A few facts to get your brain in gear.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you took all of the smokers in the world and circled the earth with them, at the equator. over 70% of them would drown!
:rofl: :rofl: cant breath

u sure bout that?

Now, did you try to lick your elbow ???

ASB - I have to admit i tried..

Yes I did, and I got pretty darn close...

ScubaHawk:
oh, that's good!!!! LMAO!! :laughing:
I LIKE IT

Remember 4 out of 5 High School Students are 80%

80% what? Remember that: percent over 100 equals is over of. and 90% of people don't know what that means. lolzzzzzzzz

Kriterian:
Here is an interesting tidbit on that nursery rhyme:

The words to the Ring around the rosy children's ring game have their origin in English history . The historical period dates back to the great plague of London in 1665 (bubonic plague). The symptoms of the plague included a rosy red rash in the shape of a ring on the skin (Ring around the rosy). Pockets and pouches were filled with sweet smelling herbs ( or posies) which were carried due to the belief that the disease was transmitted by bad smells. The term "Ashes Ashes" refers to the cremation of the dead bodies! The death rate was over 60% and the plague was only halted by the Great Fire of London in 1666 which killed the rats which carried the disease which was transmitting via water sources. The English version of "Ring around the rosy" replaces Ashes with (Atishoo, Atishoo) as violent sneezing was another symptom of the disease.

Not true. It was during the black plague when this started. The black plague occured(spread) during the middle (medieval) ages. This was the time when 'witch trials' occured. They believed that every person whom owned a black cat was a witch. They also believed that the plague was spread by witches whom were working for the devil. Therefore they killed all persons with a black cat, and all black cats. The problem, you see, was that the rats were the ones spreading the decises (they would crawl into your bed at night and bite you.), and the cats would kill the rats. Once the villagers began killing off the cats, there was nothing to get the rats, and the plague spread faster killing nearly 60% of all people.

The song comes from the fact that the spot where the rat bit you would turn rosy, and get a purple/blueish ring around it (ring around the rosy), they believed that flowers pedals and herbs would keep you safe from getting the plague, so children carried pocketfuls of herbs and roses around (pocket full of poiseys), as you said all dead were creamated (ashes ashes), and the "we all fall down" part refers to the 60% of people who died from the plague. The 'hopscotch' part was put in place of the 'ashes' part in the American version to make it more suitable for children.

Just some stuff I picked up along the way...

Afraid_of_Fish:
80% what? Remember that: percent over 100 equals is over of. and 90% of people don't know what that means. lolzzzzzzzz

OK that took me a sec. I'm glad to be in the is of the of instead of the of that ain't in the is.

P.S. I've always been taught it was the fleas - not the rats that were biting people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom