A divers arrogance and ignorance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mars2u

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I thought I'd convey a story that the DM told me when I was diving the Big Blue Explorer in Palau.
The DM (Andre) and I were comparing and showing each other our Vytec dive computers and describing how each of us prefer to set our computers. One screen actually shows the deepest depth reached for all the dives...when I looked at his, my mouth dropped...

Andre (the DM) was taking a group out diving and was in the back of the pack. As with each dive, they discussed the profile and max. depth. Andre was keeping an eye on everyone and noticed one of the divers missing. He looked around and signaled the lead DM that one diver was missing. Looking down he saw the diver DEEP beneath them. He knew this wasn't good. He went after the diver and approached him and signaled to ascend. The diver (who I'll refer to as moron) shook his head no. Andre pointed at his computer and was obviously getting upset at the moron since he knew this was a very dangerous situation...

You see, they were at 251 ft. That's what the depth on the Vytec displayed.

After a third attempt, the moron finally agreed and they began to ascend. Of course now, they're in DECO. Andre said his Vytec was beeping like crazy and luckily the lead DM had already aborted the dive and dropped tanks for the guys to use since the DECO was going to use up their existing air.

Once the dive was completed, Andre calmly asked the moron what he was thinking... "I just wanted to see what was down there." and acted like it was no big deal. He also claimed that the guy didn't show signs of "happy fins" at depth. The guy was just arrogant and stupid. The boat manager did have a "discussion" with the moron and he didn't attempt his tactics again.

I asked Andre would he do it again? Andre said, yes...but only if the visibility was clear enough to see someone at depth like it was that day. He did say he regretted it later for going after this moron. Seems that the guy got busted for drug trafficing 2 months later and was sentenced to 10 yrs. in the Phillipines.

So there it was 251 ft. displayed on his Vytec. We just kind of stared at it for a moment in silence...reflecting.

"You know..." Andre said "I kind of wish the Vytec wouldn't remind me of that"

We both half-heartedly chuckled.

I wouldn't have gone to 250 unless I was carrying enough gas to go to 250. PERIOD.

Mr. Moron would not have made any more dives under my supervision....that is if he had gotten back on the boat alive....there's no way in hell I would have gone after him....

nor was he apologetic in the end?

Maybe he had a death wish, knew he was going to be busted soon...perhaps he was using a little too much of his own product. Who knows...

At 251 feet you are narced (nitrogen narcosis). You do not have to show it, you just are!

At this deep Oxtox is also well into formation. The DM who save this guy's life was also not thinking clearly when he decended after him. If not for the topside crew and additional tanks available, both would bare minimum be decompressing in a chamber if they live long enough to make it there.

Read Last Dive. Same depth as the submarine the father/son dived on and died.

I'd have given serious thought to returning to boat for speargun and LOTS of line for this recovery!

Holy $#@!&*!!!!!!!!!!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I wouldn't have gone to 250 unless I was carrying enough gas to go to 250. PERIOD.

What would you have done?

Cornfed

is part of the job. If they die on your watch, through their own stupidity, it reflects poorly on your ability to keep track of morons.

Good thing they were on air, as their chances of toxing would have been far greater on EANx.

Doc

I have to agree with Mike. I'll go pretty deep to save another diver and I will accept quite a bit of risk to do so, but I will not lower my chances of survival beyond the point I won't expect to make it. An unplanned drop to 250 feet with a single tank is asking to die. There are some situations where you have to let idiots kill themselves.

"What would you have done?"

I would have notified his next of kin.

Back
Top Bottom