'll get myself back down there for sure now! :D

Glad you had a good trip! :)

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom