A few questions: Weight & Hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MonkSeal:
This is a tipical thread in this forum. Somebody ask something, one or two divers replies (or sometimes nobody) and then two dozens of posts containing no info at all, only arguing about what the original poster wanted to ask.

Isn't it easier not to reply if you don't know the answer?

Excellent points. Color me removed...

Derek S:
That depends on who you talk to. I've been some places that denounce gear that fits the DIR criteria but is labelled crap because it insn't emblazoned with the "Big H".
This doesn't count if the "place" in question was a Halcyon-only dive shop. Surprise surprise.. my LDS tells me that ScubaPro and Sherwood are the only people who make good BC's and everything else is crap. Guess what they sell.

You will not see anyone who really knows what they're talking about (and isn't financially invested in the "Big H") denouncing DIR gear as non-DIR simply because it lacks the blue logo.

detroit diver has it right. Derek... you went from promoting DIR, to taking the class, to bashing it in pretty short order...... :eyebrow:

As for the original poster, he asked if the pockets were DIR, and we established that they are not. Presumably rstark is grown up enough to decide whether he wants to use them by himself :wink: Asking "who cares what anyone thinks" is kinda silly since the original question was.. what do the DIR guys thing :eyebrow:

Well it's been fun but I got my my answer (from only one person):

MonkSeal:
ABC pockets - not DIR: ABC pockets rely on plastic buckles, so they can't be DIR. Don't want to repeate about quick release plastic stuff because it has been discussed here many times.

Mask strap inside hood - not DIR: If you have to replace mask for any reason you'll have to remove a hood also, which
a) unnecessary complicates complete operation
b) endangers your thermal protection in especially sensitive area

Although not DIR I think I'll keep using the ACB's for now. When I take my DIR-F class I'll either ask the instructor about using the ACB's for class or go back to my weightbelt again.
Thanks.

JeffG:
and it doesn't even matter if its right or not :wink:

Learning diving (and DIR) on the internet is soooooo kewl

You never did answer: Have you taken a GUE course?

detroit diver:
You never did answer: Have you taken a GUE course?
Yes....and I even updated my profile for you :D

rstark:
Well it's been fun but I got my my answer (from only one person):

Although not DIR I think I'll keep using the ACB's for now. When I take my DIR-F class I'll either ask the instructor about using the ACB's for class or go back to my weightbelt again.
Thanks.

I actually used the large ACB's for a while when I dove single tank and drysuit. I never like them, not because they weren't DIR (cause I wasn't either), but because they seemed too bulky compared to a "normal" weight belt. Also, as I figured out later, they really messed up my trim as there was way too much weight too far down the torso. Also, there was no way to ditch my cannister light if I had to do that. Frankly, that wasn't a big concern, as by the time you ditch all that weight in the ACB's, the cannister weight will seem insignificant!

JeffG:
Yes....and I even updated my profile for you :D

Well hallelujah! That wasn't so hard, was it?

detroit diver:
Well hallelujah! That wasn't so hard, was it?
Naw...and I was getting sick of the PM's "Do you dive?" LOL :wink:

detroit diver:
I actually used the large ACB's for a while when I dove single tank and drysuit. I never like them, not because they weren't DIR (cause I wasn't either), but because they seemed too bulky compared to a "normal" weight belt. Also, as I figured out later, they really messed up my trim as there was way too much weight too far down the torso. Also, there was no way to ditch my cannister light if I had to do that. Frankly, that wasn't a big concern, as by the time you ditch all that weight in the ACB's, the cannister weight will seem insignificant!

If you had ditchable ABC weights, you never should have to dump your cannister IMHO.

Reinoud:
If you had ditchable ABC weights, you never should have to dump your cannister IMHO.

Never? Wouldn't that depend on how much weight you had in those pockets and the weight of your cannster light?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom