A fish from Bohol that will spear you? Serious query

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
My brother-in-law lives in Jetafe, Bohol and make his living partly by fishing.

At night they spear fish. He tells me that one type of fish has a spear, like a swordfish and it can and will spear divers on occasion. He says this has caused fatalities.

Anyone know the proper name for this fish?

Ever hear of such a happening?

I was thinking of getting him a kevlar woven shirt. Yes, they exist and are knife resistant.

Thanks

Well, billfish include marlin, sailfish and swordfish and they all have the long pointy face. Ive not heard of any of them killing divers, but I have heard of them killing fishermen. Guess its a reason why game fishers tend to release them without taking them into the boat..

On a totally awsome cool sidestory, Ive been fortunate enough to run into a sailfish that was hunting and although or maybe because it was over in a flash it was SO cool to see it come towards us, raise the sail, change color and dissapear faster than you can say "apperture"..

And then of course theres all the rays which have tail spikes that can hurt you real bad or worse..

Needlefish have impaled swimmers in past...have sharp bill/jaw and zip thru water just under surface...couple varieties. Bet thats what he's talking about.

My brother-in-law lives in Jetafe, Bohol and make his living partly by fishing.

At night they spear fish. He tells me that one type of fish has a spear, like a swordfish and it can and will spear divers on occasion. He says this has caused fatalities.

Anyone know the proper name for this fish?

Ever hear of such a happening?

I was thinking of getting him a kevlar woven shirt. Yes, they exist and are knife resistant.

Thanks

if i am not mistaken your brother is talking of a needle fish... ussually in the shallows... very sharp with a spear like beak... found almost everywhere ive dove in the visayas... Ive never heard of it killing a diver though...

Back
Top Bottom