A good charter in Destin, FL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bsigmund

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be in Destin over a weekend middle of next month. Would you guys recommend a good shop/charter? Would also like to know if there is good shore diving there. How is the diving there in the middle of January with respect to water temps and weather? Thanks in advance for any help you give.

Bill Sigmund

you only have two shops/charters to choose from in Destin

ScubaTech
Emerald Coast Scuba

ScubaTech has an "oil crew boat" that is decent size.
Emerald Coast has a converted sport fisherman type boat.

If you drive an hour (approx) east, you'll hit Panama City and there you have a choice of about 4 to 6 charter operations and a decent selection of wrecks.

There you have
Panama City Dive Center
Dive Locker
Panama City Dive Charters (by Pat Green here on Scubaboard).
Better Bottom Time Charters
plus one or two others.

If you head West, over in Ft Walton is Scuba Shop. (don't know anything about them).

about an hour or 1.5 hours west, you hit Pensacola and you have a lot of charter operators there. Several favorites there including MBT Divers, Scuba Shack and H20 Below charters.

You can easily find all the above operators in Google.

Middle of November, I wouldn't expect any of the charters to be running much during the week days unless they can meet the minimums. Water will still be decently warm but topside suface interval wind can be undesirable. January will bring more of the same but cooler and less chances of going out. You can always hit shore diving though if they boats don't run.

Shore Diving in Destin is mostly done at "Destin Jetties" at the finger jetty on the east side of the pass. You enter that area from the parking area on Holiday Isle. It's quite a walk. Preferred diving time is high slack tide +/- an hour or so. A few people might shore dive the brigde, but that's about it.

A short drive will take you to shore dives at Morrison Springs, Vortex Springs, and St Andrews Jetties. All of these are about an hours drive from Destin and all are good dive sites.

Hope this helps.

-Mike

I'd expect water temps anywhere between 55-60F in mid-January. Still doesn't stop us from diving, just gotta wear more neoprene.

I didn't shore dive. But I did do a 2 tank dive with Emerald Coast Scuba, great people.

Back
Top Bottom