A little advice on the leave college idea.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to get paid for boating, consider getting a job that will let you gain experience toward a Captain's license. The Coast Guard or Navy might be a good option for you.

@busdiver :: The reason I would do PADI is b/c the boat stuff would be for recreational divers (and even non divers who I could certify as an instructor while on our little voyage for extra money).

@Btravlin :: I am 19.9 :) and have less than 20 credit hours. Many of those are engineering specific courses which can't be transferred to some degree. I have a good 3.5 years of academic work to finish the degree at full time status.

@BeachJunkie :: I like your thinking. That is why I going through this semester so I can really think through it, however, if I have a plan I would pick up and leave today. I base my life on a plan, then I set off following through it (the plan then always deviates and I adjust accordingly). Then you have to stop and look at where you have been, where you are, and where you are going. Then you set a new course and see where it takes you.

In general though, I am adventurous, don't have any ties (except family) here, and I have accumulated some school debt, but that is why the Thailand internship stuff is a good option because there is a timeframe w/i 6 months (before loan repayment begins) that I could get certified and find a job.

Just to chime in here:

I have worked help desk and such, and have enough experience to get a ~$35k - $42k /yr job almost anywhere.

That honestly isn't that much for a computer job. If you want to ever have money to buy dive gear, and go on dive vacations, I suggest, like everyone else, get some summer internships while in college, finish it, get a degree, then you'll be a bit more marketable. It's great to be passionate about stuff, but you need to be realistic as well. My brother graduated undergrad a few years ago with a music and philosophy degree. It took him about 2 years of giving piano lessons to realize he needed to go back to school, which he did, and just graduated law school.

It's much easier to go to school when you're young.

Stay in school; finish your degree. It's MUCH harder to go back and do it later. After you graduate, take a couple of years to bum around and dive. Then get a real job, make a bunch of money, and use your vacation time to go diving.

You may be too young to realize it yet, but the quickest way to suck all the fun out of a hobby is to turn it into a profession.

@BTravlin :: I am 19.9 :) and have completed less than 20 hours some of which are in engineering classes that can't be moved to any other major.

@BeachJunkie :: I like your advice. This is one reason I am going one more semester to make sure things will work out and get a heading and course plotted. I think about someone who says "I have went to college. I work at a job. I make money. I have a wife and kids." Then I think well, that's nice. What did you do that is special? Where did you have fun and do something different than the norm? How is your story any different than anyone elses? In your case, "I tried college and found I didn't like it, so I joined the Army. And now I live close to the beach and dive." (or whatever you end up doing). Which story would you rather have? And it isn't even about doing something different, it is about doing what you want. If you don't want to go to college and the things you want don't require it, then don't go. But make sure you have a plan... So, BeachJunkie, I like your thinking especially the tidbit about pros/cons and then deciding if you want to take the risk.

@Busdiver :: I would stick with PADI b/c of owning a boat and doing recreational dive charters and extended adventures for couples (live aboard type things once I upgrade from the beginner boat). And recreational diving jobs are easier to come by as you said. The important thing is money here. I have to make money while getting certified and finding another job. I have 6 months from leaving school (or dropping to less than full time) to get stable income. The Thailand stuff is just a more guaranteed timeframe of getting certified and leaving time to get employed and stabilize myself after being gone for 4 months.

@in_cavediver :: College degree will pay for itself. But where am I going to end up? At a desk and a weekend diver? How am I going to have a boat and take week long voyages and take people on week long cruises in the Caribbean or anywhere else for that matter? So I have paid all this money for school, get a nice job, pay off everything, buy a boat, and then leave work and do what I really want which is to sail the seas and dive all the time? That seems like a big intermediary step (though a very stable one with low risk).

Any one have any info on the Thailand Internships and if you really save money, etc.? I am interested in opinions on this.

Any one have any info on the Thailand Internships and if you really save money, etc.? I am interested in opinions on this.[/quote]

Are there not a few shops in Key Largo that have set time limits for certification? Ocean Divers?

The connections that can be made in that area could benefit you for setting up your own charter service deeper in the islands.

Just think it through grasshopper.

Get school over with...you've already paid out serious cash, just get the degree in case diving doesn't work out. We all want to dive and do nothing else, but its becoming an unrealistic goal with all of the instructors out there...espeically the bad ones.

I have a friend that did the "Tailand" internship. Her step-brother operated a dive operation. She did not get paid. She used her severance pay from her employer and with the inexpensive living in Thailand, managed to stay there for a year. Her diving was free.

Please - stay in college. I didn't, dropped out for husband and children. I was one who did go back. I'm now a college graduate. That money allows me to take two fantastic dive vacations a year (~$5K), save for retirement (in about 2 years) buy camera equipment ($3K) and still have enough to live frugally but comfortably. After retirement (and I'm still young physically) I plan on about 20 years of doing what I want when I want to do it.

The sailboat idea is in many person's dreams. The problems: Upkeap. Saltwater tears up boats.

If you keep up with the engineering degree, you could write your own ticket. I work for the State, their Department of Transportation. Our engineers are not "tied to the desk," they do a LOT of field work. Some days are long but that allows comp time. Last year with vacation and "comp time" I took 5 weeks off. That's about 10% of the time off.

nmp0906 @in_cavediver :: College degree will pay for itself. But where am I going to end up? At a desk and a weekend diver? How am I going to have a boat and take week long voyages and take people on week long cruises in the Caribbean or anywhere else for that matter? So I have paid all this money for school:
I won't feel bad bursting your bubble. LIFE IS EXPENSIVE. You have to work to pay for it. If you want week long cruises in the carribean, you either need to make good dough from a good job been a steward on a cruise ship or have really really low standards for a boat and lifestyle. What you want now WILL NOT be what you want later.

I'll say this now, as an engineer/IT manager, I'd gloss right over your resume without a degree. You'd wouldn't make the first cut for anything over helpdesk H$11 that I would even see.

I'd love to do lots of things. I got a degree in Wildlife management and ended up going back so I could have a life I wanted and pay for it (got EE degree). Now, between my wife and I, I get a months paid vacation a year, have all the discretionary income to support 2 technical divers with trips, equipment, have a boat and a nice house. We even have time to Snow ski out west.

Do yourself a favor. Stay in school. Tough out the last couple years then, after you have the degree, take a year or two and roam. Make the adventure then. In ten years, you'll be glad you did.

Get a degree first. It's a HELL of a lot harder to get when you're working 8 to 5. You can pass people initially while you're working and they're in school, but then they'll go by you about 40 or before

Important: A degree isn't just about knowing about some specific field. It's about learning how to structure your thinking, how to organize and plan tasks, and about working with others. Yes, it seems simple and you're already intelligent but when you deal with people who have this experience, you'll find the difference. The time you spend in the degree is really a pimple on an elephant compared to your lifetime, but it's a LONG goal when you're having to support yourself or a family and get it accomplished.

Why not consider a degree in marine biology or some other ocean related angle? The long term money is not going to be in diving with people. The potential profit there is going to top out quick. With a marine related degree, you can have the full package to get into something you enjoy, involving the ocean, and the money is there, and you'll have a lot more opportunities.

Back
Top Bottom