a doubles question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd rather dive LP80's because they are easier to lug around and easier on the back. I own steel HP100's, grew up diving AL50's and steel 72's, and often use steel 104's for cave diving.

Most divers try to solve skills problems with equipment solutions. Contrary to popular belief, scuba diving isn't easy. Breathing underwater is easy. Feeling comfortable underwater is easy. But, developing skills underwater takes them same sort of concentration, practice, focus, thought, training and coaching as surfing, skateboarding, snowboarding, skiing, football, lacrosse, soccer, archery, golf and a host of other sports.

The right instructor can make all the difference in your performance just like the right golf pro. While I often have issues with organizations like GUE once divers can think on their own, for the beginning technical diver, GUE training offers one of the most rewarding experiences for those wishing to understand the keys to exceptional trim, buoyancy and propulsion skills.

I have yet to find a diver who cannot learn to maintain correct form and technique without having to resort to equipment solutions. Proof of this is that cave diving instructors come in both sexes and all shapes and sizes. Yet, they can dive any set of tanks, wet or dry, with a high degree of skill. This comes from training, practice, and experience.

If Lance Armstrong were a diving instructor, he would probably say, "It's not about the tanks." Learning to dive well; learning to dive doubles well can be frustrating at first. It takes work. Some divers get it right away. Some divers struggle for months. But, once you correct trim, buoyancy and propulsion through skill development, that will be 80% of the foundation you will need to begin to go anywhere and look good doing it.

Very well said Trace.:D

If it's a friend who is selling the 112s, will they go out for you on a dive where you can use them?

Although I normally agree with Trace on most things, I will disagree on the idea that anybody can trim out any tank. Yes, you CAN remain in trim, but it will require finning, if the static load is grossly unbalanced. If your application requires the ability to be motionless when you want to be, you either have to have tanks that easily work for you, or you have to do some trim weighting. Bob Sherwood worked with me for over an hour with my LP72s, and finally, after drastic alterations in my harness, concluded that I cannot, in fact, trim those tanks out without carrying excess weight or using weights in my pockets or on my ankles. If Bob couldn't get the job done, I don't think it's doable.

Take the tanks diving, if you can. When I first dove my 85s, it was like coming home. It still took some work to get the balance absolutely perfect (and it took less manipulation of weights than I thought at first, but it did take some) but I knew from the beginning that they were a good choice for me.

Body attitude and positioning can make a big difference.

Of cause it can , but if you used all that your head and leg compensation the only thing you can do is break your trim , this is not what the final goal is. Legs and head give you just some opportunities but they are limited.

Like TSandM said you can trim anything while moving but having a good trim being motionless required proper trim weight placement unless the tanks are just god w/o any weight

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. My error, the difficulity my friend had was with HP85's. He has low pressure 80's but does better with those. I do tend to believe each persons physiology lends itself better to some tank configurations. As for the LP112's, they seem heavier than what I want but it might just be a mental thing so I think I will ask to borrow them for a test drive and know for sure.

When I first started diving I thought by the time a person had about 100 dives they would know all there was to know about diving. Now that I am about at that point I realize how little I actually do know. Everytime I change something or upgrade equipment it seems like I am starting all over again. The learning curves are getting shorter though. If I live long enough I may be able to dive any piece of equipment with ease but until then I am enjoying the practice.

Thanks for all the input. My error, the difficulity my friend had was with HP85's. He has low pressure 80's but does better with those. I do tend to believe each persons physiology lends itself better to some tank configurations. As for the LP112's, they seem heavier than what I want but it might just be a mental thing so I think I will ask to borrow them for a test drive and know for sure.

When I first started diving I thought by the time a person had about 100 dives they would know all there was to know about diving. Now that I am about at that point I realize how little I actually do know. Everytime I change something or upgrade equipment it seems like I am starting all over again. The learning curves are getting shorter though. If I live long enough I may be able to dive any piece of equipment with ease but until then I am enjoying the practice.

If you think so... I got a helmet and 50lb weight belt you should try out.

Of cause it can , but if you used all that your head and leg compensation the only thing you can do is break your trim , this is not what the final goal is. Legs and head give you just some opportunities but they are limited.

Like TSandM said you can trim anything while moving but having a good trim being motionless required proper trim weight placement unless the tanks are just god w/o any weight

I was just pointing out that the legs/arms/head/back/feet/ankles etc. do make a pretty big contribution, you may need to move weight around as well, but it's certainly something to be aware of.

You want to try him in a 27 first or go streight to some old Mk V Heavy Gear?

The MK V scares me. Being bolted in always made me clausterphobic. I like being able to get myself out.

Back
Top Bottom