A friendly Challange... Boot for Puck Style computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brutus_scuba

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a US Divers/Aqua Lung Matrix computer without a housing boot for it. I went to the dive shop today and they had some wrist mount boots, but the computer was too big to fit it any of them. Does anybody have any idea as to how to create something that I could use to wrist mount this computer.

Yes, no-hub gem caps and bungies. In the plumbing department. And, I suppose, the bungie depatment.

I was thinking more along the lines of those rubber end-caps you can put on posts. They come in different sizes, so I'm sure one of them could fit the bill. The addition of slots for straps as well as access holed for the computer sensors would complete the task.
caveat: I have to try this one out though.

I built one for my girlfriend's compass (finally got her off the stupid "consoles" and on to proper wrist-mounted gear.)

I ended up getting an end cap for ABS pipe (black) in the appropriate diameter, and turning it down to the depth required, as well as drilling the appropriate slots in it.

I then coated the thing in "Tool Dip", which is liquid rubber, and smooothed the whole thing out, as well as gave it some grip, which the slick plastic wouldn't do. I added three countersunk SS screws to retain the compass, and I was done.

It worked pretty well, but was kind of bulky.

I think if I had to do it all over again, I'd just use some marine grade epoxy and some fiberglass I have lying around, with a suitable coat on top of it to protect it from UV (maybe even the tool dip...) It's quick, cheap, and easy, and a lot less trouble than trying to shoe-horn things into a pipe end cap.

hey yeah! I like the tool dip idea! I even read somewhere that someone would use it on the tips of their gloves - makes it last longer...

I have had the same problem. I have an Oceanic hockey puck style computer. I went to mount it into a housing an it was way too small to stay in the housing. I was really worried at 1st, but a quick trip to my local dive shop and I found 2 trim rings. One for the top and one for the bottom of the computer and snap it into the boot. DONE....plus the big bonus, NO CHARGE at my local shop!

deep sea supply Email them and see if they have something already or could make one. just a thought

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom