A little tip for noobs with cameras...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoobydrew

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Having seen quite a few new divers create problems for themselves recently I thought I would make one observation in particular public in the hope it helps people in their early days of diving.

People generally finish their Open Water training with different levels of ability, some can be very good whereas other need time to focus on their development. I firmly believe that all new divers need to gain real life inwater experience before they can start claiming proficiency. I have noticed a trend of people that have completed their basic course then head out on a dive vacation which could be a great time to get that essential practice in but are hindered by bringing along a camera. For many, bringing a camera creates such a high demand on their mental awareness that basic skills like buoyancy seem to get ignored. It would be far more beneficial and the diver would end up with much better pictures if they leave the camera on land for a while until they are competent enough in the water to be able to bring it along and start taking pics without damaging the marinelife or themselves and be able to keep an active perception of what is going on during the dive.

Get the basics nailed first, buoyancy is a huge part of this. I am not a great photographer but I do know that in order to get good shots you need good buoyancy. Bad buoyancy with a camera can result in runaway ascents, divebombing the cute critter in the coral that you are trying to take a pic of or even descending too far when diving in a location without a shallow floor beneath you like a wall. Divebombing coral damages the environment and damages you too. A lesser important point is that pictures taken by someone with bad buoyancy will be blurry, grainy, out of focus and generally low quality.

If you want to test your readiness you could think about hovering exercises like picking a rock in the distance and pretending it is an interesting photo subject, swim towards it solwly and end up hovering over it close enough to get a good shot without actually touching anything.

Always remember that you have to adjust your buoyancy on the way down as well as the way up so when you do take a camera for the first few times think about leaving it off during descent and ascent. You could plan to descend and then when you have established neutral buoyancy and are comfortabe in the dive then switch the camera on and start taking pics, as you get closer to ascent time you could switch the camera off and think about the next task in hand.

Also remember that when you have a camera you still need to watch your air, depth, bottom time and no deco limit so get in to the habit of doing this periodically.

Consider spacial awareness too, it seems to be that people get so focused on their camera screen that they forget to look around for other divers, their buddy, hazards, cool stuff. Don't get so engrossed in the camera that you ignore the rest of the area you are in.

Another negative impact on the new diver who has a camera is air consupmtion. The behaviours listed above will all make the diver breath through their air a lot faster. As you dive more and develop, your air consumption will improve. This means that when you do bring the camera along you will have more time underwater in order to get more shots.

There is an expression in the UK "a stitch in time saves nine" - use the initial dives to get good and expand from there, do not try to run before you can walk.

Safe diving

Drew

Just had to respond....

I couldn't agree more.

I was "one of them". With maybe 20 dives, and after buying a bunch of nice camera gear, I discovered that dealing with the camera was just one too many tasks. I couldn't focus on buoyancy, my air consumption suffered, I was ignoring my buddy, and I realized I wasn't enjoying the dives. All those things very well described by scoobydrew.

I "abandoned" my camera gear for maybe 75 dives.....and since then I've been carrying just a P & S without external strobes, just in case one of those once-in-a-lifetime things happen. Without the stress of "having" to take pictures I found that my buoyancy and air consumption have improved, I see a lot more, I'm a better buddy, and because of all that, the diving is just much gooder.:D

I started with a gopro around 15 dives and remember how much if a task load that was, I wasn't ready. Now with a point and shoot with around 100 dives it's still a task load. With the gopro at 100 dives it's not much of a problem and I can still enjoy the dive. I'm doing video only.

Couldn't agree more!

The group I regularly dive with has a guy with maybe 30-40 dives under his belt and he never got his buoyancy and trim down because any time he's in the water he has his camera with him. He's a meticulous individual who obviously puts a lot of brainpower into his photography and comes back with a few good shots from every dive. However, his legs are under him as he bicycle kicks, constantly loses sight of his buddy (and annoys his buddy in the process because he now feels like a babysitter) and he generally comes up flustered from dives because he has buoyancy issues.

On a recent dive trip, we convinced him to leave his camera behind for a few dives we knew to be particularly challenging. Once he left the camera topside, he enjoyed his dives more. However, he was flustered because he didn't have a camera with him. It's a bit of a catch 22 I guess.

As for me, I've got about 100 dives under my belt and my buoyancy and trim are pretty solid. My profiles are flat and my air consumption is pretty good. I do not bring my camera rig on every dive, especially when I know I'll be fighting strong currents. For those moments I can't afford to miss, I mount a GoPro to my mask so it captures everything I see. Not the greatest quality, but I can remember so much more without task loading myself with a camera.

It was only recently that I got a P&S camera which I take occasionally for snapshots, I'm not trying to be Ansel Adams. I think that cameras and video focus the divers attention to narrowly for the environment. One should be an accomplished diver to understand and mitigate the issues created by the loss of attention towards diving.

From another thread:
One could have a whole discussion just on the unintended hazards of photography/videography. I believe a camera is the most dangerous piece of equipment a diver can own.

Bob
------------------------------
That's my point, people, by and large, are not taught that diving can be deadly, they are taught how safe it is, and they are not equipped with the skills, taught and trained to the level required to be useful in an emergency.

That tip doesn't just apply to noobs ... it applies to anyone diving in an environment you're unfamiliar with.

Couple years ago in the Maldives my dive buddy ... who has hundreds of dives ... did something truly frightening. We were "hot-dropping" on a wall ... drop off the boat negative and keep going. Planned max depth 100 feet. She stepped in ahead of me, and I followed rather quickly ... taking a quick look back for a few seconds to make sure our other two companions were in behind me as planned. When I turned back around and looked down, she was plummeting down the wall, fiddling with her camera and completely oblivious to the fact that she was accelerating as her air spaces compressed. At home it gets dark as you go deeper, and she's used to that visual cue to get some sense of depth. There is no such cue in the clear waters of the Maldives, and without it she never noticed that she was falling fast ... and her mind was completely focused on whatever adjustment she was attempting to make. I swam hard ... HARD ... to reach her ... finally grabbing onto her wrist at about 110 fsw, and arresting both her descent and mine at about 125. Shoved my dive computer in front of her mask to show her our depth and immediately began ascending to where the others were waiting at the planned depth of 100. Had I not grabbed her, God only knows when she'd have looked at her gauge. The bottom was over 200 feet below us ... and we were breathing EAN32.

Cameras can be significant distractions. I love taking pictures ... but there's a time and a place to clip it off, or leave it behind, and pay attention to what you're doing. No picture is worth risking your safety for ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The only incident I've been involved in where I can say with a fair degree of certainty that I saved someone's life underwater arose because a diver was focused on his new camera to the exclusion of all else. And this wasn't a 'noob' - the guy had something like 400 dives. That experience didn't stop him corking to the surface from 80 feet and then shooting back down because he wanted 'the shot', completely oblivious to the fact that he had a mandatory deco ceiling and less than 500psi in an Al80 as he continued to descend through 100 feet...

Frustrating though the idea might be for relatively inexperienced divers, taking a camera diving before you've got hours (and hours and hours...) in the water reinforcing core skills and situational awareness is a recipe for (a) massively increased risk to the diver and (b) a lot of time wasted taking really poor photos!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have been saying this all along, and had plenty of noobs argue with me that they "know what they are doing". Yes, especially the one I had to rescue and the one who mowed me down into the fire coral, thankful for my wetsuit that day.

Learn to be a good diver, great buoyancy and then get the camera.

Back
Top Bottom