A dive of firsts at the Office

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsteding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got a nice dive in with Grateful Diver at Cove 2 today. We swam out to the red and white can buoy with a plan of dropping down to the I-Beams and maybe seeing a six gill. Bob and I descend, and make a b-line for the I-Beams, I've actually never seen the guy move so fast, and he had to motion to me to keep up a couple times (all this time, I've been working on going slooooowwwww and keeping in trim and position when diving with Bob).

We were clearly on a mission. Dive plan was to go down to the I-Beams, see what we could see, then cut over the pilings and take some pictures. I was diving my HP 130, Bob was also on a 130 with 2500 PSI-turn pressure was still when I got to 2000 psi.

We get down to the I-Beams, narcosis settles in over me, I am focussing on good buoyancy, checking my gas, and really just enjoying the place, as this is my first time to the I-Beams.

I make a little turn as Bob has turned left, and as I do I notice his camera is out and his light is aimed out in front of him. My eyes follow his light, and it has the giant freakin' shark tail in it. Bob had just come face to face with an 8-foot six gill that was now swimming away. Through the fog of narcosis came a bit of disappointment, the shark was clearly going the wrong way and receding into the dark of Puget Sound.

However, the six gill was curious and cooperative, it circled back, made a couple passes at us, then gently glided under both of us. With both our HIDs on it, we could clearly see it head to tail. A really amazing, beautiful creature. As it swam under us, I checked my depth gauge, 102 feet.

Bob said afterwards that my bubbles got a bit big when it swam near us, I got to 2000 psi a few moments later, and we went up the slope to see what else we could see.

Statistics:

43 minutes to 102 FSW, water was 54 degrees, with a noticable thermocline at about 15 feet.

Doug's firsts:

First trip to the I-Beams.
First time below 100 feet.
Oh yeah, and FIRST SIX GILL!!!!

Bob:

Another almost-milestone: this was Bob's 1498th dive. 1500 sounds like it is right around the corner.

That , Bob, is amazing, and thanks for the delightful dive.

Video of the six gill is forthcoming.

Bah! I was trying to see a sixgill this summer. Lame...Busy getting rained on in Hilo for my entire summer. What a bust.

I am Jack's Complete Attack of Jealousy...

Congrats! I hope to see a six-gill one of these days.....

D.

Talk about irony, we were at the start of the I-beam and were just leaving when Bob went by heading for the end of the I-beams. Needless to say that we were chatting after the dive and saw his video, AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH... as Charlie Brown would say. Just not our time.

Yeah Sandman, I saw you all coming up the I-beams, it must have been lurking to your right and down below you a bit when you were coming up . . . Bob's video came out pretty cool, all things considered, hopefully I can figure out a way to get it online and then I can post a link for people to check out.

sandman98007:
Talk about irony, we were at the start of the I-beam and were just leaving when Bob went by heading for the end of the I-beams. Needless to say that we were chatting after the dive and saw his video, AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH... as Charlie Brown would say. Just not our time.

I feel your pain. We were in the water right after Bob and Dsteding, and we ALWAYS go straight to the I-beams....except last night. We had a guy right out of OW class with us, and didn't want to take him that deep, so we went over by the honey bear instead.

It was also a dive of firsts for me..

First drysuit dive
First underweighted drysuit dive
First flooded drysuit dive

But, as always, bad diving always trumps no diving :)

The video looks quite good on the computer ... actually, the first half does. I got about 30 seconds of great shark footage ... and another 30 seconds of random lights and backscatter as I was trying to figure out how to shut the damn camera off ... :11:

Some tips for seeing sixgills ...

- avoid going in groups ... the sharks don't like crowds. Go in pairs. I think the reason we saw it and others didn't is because we were just getting there as everyone else was leaving.

- stay a few feet off the bottom ... I think sixgills see you far more often than you see them. It's just that unless you're a bit off the bottom, where you can look down as well as out, they're gonna be swimming in your "blind spot". I also think the reason people see them so often at the I-beams is because that's the one place where you're pretty much naturally gonna be swimming up off the bottom, because you're following the I-beam.

FWIW - I spotted my very first sixgill in almost exactly the same place about three years ago, with Cheng and Bob Lew.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The suspense is killing me. :jump: I'm 'ho-hum' about Discovery's upcoming "Shark Week", but I'm dying to see Bob's footage. :wink:

-Ben M.

It's a 70 meg .AVI file. I've got to get it in the hands of someone who can edit it and post it ... I don't have the ability to do that. Tried it once before with an octo video I made, and never did figure out how to do it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom