A few pictures from Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maggy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi!

Got back from Cozumel about a week ago. Had a great time and the diving was really good. Here are a few photos from the trip. I'm using a Canon Powershot A720IS so it's only a point and shoot camera. Depth between 50ft to 90ft so I know that I would need a strobe. I also need photoshop to make it possibloe to edit them a bit better than this. Still, here are a few photos:

Hawksbill turtle: (we also saw one green turtle)

IMG_2235.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

Huge Hogfish (4 ft)
IMG_2296.jpg

Splendid Toadfish:
IMG_2119.jpg

Margate:

IMG_2111.jpg

Gray Angel:
IMG_1949.jpg

Lobster:
IMG_2069.jpg

Bermuda Chub:
IMG_1970_2.jpg

At a wall at 85 ft
IMG_2223.jpg

Scrawled filefish
IMG_2015.jpg

Permit:
IMG_1937.jpg

Sargassum triggerfish:
IMG_2196.jpg

Queen triggerfish:
IMG_2270.jpg

Black groupler:
IMG_2260.jpg

Iguana:
IMG_2388.jpg

Sunset:
IMG_2134.jpg

Very nice. Loved the Iguana. If you can, you should use manual white balance to get rid of those blues. Otherwise, yeah, Photoshop would do a world of good.

Very nice. Loved the Iguana. If you can, you should use manual white balance to get rid of those blues. Otherwise, yeah, Photoshop would do a world of good.

Thank you all!

Larry C - the iguana was really posing for us. We first joked about that he was placed there, because he didn't move, but eventually he did. So he was for real and chosed a pretty site to pose.

And yes, photoshop it is, as soon as possible. No dive trip planned for at least 6 months now, so I have time to play with my photos.

nice work Maggy, nothing wrong with a point-n-shoot, but some external light at depth definately helps.

I can never get those silly lizzards to hold still for me like that.

I love Photoshop, makes all the difference in my photos, but it ain't cheap, Adobe's Lightroom program, it's sort of a "Photoshop light", most people just scratch the surface of the power of Photoshop anyway. It's about 1/2 the cost and it's easier to learn.

The pictures are great. I have the same camera and am looking to add a strobe as well.

A good alternative to PhotoShop is GIMP (especially because it is free). gimp.org It has much the same features and functions as PhotoShop, but is not always as easy to use.

Hi Maggy,

I was in Cozumel about the same time you were.
Nice photos; very good composition, nice closeups, very good technique at capturing fish faces instead of fish butts, which many photogs just can't seem to do very well. The main suggestion: Invest in a strobe asap. That will improve your colors better than fooling with white balance and other settings.
To see the effect a strobe will have you might want to check out my new Basic Underwater Photography Manual, available as hard copy or an online PDF file on Paul Mila Books
Looks like you are already using many of the techniques I write about regarding how to approach sea life.
Good luck & good shooting!
Paul

ALl of them are great shots but I love the sunset shot the most.

Thank you so much. It makes me really happy to hear this as I consider myself still a newbie to both diving and uw photo. I have learn that the more I do it (dive and take uw photos) the more I really want the photos to be good. In the beginning you were happy about anything that wasn't blurry, but now I am much more picky.

I know I'll need a strobe and I will buy that equipment the next time I'll go diving. This time I bought BCD and regulator, so the budget didn't allow more.

Here are two more photos:

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_2335~0.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom