A little advice on 2nd stages please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think the air entering the 2nd stage is compressed to the level of the Intermediate Pressure anyway, but if the valve let a certain amount of molecules through to produce an equivelant of pressure as the ambient pressure in one normal breath, it needs to open a bit more to let the double amount of moleciules through the valve in the same time.

Forgive me but that doesn't sound right. If an opening allows 'X' amount of molecules to pass through in 'Y' amount of time at pressure 'Z' then at twice the pressure you will have twice the amount of molecules capable of passing through the same opening because they will be closer together..right?

I would think the air entering the 2nd stage is compressed to the level of the Intermediate Pressure anyway, but if the valve let a certain amount of molecules through to produce an equivelant of pressure as the ambient pressure in one normal breath, it needs to open a bit more to let the double amount of moleciules through the valve in the same time.

Your assuming the space between molecules is constant, as you descent the space between molecules will become more compact so more will flow through a given opening.

College Chemistry and Physics was a while back but I am pretty sure ams511 is correct...unless they changed things in the past couple of decades...or unless this 'hole' from which the molecules pass is exactly 1 molecule wide...but then you are breathing a pure gas...maybe not a good idea.

:)

Wait. this isn't even college chem...every diver knows that the volume of air you lungs hold changes with depth...it is because you get more air into the same space with the increase in pressure.

Last edited:
Completely forgot that! They are:

H2300533
H2300586

I know they're not old enough to be collectors items, and if I were to sell/use either they'd obviously need a service first.

Don't recognise those numbers for anything. You'd have to contact Aqualung to get a date on them I guess.

As for them getting stiffer at depth. I only made about 600 dives with the old aqualung I have (it's from 1976) and I distinctly recall this happening. However.... the last dive I made with it in deep water was a long time ago and looking back I don't completely rule out feeling the effect because I was expecting to feel it. I also felt that same effect with a relatively crappy Sherwood regulator I had after that. The Sherwood had a cracking adjustment on it that I could open at least 1/2 turn at 40+ metres where as that same setting on the surface would cause it to free flow. I'm not an engineer or a physicist so I don't know why it would work like that but it did. I know there are a number of people here saying that there is no reason for it (on paper) but I'm pretty sure my observations were not just off-the-wall.

Strangely, my new regs don't do that but they're over-balanced Aqualungs with balanced 2nd stages that breathe light as a feather anyway so the difference between light-as-a-feather and almost-light-as-a-feather is something I can't feel. I've had these regs down to about 60 metres and didn't have to change the cracking adjustment on them to lighten them up even at that depth.

dunno :idk:

R..

I'm not saying that they wouldn't get harder to breath. Mine don't but I don't dive to 60 meters either. I am just saying that the reason present doesn't sound correct. There may be another explanation.

1) Air and nitrox do get "thicker" at depth, but you have to get to about 600' before the effect is pronounced. You'll notice the increased viscosity in your lungs before you'll note any change in the performance of the second stage.

2) all second stages have a moderate degree of venturi effect - that's why if you drop a free flowing reg, it keeps right on free flowing. Adjustable flow vanes just let you increase or inhibit the effect in some circumstances

3) The valve does have to move more gas at depth, but that's simply because you breathe more cubic feet with each breathe at depth - if you breathe .6 cfm at the surface, you'll be breathing 3 cfm at 132 ft (5 times more as you are at 5 ATA). So if you take 5 breathes per minute, that's only .12 cu ft per breath at the surface, but it's .6 cu ft per breath at 132 ft, and both breaths will have the same amount of inhalation time. Consequently, at 132 ft, in that fixed period of time, the reg has to move 5 times the gas that it does at the surface. The thing is that a reg like the Conshelf XIV can move about 30 cfm.

So...if I am at 132 ft and inhale that expected .6 cubic feet needed for one full breath in 5 seconds, that's equivalent to a flow rate of only 7.2 cfm, leaving a reserve flow from the second stage of about 23 cfm. However, if I get panicked and inhale that same .6 cubic foot needed for a single full breath at 132 ft in only 1 second, then it requires a flow rate of 36 cfm and I'll start out breathing the reg and feel starved for gas - increasing the panic response. That's why panic = really, really bad underwater, especially at depth.

I believe those 2nd stages are still being sold new by AquaLung.

They are-military catalog but any dealer can order. The cheapest I found was just a little north of $600 for both stages...$150-$250 for just the second....DIN kit was about $140 extra. I was told by one dealer to just buy them used cause the chrome will get scratched if you use it anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom