A great time to ask a question about St. Croix....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Point Udall, the easternmost point of the United States.

Not wanting to start a flame war but...

"The easternmost point is Pochnoi Point, Semisopochnoi, Alaska, because it lies east of the 180-degree longitude.

But! It's really an "it depends" on what you mean by "easternmost," says Cindy Beidel, spokesperson for National Geographic Society.

Pochnoi Point, Semisopochnoi Island, Alaska (179°46'E)—easternmost point in all of U.S. territory, by longitude, or Point Udall, St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands (64°34'W)—easternmost point in all of U.S. territory, by direction of travel."

Not wanting to start a flame war but...

"The easternmost point is Pochnoi Point, Semisopochnoi, Alaska, because it lies east of the 180-degree longitude.

Pochnoi Point, Semisopochnoi Island, Alaska (179°46'E)—easternmost point in all of U.S. territory, by longitude, or Point Udall, St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands (64°34'W)—easternmost point in all of U.S. territory, by direction of travel."

No flame war...

Yes, I knew that. I meant to put "easternmost" in parentheses like I did for "rain forest" in my original post. If you really want to be confused, look at a map of latitude and longitude and try to justify Pochnoi Point being the easternmost point as you will focus on the continental U.S. and look at from that perspective.

But a correction to your post. Pochnoi Point lies west of the 180 degree longitude line.

We're really off-topic here but there are so very many definitions of Easternmost, it all becomes quite silly :wink:

Back
Top Bottom