A fitting repast...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday we took Uncle Pug (the boat) out for a dive... and fine shipboard dining.

We planned to spear some rockfish and grill them during our surface interval. Chris was in charge of bringing the grill, utensiles and cooking spices. ERP was in charge of bringing himself.

On the way to the boat Shane wanted to stop by the local grocery store for the extras... when he came out I asked him what was in the bag?

"Ummmm... Snapple, Chips, Potato Salad... ... ... and hotdogs."

"HOTDOGS!!!" I bellowed... "What did you get hotdogs for?!?!?!"

"Ahhhh... well.... just in case."

"Did you get buns?"

"Uh huh."

"Good."

{Getting the fish was never a question... Chris' culinary skills were}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After we had loaded the boat with our gear and groceries (I noticed ERP had brought a sandwich for himself) we headed out to the Island.

I dug my spear pole out of the v-berth and looked at the rubber... hmmm.... kinda funky. So I cut it off and trimmed it back to sorta fresh material and re-attached it thinking that grilled hot dogs would sure taste good.

We dropped in and the plan was for Chris the Chef to carry the fish stringer for me... and I would shoot lunch.

The first attempt at using the pole spear resulted in the rubber breaking on one side. The second attempt resulted in it breaking on the other.

Grrrrrrrr......

So I decided to use the pole spear as a spear pole and just stick fish by hand. Boink.... right through the head of a nice sized Quillback.

We ended up with three nice fish and Chris cooked us a wonderful meal... complete with potato salad.

The hotdogs and ERP's sandwich stayed in their respective bags.

TIP: don't eat potato salad during a surface interval if you are diving a drysuit.

doubters of the Mighty (spear) Fisherman Pug!

Glad you had a nice meal. Of course, if you had to break out the hotdogs, you know you would've never heard the end of it.

Planning on booking any evening dinner cruises soon? :)

Of course UP fails to mention me stashing the spear, where it would get knocked overboard while we were eating.

So Dive No 2. had a different hunting objective, find the spear pole :p

Oh and I'm eating that sandwich right now :p

... actually the first two weren't hard. But it was really spooky the way the whole reef suddenly got wise to me!

When we first went down there were three huge ling cod cows lounging around the anchor. I went over and fiddled with the anchor... setting it just the way I wanted and they never budged.

But after I had poked a few rockfish they all began to get spooked! The lings would move away as I approached even though I had no designs on them.

So I was having trouble spearing a third and final rockfish... they just wouldn't hold still. They would roll slightly onto their sides and look up at me... and as soon as I made a move they would dart out of the way.

Well I could actually hear Chris laughing... so I gave him the spear.

Evidently taking this to be a sign that I had given up, the fish relaxed... and Chris speared the third one.

if I was a TFC (trust fund child) I would move back to the PNW in a heartbeat...

I used to dive from a 21' wooden boat that was found abandoned on the beach on Orcas (hey, it only had a 'small' hole in the hull). A little boat bondo, some bottom paint and off we went...pretty sure the sea gods look after fools, since we didn't die using that derelict...

Yeah, spearing rockfish and lingcod...had some good times doing that. The ling (cobia) in Texas are completely different beasts...haven't speared one yet, but hear they're tasty.

Uncle Pug, looks like even the fish around there know about you and your anchors by now.

When we first went down there were three huge ling cod cows lounging around the anchor. I went over and fiddled with the anchor... setting it just the way I wanted and they never budged

I can just imagine upon seeing an anchor drop.

Fish: Hey, I think that might be one of UP's anchors. Lets go check it out. Wonder what he's going to do with it this time?

Other Fish: Maybe his going take it for ride. Want to bet?

Another Fish: Look, here he comes straight for it. I think its an irresistable lure for him. Lets just stand around and watch. He won't bother us even with that big spear on his hands. He can't help it, its beyond his control!
:)

Now about hot dogs and sandwiches, thats what I call redundancy. Must be prepared for any eventuality! Just in case that anchor don't let go. :)

All meant in good jest.

Did you adhere to proper sandwich marking procedures? I usually put my name on them to avoid someone accidentally grabbing my sandwich. Other than that, you don't want any of those convoluted stickers on them...just SI and 0.

Did you adhere to proper sandwich marking procedures?

Unlike UP I'm not very DIR, so I dive with a Back Inflate BC rather than BP and wings use a standard octo rather than a long primary and in this case failed to correctly mark my sandwiches.

ERP once bubbled...

Unlike UP I'm not very DIR, so I dive with a Back Inflate BC rather than BP and wings use a standard octo rather than a long primary and in this case failed to correctly mark my sandwiches.
I am amazed you didn't starve or eat the wrong sandwich! You know, there's only one way to do this right...

O-ring once bubbled...

I am amazed you didn't starve or eat the wrong sandwich! You know, there's only one way to do this right...

Of course your right, I should have been more careful in my preparation, it was lucky that we caught the fish, had I had to eat my sandwich I would have been totally unaware of the cheese content and could have suffered a nasty case of lactose intollerance (or as it's often refered to cheese tox). :eek:ut:

Back
Top Bottom