A&M Shipwreck weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sushi Boy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Shipwreck Weekend 2007

The Institute of Nautical Archaeology (INA) and the Nautical Archaeology Program’s (NAP) annual Shipwreck Weekend is taking place on Saturday, April 14th. The day will start at 9am in EDMS Room 410 in the library annex with presentations by INA and NAP scholars on the various stages of nautical archaeology - from starting a project, the initial surveying of a wreck, the excavation of shipwrecks, and the conservation of artifacts - followed by a tour of the department.

Shipwreck Weekend Schedule

9:00- 9:20 - Mark Polzer: The Anatomy of a Shipwreck Excavation: Bajo de la Campana Project, Spain.
9:20-9:40 - Andrew Roberts: Great Republic: a Pacific Mail Steamship
9:40-10:00 - Dr. Deborah Carlson: A Monumental Cargo: The Roman Column Wreck at Kizilburun, Turkey
10:00-10:20 - Katie Custer: End of the Line: The Final Season of the Red River Project
10:20-10:40 Break
10:40-11:00 - Dr. Filipe Vieira de Castro: Sailing the Pepper Wreck
11-11:20 - Dr. Helen Dewolf: Conserving Artefacts from the Red River Excavation
11:20-11:40 - Dr. Wayne Smith: New Technologies in Artefact Conservation

1:00 – 3:00pm Open Tour of the Nautical Archaeology Program Laboratories:
Conservation Labs
Old World and New World Labs
Ship Reconstruction Lab
Ship Modeling Lab

Their website is http://nautarch.tamu.edu/shipwreck_weekend/index.htm

PvilleStang:
Why would they do such a thing in College Station? Why not in DFW, Austin, or Houston where they could draw a crowd?

Because that is where the Nautical Archaeology Program is located and that is where the Conservation Research Lab where they conserve many of the artifacts they find is located.

although I am not a fan of College Station; I received my MA from the Nautical Archaeology Program, the shipwreck weekend was always fun. I encourage anyone wanting to learn more to attend.

Layne

I agree why not in Dallas or Austin...... bigger city would definately draw more crowds

Well, you would want to see the lab and all the artifacts and ship models right? Those are in College Station and it would be very difficult and potential hazardous for the artifacts to transport them....

Because traffic isn't a cluster**** in College Station?

Feel the love for Aggieland and experience our massive city of 64,000 (double that if you count in Bryan, too!).

PvilleStang:
Why would they do such a thing in College Station? Why not in DFW, Austin, or Houston where they could draw a crowd?

Do you honestly think A&M is going to move one of its biggest and most notable project displays to AUSTIN???

:rofl3:

GIG 'EM AGGIES!! :thumb:

Get lost in your hippy grass-smoking, maybe! Hssssss T-sips!

Whoop! :p

(ok, I'm really not *that* into A&M culture, but I like the Aggie Rings - there's a job network there).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom