A little advice on the leave college idea.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nmp0906:
Two paths:

--1--

Finish college
Get a well paying job
Dive as a hobby
Live on a boat / own a boat
Make money and then "retire" to a life of boating / diving / doing charters for income

--2--
Leave college
Go for professional diving
Buy a boat
Transition into doing charters and voyages from the boat while still pulling some divemaster work
Go for doing one week long cruise w/ a couple /mo to bring in the income. (dive charters and photography on the side of that).

And then there is 1.5 which is moving to Florida, becoming a divemaster, and reentering school part time paying for it as I go instead of taking out loans and doing the fulltime thing (in Indiana of all places). I originally turned down going to a university in Daytona Beach in favor of Purdue b/c of out of state tuition. However, moving in state for a year or two and then reentering at the instate rate might be the best of both scenarios since credits can* transfer.

Thailand was just something I came across, realizing you don't get paid, but pay for the certification. I was just curious. Point taken on getting certified where you want to work for networking purposes and such.
I'd say that your best chances for success will come with option 1. It offers you a chance for financial stability, a chance to raise a family if you choose to, and the potential income needed to actually afford a boat and the required upkeep on it. Not to mention that's not a bad way to spend retirement.

OTOH, option 2 does give you a chance at instant gratification. Although that plan is the least likely to succeed and a long shot at best.

I definitely support finishing your degree. You'll be glad you did and with it you will be able to accomplish anything you desire. Besides, when you're done, you're done. You don't have to deal with it anymore and you can move on to other things. Like relocating to Florida and professional diving.

Isn't it funny how many idealistic divers (usually young men) we get here on Scubaboard who are just SURE that they want to dive for a living?

ROFL...

I have never seen a cheap sailboat that you could charter on. Heck I've never seen a cheap sailboat that I could/would spend the night on. Cheap and sailboat are an oxymoron.

I have been sailing since about I was about 8 and was always taught that a boat is a hole in the water that you try to fill with water.

How bout this as a starter plan.

Finish the semester, got to florida, dive and learn to sail. Then reexamine the options. Some people find living on a sail boat nearly impossible, with the space and weight restrictions.

Still you are young enough to try this, if you are ever going to. Me I can sail and dive, and am glad to have a well paying job that allows me to do both comfortably. But thats just me...

If you are single and unattached, and are disinterested in college now, go and explore other options first. True, it is hard to go back, but it is even harder to finish a four year degree if your attitude isn't right. And incurring debt and getting nothing out of it may not be a good idea right now.

The "standard model" --- high school, college, grad school or job, marriage, kids, all in quick succession --- doesn't work for some people, and these people may be better off in an alternate model, like going to a trade school, getting a job, going to the military or traveling for a while before going to college. When they do go to school, they have a better idea of what they want to pursue in higher education.

However, some advice ---

1) if you are unattached and choose to seek an adventurous path intially, stay unattached. The reason why most people who eschew college will, later, find it hard to go back is simple: they collect a spouse, a child and a lot of debt along the way. Suddenly, with several mouths to feed, quitting a dead end job and going back to college at 40K a year isn't difficult. It's impossible. I worked industrial jobs to pay for college and I met many jack hammer operators whose grandiose schemes were derailed by positive pregnancy tests and wedding bells, in that order.

2) Take from someone who works in "retail" (I am a physician, but that is akin to working in retail), dealing with paying customers all day long, whether it is selling ties, diagnosing illness or working a dive boat, is no picnic. As the dive shop operators and scuba pros on this board will quickly admit, to be a professional requires a love of PEOPLE, not just a love of diving. If you love people, fine, but most people your age haven't had enough experience in life to know that, one way or the other. If you can't deal with the horse's rears that make up much of the general population, and do it with a grin, then being a dive professional is not for you.

3) what looks like a good idea at age 20 ain't necessarily a good idea at age 45... there aren't many piano movers, for example, in their fifties...
A working career for you means working until about 70 (the projected age when your generation can collect pension or social security benefits)...thus, it you want to be a 68 year old divemaster, great, but most people don't last in such jobs for fifty years.
Bodies break down faster than you think. Everyday I see men who were drawn to the high pay of coal mining at age 20 who, at age 45, with an aching back that can no longer stand a 48 inch coal seam and a retirement over twenty years away, must claim disability and end up doing nothing except getting by on a fixed, small income.
Unless you are a pro athlete, the only way to insure a good quality of life long term is to use your MIND, not your BACK. To make a living, remember that you must have some skill that others want to buy. The more unique and in demand that skill, the more you will make and the better security you will have.
If you are going to travel, go somewhere that will force you to learn another language. For example, become a dive pro in Mexico and become fluent in Spanish. Being mutlilingual is a better credential for many jobs than having a Harvard degree and only speaking English.
You may not go to college, but at your age, your mind is a sponge...you must constantly be accumulating skills and knowledge at this time, things will be be an asset later.
Biologically, a 30 or 40 year old brain does not have the ability of the 20 year old brain to assimilate language and motor skills. In fact, by age 25 or 26, the ability to learn begins to diminish. So don't waste the next six years "having a good time" and acting like it's an education.

In conclusion, by all means, chase your dreams. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Rush Limbaugh, Peter Jennings, none of them had a degree (Peter Jennings, the late great journalist, never finished high school). But always keep your options and your mind, open.

ba_hiker:
I have never seen a cheap sailboat that you could charter on. Heck I've never seen a cheap sailboat that I could/would spend the night on. Cheap and sailboat are an oxymoron.

I have been sailing since about I was about 8 and was always taught that a boat is a hole in the water that you try to fill with water.

How bout this as a starter plan.

Finish the semester, got to florida, dive and learn to sail. Then reexamine the options. Some people find living on a sail boat nearly impossible, with the space and weight restrictions.

Still you are young enough to try this, if you are ever going to. Me I can sail and dive, and am glad to have a well paying job that allows me to do both comfortably. But thats just me...

I've always heard that a boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood into which you pour money.

Or...

The two happiest days in a boat owners life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it.

Well... when you're just out of high school, it's kind of expected that your parents will support you and pay all your college expenses. If you wait until you're closer to 30 to go back to college, it probably isn't fair to expect your parents to pay for it or support you. So, even if you're still single at that point, you would most likely have to work your way thru on your own. It isn't the same experience living in the dorm in your late 20s and being the "old man."

The major difference between myself and you is that I've got my military time, experience, and benefits to help me out. I've already finished my gen eds for the most part and picking up a different major won't be too hard. I get credit for some of the military things I've done, and I go to school for free (actually I get paid to go once you factor in grants and other things on top of my GI Bill). I've got no immediate family, and have absolutely no loving attatchment to my parents. I'm a very independant person.I've actually just invested in some language programs to start on that end. I won't have to pay anything to get my certifications. (my military gi bill actually covers them as "technical school" credits)

While I love your enthusiasm, and you remind me of myself about 6 months ago, just remember to do some research and some good, honest, deep thinking about it. I spend hours online researching things and reading. Check out some of your local dive shops, call around to some places and ask to speak to thier dive cons. Get first hand experience and knowlege that might help you avoid some mistakes that others have made. I've been spending so much time talking about the military and dive careers with my current instructor that the class has been actually drug out an extra day! I've also taken in a ton of information and perspective from the more experienced members of this board. I was a guest/troll on this board for a long time before finally joining.

You might want to look into something that you could go to school for that would get you in the water. traveling, diving, yet making good, reliable money. With my military background, law enforcement and other civil service jobs are obviously a draw. I'm EFR and EMT-B certified as far as the medical world goes. I've got three combat tours and multiple advanced tactical training schools, experience on a sniper team and a trained designated marksman for my squad. (fancy name for sniper). So the police force naturally has a draw. So I took the things I know I'm good at and tried to find a way to incorporate diving into them and get me somewhere that I could just take a short drive, or possibly walk, and go diving. Many many police forces have dive teams, shore patrol, so on and so forth. I've also discovered an underwater crime scene investigation major at florida state that is currently drawing my attention quite heavily. Remember, you can still be a DM and Instructor... you could just do it as a second job. Or do it to pay for your diving like many here have suggested. It gets you wet and it doesn't cost you anything but your time.

There are plenty of things you can do that are diving related in your current engineering field. Look online. I've come across many in my searches. Granted many of them aren't nearly as attractive, nor is the diving, as that of a recreational diving instructor, but you still get to be in the water. It would definately be one way to find out if you like diving as much as you think you do.

But there's always that "what if" side to it as well. And trust me, I've been battling that demon for a while now. Yes, there is a possibility that you could go to florida, or thailand, and get certified, find a job, start working and move your way up. Maybe open your own shop or take over one from someone you met through diving. End up having a very rewarding career in the recreational dive industry. Or you could spend a couple grand, do some amazing diving, see a bit of the world, and run out of cash or find out its really not for you. In my humble opinion, both are worth a shot. You just have to decide if you want to take that RISK. I've rambled on for far too long and spent more time talking about myself than needed. Pretty much I want to be like playa boy... just trying to find the cahones to do it. Just remember... It's your life. Live it while you can. Cause in the end, everything we do... is just everything we've done.

Stay in school and get that finished. You never know what curves life will throw.

After school either way you will have school loans to pay. That you will have to deal with.

Work on the dive thing very few diver get to live the dream, and there is always the burn out factor. Like it or not I am going to state that it still is very much precieved as a "man's" world. Especially outside the United States. and if you are a women (you have declined to state) it will be that much harder. ( I sincerly hope you get to live your dream)

I dropped (poured more like it) out of college with the intention of returning and ran smack into life. Never made it back. Worked a lot of construction and got serverly injuried. Wound up working in an office working for a geek with a piece of paper that wouldn't know his *** from a hole in the ground. But that piece of paper on the wall is the only reason he is my supervisor. If you started, finish.

And you never know were you might find some help living the dream...

Just my 2 psi...

There is another option if your computer skills are good. At your age you could travel all over the world, get paid for it, no rent, no bills other than your cell phone and some meals, and the best medical benefits for free. It's what my son is doing. All it required was a six year commitment in the UNITED STATES AIR FORCE serving the country that allows you the freedom to even consider being a "bum". He got a 40K enlistment bonus as an Airbourne Linguist specializing in Mandarin Chinese. Plus the microsoft certs he got in high school and his computer skills as a graphics designer will pretty much guarantee him six figures when and if he decides to get out. A couple years of that and he can do whatever he wants wherever he wants. Biggest mistake I ever made was NOT going into the military when I had the chance.

DeepSeaExplorer:
I've always heard that a boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood into which you pour money.

Or...

The two happiest days in a boat owners life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it.

B.O.A.T. = Bust Out Another Thousand!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom