A Different Kind of - "Dive & Dine"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken

He Who Glows in the Dark Waters (ADVISOR)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Was sitting having a cold beer with a good friend of mine this weekend after I'd gone up to Holiday Marina to take some photos of the bottom of his sailboat.

We were discussing the interesting things that I'd discovered and reclaimed from underneath his dock and all of the other wonderfully wierd things that can be found under there.

Well, the thought popped up in my little pea brain that it would be great to have a Looney Bird Treasure Hunt!

So, I asked my buddy just how many people he could entertain on his dock. No particular number was discussed, but I was led to believe it could be a bunch.

Therefore, I pose the question, how many of ya would like to do a "Dive & Dine" up at Holiday Marina and do an "under the docks treasure hunt" - keep what ya find. This is like "Lift Bag City". It would probably be best to hunt in teams and then argue about who gets what after ya get it back to the dock.

Anyone interested???

theh K

Oh heck yeah, that sounds just awesome right there. When we goin ??? :D

I'll firm up a date.

the K

diving in the marina? holiday is pretty busy, I'd hate to see anyone chopped up in a prop for the sake of recovering a rusty wrench and some old card keys :) How to be safe about about? Isn't the water a bit stirred up and nasty?

Had at least 25' of visibility this past Saturday.

Under the dock doesn't mean under the prop.

The bottom under most slips is at least 15'.

It may not be for everyone, just an invitation.

the K

Get a date together and I should see you up there. What is the max depth, btw?

J:

Probably about 40' to 45'.

the K

Kracken,

what you propose seems like a lot of fun, but people need to be aware of the dangers of diving in marinas.

Not only are you in an overhead environment (boats, docks), but you've got many more worries of entanglement (rope and fishing line), fecal bacteria from sewage discharge, and most dangerously, electrical shock.

The reason I mention electrical shock is because shore power lines fall in the water, electrical circuits aren't maintained, GFCI circuits aren't used as they should be, etc.
We had a diver killed in a local marina a few years back because of an improperly wired electrical circuit "grounded" itself in the water. Once you swim into an electrical field, there isn't much you can do but sit there and 'fry'.

The problem is most marinas are usually on lakes not in cities and not always bound to follow electical codes. Often after they are built originally, there is no inspection of changes for code. Most marinas are not maintained to the caliber you'd expect. The other issue is boat owners. They do electrical changes to their boat that are sometiems dangerous and almost all boats have a steel ground at some point.

Do a google search on diver and electocuted and you'll find several cases of it.

while the boat owners won't like it, do an electrical lock-out (with a padlock) for the dock your diving on. Your life might depend on it.

I'm not trying to be a party pooper, but like you said it might not be for everyone. Folks should know the dangers involved over standard recreational diving.

Back
Top Bottom