A few questions: Weight & Hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver:
If he's asking what is DIR, then obviously he cares "what anyone else thinks", doesn't he?
That's not true at all.
If he's asking what is DIR, then he obviously cares "what a DIR diver thinks". Huge differnce there.

Jason

Jason B:
That's not true at all.
If he's asking what is DIR, then he obviously cares "what a DIR diver thinks". Huge differnce there.

Jason

I think that's assumed when he posted in the DIR forum.

diveh3:
The only issue I saw with the ACB is you have to un-thread it to put on a can light. Kind of a PIA. And your team may not be familiar with them.
This is why they are not DIR. Although I thought I saw some super slick fix but it's still not DIR.

detroit diver:
I guess we should just shut this entire board down then if everyone should go right to the source, huh?

In fact, there are a few GUE instructors that post on this forum. If one sees this, then they may be inclined to answer the question.

As for Halcyon logo'ing, it's pure dollars and cents. They don't make enough DIR products for the small DIR market, so they have to make additional products to be profitable. It's no ploy, it economics.

I'm not saying that we should shut the DIR portion of the board down. I know that we do have a few GUE instructors who do post here, but rather than waiting for the possibility that one of them might have time in their hectic schedule to stop and read every thread and respond, doesn't it make more sense to contact one of them directly?

detroit diver:
No one really cares what kind of backup light you wear. You're obviously not DIR and don't care to be, so why do you care what we think?

edit: I just read your disclaimer. doesn't seem to match you post.

If it fits the criterion, the name brand is irrelevant. I have two backups, and neither of them are Halcyon brand, but they're definately DIR.

That depends on who you talk to. I've been some places that denounce gear that fits the DIR criteria but is labelled crap because it insn't emblazoned with the "Big H".

Actually, I am striving to be DIR, and recently completed Fundies with a provisional. I don't care what someone half-way across the country whom I might never dive with thinks per se, but I am striving to be DIR.

I'm just trying to find my way, and the differences in opinions on not only what is/isn't DIR buy why/why not something is DIR is quite disquieting. Kinda makes it tough for someone who is relatively new to DIR to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Derek S:
That depends on who you talk to. I've been some places that denounce gear that fits the DIR criteria but is labelled crap because it insn't emblazoned with the "Big H".
Yeah? Where? What exactly happened?

Derek S:
In a way, this is kinda funny. I have seen a lot of the opposite of this (lately).

Derek S:
I'm just trying to find my way, and the differences in opinions on not only what is/isn't DIR buy why/why not something is DIR is quite disquieting. Kinda makes it tough for someone who is relatively new to DIR to seperate the wheat from the chaff.
:wink:

I'm still confused as to what you're saying. If everyone (DIR or not) only was to email an instuctor, what would we be doing here on Scubaboard? Isn't this a place for exchange of information?

If you're striving to be DIR, I commend you. But please explain this original post response to me:

Hey rstark -
I say that if you like them and they work for you, who cares what anyone else thinks?

Let's say he liked split fins, would that matter what anyone else in the DIR realm thought? How about bungee'd wings?

Derek S:
I'm not saying that we should shut the DIR portion of the board down. I know that we do have a few GUE instructors who do post here, but rather than waiting for the possibility that one of them might have time in their hectic schedule to stop and read every thread and respond, doesn't it make more sense to contact one of them directly?

Actually, I am striving to be DIR, and recently completed Fundies with a provisional. I don't care what someone half-way across the country whom I might never dive with thinks per se, but I am striving to be DIR.

detroit diver:
If everyone (DIR or not) only was to email an instuctor, what would we be doing here on Scubaboard? Isn't this a place for exchange of information?
and it doesn't even matter if its right or not :wink:

Learning diving (and DIR) on the internet is soooooo kewl

This is a tipical thread in this forum. Somebody ask something, one or two divers replies (or sometimes nobody) and then two dozens of posts containing no info at all, only arguing about what the original poster wanted to ask.

Isn't it easier not to reply if you don't know the answer?

detroit diver:
I'm still confused as to what you're saying. If everyone (DIR or not) only was to email an instuctor, what would we be doing here on Scubaboard? Isn't this a place for exchange of information?

I don't know about you, but the DIR forum isn't the only reason I come here. :14:

detroit diver:
If you're striving to be DIR, I commend you. But please explain this original post response to me:

Hey rstark -
I say that if you like them and they work for you, who cares what anyone else thinks?

Let's say he liked split fins, would that matter what anyone else in the DIR realm thought? How about bungee'd wings?

It's ironic that you'd bring up that very example of bungied wings. I just posted my thoughts on another board about dual-bladder and bungied wings and was totally shot down for it, branded a lemming, and was told I was trying to be GI4.

Admit it, us DIR divers walk a fine line. We're either branded as zealots or anti-social jerks. Since I don't know rstark, what his level of involvement with DIR is, I figured a more gentle approach would be better. I am man enough to admit my ignorance of not knowing that ACBs aren't DIR. I've learned from that and won't make the same mistake twice.

As far as the split fins go, of course I would tell him they aren't DIR. But honestly in the big scheme of things, if he wasn't planning on taking any (or taking any more) GUE classes and preferred splits, who are we to tell him what to wear? I'd rather dive with someone who uses splits and is a safe diver than someone who has each piece of DIR gear down to the hilt but is an unsafe diver.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom