a few questions, possible rants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
#3 GUE is the only agency that can teach the DIR way to dive using hard sole booties! :eek:ut:

Aquakatfighter was having a problem with booties, maybe you should DIR her...:)

Walter once bubbled...
Prove me wrong. Write to the C of C at info@keylargo.org. Report back to us on what they tell you.

Why don't you try to get on a dive charter without paying the $10, and report back how long it took for you to be thrown overboard at the dock.

See if anyone will take you out to the SG without paying.

Then publish the names of those that will.

Betcha no one wants their boat scuttled.

Money breeds heavy handed practices.

Warren

You may have a point. I intend to test it on my next trip to KL. Quite frankly, if they ask me for a "donation" of $10, I'll gladly pay. If they say it is required, I will not pay.

Walter once bubbled...
You may have a point. I intend to test it on my next trip to KL. Quite frankly, if they ask me for a "donation" of $10, I'll gladly pay. If they say it is required, I will not pay.

Wow, that's more than fair! Execelent! Please keep me informed.
I would be glad to either eat my words, or carry on the struggle.

Thanks for being open minded.

Warren

Warren,

What other option is there?

I know how it is presented through the media - as required.

I know there is no authority for such a requirement.

I know when I wrote to the KL Chamber they responded that it was a voluntary donation, that there is no authority to make such a requirement.

I know I have not dived the artificial reefs around KL since the SG SNAFU.

I therefore know how it should operate, I do not know how folks are operating.

I guess it really boils down to authority... The National government has authority in National Waters, the State has authority in it's waters... and these overlap somewhat, I am sure. So... who authorized these medallions and under what jurisdiction are they operating? I don't believe that cities/municipalities have many rights apart from their harbors and such. How do you annex a part of the ocean???

So, I can see them ASKING for a donation. I can see dive boat operators REQUIRING the donation much as SCUBA shops can require a VIP sticker or proof of certification to fill a tank. But the real onus is on the dive operators to make the "donations" work.

I was mildly embarrassed to see the medallion program. I took it as a quiet criticism of my not paying for something that I enjoy a lot. I was delighted to buy a medallion, in support of the reefs.

I guess I see an analogy between many of our laws and this program. If people always drove a sensible speed, we would not need speed limits. If we all saw the support of artificial reefs as our responsibility, and stepped up to the plate, they would not need to create the medallion program.

If not us, who?

My $.02

Ken

Back
Top Bottom