A great shallow water area in Carribean with awesome dive resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Austin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, my family's going to carribean and although i'm Advanced Open Water, my Dad, Mom, and brother need to get certified. My brother is 11, so we need a place that can do Padi so he can get junior cert. We also need a place with the possibility of great shallow water diving because he would only be able to go to 40'. We'd like to stay at a dive resort and it would be the last two weeks in August. We've been looking at Barbados, Grenadas, and St. Kitts. Any place you all suggest? Thanks! :wink:

Austin,

Have you considered Bonaire? It has some very easy diving but, good quality diving at the same time. You would have a choice of excellent shore diving or boat diving. Just a thought.

Sounds like Bonaire to me.

Well I just got back from Curacao and think it would suit your needs perfectly. I stayed at Sunset Waters and dove with their onsite dive op, Sunset Divers. They have 2 instructors already on staff and one about to start, plus Carlos, the DM. They were very good at catering to all levels of dive experience. You can follow your own profile or go with the DM--your choice and no time/depth limits except the ones you set for yourself.

There were several people who got certified while we were there and they all seemed to really enjoy their experience. The instructor would take them off to do their own dive, while the rest of us went with the DM. The boat was huge and while it can hold about 22 divers, we never had more than 10. Plus, they rinse and store your gear--a big plus for us lazy people. :)

I know, this probably sounds like an ad, but these folks were great and I enjoyed diving with them so much that I want them to succeed. Not to mention the resort was fabulous!

Check out the resort and dive op at www.sunsetwaters.com and tell them Angie sent you. :)

Based on what you've described and the trip we just completed, Freeport and Grand Bahama Scuba would be perfect for your son. The shallows are amazing for diving and snorkeling, and GBS would have no problems working with him, in fact, they'd enjoy it and so would he (not to mention the rest of you!!!)

Clutchcargo:
Bahamas might be a better choice for shallow dives. In Bonaire, you'll be going deeper than 40'.
I was told you have nice 40' diving in bonaire

aquasport:
I was told you have nice 40' diving in bonaire

I just got back from my 7th trip to Bonaire and have at least 50 or 60 dives on Bonaire. We rarely go OVER 40 ft with a couple of exceptions and those are our choice to do. Most of the nice coral and fish are in 0 to 40 ft. On the deepest dive I did last week, my average for that dive was still only 29 ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom