a few pics from Puerto Galera, the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice, ssra! I think you've just convinced me to head to PG on the next trip to the Philippines. Is the third photo of a nudibranch?

Re autofocus -- I think it's easier with the built-in focus lights of your Ike 125s than with the YS-90DXs I use. My 105 mm lens, as Chippy noted with his, doesn't focus very well in dim lighting. Looks like you've got your system down very well. Looking forward to more pics.

The third picture is an aeolid, Phyllodesmium longicirra, a type of solar powered aeolid.
The pgymy seahorse was taken with the 70-180mm lens, focal lenght 130mm, 1/1000s, F22, ISO200. I also had a Nikon 5T diopter on the lens and added a nexus wetmount diopter as well to get the lens very close to the pygmy so depth of field is very tight.The auto focus was in AF-S, single area.

Chippy, the 70-180 certainly spend quite a bit of time hunting. Since I don't have access to switch auto/manual focus with Sea and Sea housing, one thing I can do is just to get the autofocus into the general focus area then use AE-Lock button, press the shutter then move in and out until the picture is in focus then the shutter will automatically fire. However, with a good focus light, the lens really did not have much difficulty focus in abeit a little slow in comparison to 60mm macro.

Marpacifica, I think you will enjoy PG a lot. Many similar critters to Dumaguette but has a lot more variety. The mandarin fish is no where nearly as skittish, a lot more variety of nudibranch, has pgymy seahorse and ribbon eels. I think I prefer PG over Dumaguette quite a bit. By the way, I highly recommend El Galleon and Asia Divers. Atlantis is also there but it is located on Sabang Beach which is very noisy, lots of bars and is not very nice, location wise. El Galleon on the La Laguna Beach, next to Sabang is a bit more quiet.

ssra30:
The third picture is an aeolid, Phyllodesmium longicirra, a type of solar powered aeolid.

yes...well... ah... thanks for clearing that right up...

seriously, awesome pictures. well done

Which dive site did you find the pygmy? was looking for it when I was down in PG in June but was unsuccesful. Great shots! Makes me want to get a housing for my D70 :11ztongue

Wolverine:
Which dive site did you find the pygmy? was looking for it when I was down in PG in June but was unsuccesful. Great shots! Makes me want to get a housing for my D70 :11ztongue

We dove quite a few sites where there are supposed to be pgymy seahorse but ended up finding a couple on one seafan at Hole in the Wall, basically from the hole, just keep ascending straight up the slope to about 10m.
We also did try to look around Shark Cave and Sabang Wall but did not find anything there. Supposedly while we were there, someone did see yellow pgymies at Sabang Wall but we could not find it.

VERY NICE PICTURES!!!
Love the second one

Great shots! I love that second one.

I played with the 105 at a camera shop, and found the AF to be slow, even on land. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's just as much of a hassle underwater.

With D70, you should be able to use a manual focus gear even in AF mode.

If you set the AEL/AFL button to AF mode, which similates the 1/2 shutter press, the D70 will take the shot anytime you press the shutter release down, provided the subject within the focus area is in focus.

So if you dial in the focus with a gear, and then use the shutter release, the AF would never be activated.

This gives you the option of trying AF first with the thumb lever, and then if you aren't happy, use the MF gear.

I did try the 12-24mm lens iwht dome port on a couple of dives but the result was rather pitiful
What's wrong with the 12-24? I am thinking about getting it as it'll give me the wide angle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom