A few questions: Weight & Hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTernovski:
2) mask inside a hood fine, is totally fine, except the fact that you may find yourself getting cold, and that's the reason I like my strap on the outside. this really is a non issue.

AFAIK basic drills, V-drill and S-drill are used to check two things:
- one's proficiency in completing those tasks
- equipment DIR compliance

It would be complicated to perform mask removal drill with strap under the hood if your hood is not attached to the suit.

MonkSeal:
AFAIK basic drills, V-drill and S-drill are used to check two things:
- one's proficiency in completing those tasks
- equipment DIR compliance

It would be complicated to perform mask removal drill with strap under the hood if your hood is not attached to the suit.
Well...you see thats the beauty of it. If the strap in under the hood you can't lose it, so the "drill" in this case is meaningless.

JeffG:
Well...you see thats the beauty of it. If the strap in under the hood you can't lose it, so the "drill" in this case is meaningless.
Really?

When a mask strap is under the hood, it's totally immune from failure of any kind?

JeffG:

Except that it causes a gap in the hood, which in cold water while scootering is not a good situation.

jonnythan:
Really?

When a mask strap is under the hood, it's totally immune from failure of any kind?
No...don't read into stuff that ain't there.

If it did break it would be easy to remove, but with a neoprene strap, I think the failure rate would be pretty low.

detroit diver:
Except that it causes a gap in the hood, which in cold water while scootering is not a good situation.
True...Thats why I would never use it brrrrrrrr.

But if I was a www in florida, I might try it once to see if I liked it.

This same thread is/was going on in TDS and some people claimed that there DIR-F instructor used this technique. (It wasn't in mine) But I have seen enough minor variations in stuff that I could believe it and I am not going to call someone un-DIR for a having their strap in there hood.

JeffG:
No...don't read into stuff that ain't there.

If it did break it would be easy to remove, but with a neoprene strap, I think the failure rate would be pretty low.
I'd hate to be back in a cave, take a fin to the face that dislodges a mask lens, and then have to deal with a no-mask situation when I haven't done the drill in years.

It reduces the incidence of strap failure, but mask failure can still occur. Putting the strap under the hood is no excuse to eliminate mask drills from your training.

jonnythan:
Putting the strap under the hood is no excuse to eliminate mask drills from your training.
OK...I will give you that.

But, it still doesn't make putting the strap under the hood "un-DIR"...I should just shut my pie hole now because I don't use this method, but I do recognize that it could solve 99% of lost mask issues at the cost of being a bit colder and having a training/practice issue.

JeffG:
OK...I will give you that.

But, it still doesn't make putting the strap under the hood "un-DIR"...I should just shut my pie hole now because I don't use this method, but I do recognize that it could solve 99% of lost mask issues at the cost of being a bit colder and having a training/practice issue.
That's fine, I never said anything about it being DIR or not. I was merely refuting your statement that putting the strap under the hood made the mask drill "meaningless."

jonnythan:
That's fine, I never said anything about it being DIR or not. I was merely refuting your statement that putting the strap under the hood made the mask drill "meaningless."
meaningless was a tongue and cheek reference to the "DIR compliance" check during drills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom