A little travel advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your looking to save money by shore diving Whiskey Point on Quadra Island may be the best B.C. has to offer. It'll cost you another $20 for the ferry and the other shore dives on the Island aren't really worth the effort but Whiskey Point is. On Monday the 10th you would want to be in the water about 10:50 am. http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/cgi-bi...zone=14&language=english&region=1&stnnum=8074 I don't think I'd do this dive on anything over a five foot exchange, and a slack before flood.

I would be carefull on planning shore dives based on tidal exchange, we find that planing them based on current tables is a little more forgiving in Campbell River; for example, we can have a 2 foot tidal exchange and +/- 11 knot current exchange in Seymour narrows which means around 4-6 knott peak current in the Campbell River area.
Diving in 2-4 knott current is both fun and exhilerating, but knowing what sites to dive on what tides, makes the area a challenge for divers and charter operators alike.

On the 10th the current tables predict a -10.4 knott ebb going to a +9.3 knott flood (Seymour narrows). The slack will be short, if any, and may make a better drift dive - watch for upwellings at Whiskey point. A drift dive can be done by shore as there is an access road running along this side of Quadra, with road access to the shoreline in multiple places. Stop by one of the local shops, someone can show you a map.
I think you would be better to dive Campbell River on your return from Pt. Hardy on the 15/16th as the currents are down to -8 ebbs to +5.5 floods. These are ideal for drift diving in the area.
Have fun on your trip.

Not sure I would go through Sidney unless you really really want to dive either Victoria or the Saanich Peninsula. Neither of which has diving I would go out of my way for. You will be adding about three hours to the trip by going that route over the Naniamo ferry. From Washington I would probably take the Tsawassen - Naniamo route.

I do like Race Rocks but that is a boat trip. In Victoria Ogden Point is a nice easy dive with lots of life. Gear up at your car and walk or swim out. Dive shop and nice restaurant at the entry/exit point for an after dive snack and tank top up. There are lots of other shore dives around the area, but I would rather dive a bit further north n the Island.

Can't give you any other shore diving tips up the island as most of my diving has been from a boat in that area. If you can get any diving in around Quadra Island that would be my first choice. A side trip to one of the Gulf Islands would be great, but some of them take some time to get to. I believe Porlier Pass can be done as a shore dive but you better be really sure of your current/tide tables.

Please post a trip report. I know you have done Browning Wall etc with John, would like to hear how God's Pocket compares. I suspect the accomodation is significantly better :wink:

Well, Peter is clearly thinking of shore diving, but I was actually thinking about a quick overnight to somewhere like Quadra or Thetis. I'd love to dive with Andy Lamb!

So would I but they canceled my last dive trip as their boat was broken. We had to go dive Skookumchuck at the last minute (not a bad thing).

If you are willing to spend the night I would see if you can dive with Andy, I have heard good things about the place but have only seen it from the water (we pass by on occasion on the way in or out when cruising) and the diving is good around that area.

The other option is Quadra Island. The diving in the Narrows is excellent. I have been twice and plan to go back. Can't recommend an operator however. One of the ones that I have used is out of the business and the other did not impress me. The diving on both trips was very good however. High current sites so lots of life - not as good vis as Browning can be however.

I would highly recommend diving Porlier Pass through Cedar Beach - Andy and Virginia are wonderful hosts, and Peter and Simone run a great charter. A group of us from Beyond Deep Diving spent a weekend up there in October and Porlier was one of the best dives I had last year.

Here's a short video one of our group members put together of the trip - there is some footage of the 737 to start, but Porlier was definitely the highlight of the trip.

YouTube - 737 and Porlier Pass

It's been a number of years now, maybe 2004, but while in Campbell River, I dove the HMS Columbia and and did a beautiful drift along a wall called Copper Cliffs. We set up a charter through one of the local dive shops. I'd have to dig those old log books out, but I do remember both of those dives to be outstanding.
We also rented a small house right down on the water for a few days and enjoyed Campbell River quite a lot. The dives we did near Victoria were nice too, but I have fonder memories of Campbell River. I really wanted to get some dives in near Tofino, but we just ended up Salmon fishing and enjoying some great restaurants.

I know it's not the best time due to algae blooms, but we are headed up to Vancouver Island again in June. We are still hoping to stop and visit you two for some braille diving along the way!

Lynne and Peter,

Hope you don't mind the highjack.

I will be on Vancouver Island but at the end of August.

What are 'must-do' dives in this area for cold water divers with:

• AOW, EAN, GUE-F and possibly AdvNitrox/Deco by then
  • OW-junior (<40')

Claus, let us know your dates! Maybe we can come up and dive with you.

Vancouver Island is a big place -- it takes about five or six hours to drive from Nanaimo to Port Hardy. So knowing what you are on the island to do (other than dive) and where you will be based will help folks give you some diving ideas.

Claus, let us know your dates! Maybe we can come up and dive with you.

Vancouver Island is a big place -- it takes about five or six hours to drive from Nanaimo to Port Hardy. So knowing what you are on the island to do (other than dive) and where you will be based will help folks give you some diving ideas.

It would be great if we can meet with you there.

We are taking the ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo on August 23th (earlier if necessary) and back from Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen on August 30th.

So far, the route is Nanaimo, Parksville, MacMillan Prov Park, Tofino, Sproat Lake Prov Park, Campbell River, possibly Port Hardy, Victoria. We will drive a truck with a 5th-wheel RV, which we could leave behind at a nice spot with the non-divers if necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom