A deceptively easy way to die

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, I got that, it just wasn't germaine to the point I was trying to make. Cave diving CAN be dangerous, some do die, the message to be careful about cave diving (includes training) is important. To my point, the way risk is discussed on SB and in particular in the Basic forum, might also be worth considering.

This kind of melodramatic hyperbole is why it's difficult to have productive discussions about topics like this. For the most part - and I mean a really really large part - diving is safe and in fact quite easy to make almost perfectly safe, and it's almost unheard of (sure, there are exceptions that prove the rule) for anyone to die from putting their heads just inside a cave. Or even their whole body. Even by several body lengths.

If you had quoted the sentence that followed as well you would see that you are actually agreeing with me here. Bold added
To say that diving is safe or can be safe is a fallacy. We can make it safer but we are entering an environment we did not evolve to function in, relying on equipment that could fail and hoping Mother Nature doesn't decide to show her nasty side while we are doing it.

If you love to harp on the dangers, the onus should be on you to specify the dimensions under which the way YOU dive is dangerous, or what exact aspects you see to have introduced danger. "Underwater" or "overhead" just doesn't express it.

I will give you another quote....
This isn't the first time a highly trained and experienced diver has died in benign conditions and unfortunately it won't be the last. Complacency kills
Said by the police diver who had just finished interviewing me as part of the investigation of a death that occurred on a dive with me. The site and conditions were as benign as it was possible to be but clearly not safe as a dive instructor with more experience than most of us will ever get in our lifetimes died in shallow water. IMHO complacency starts when people believe they are totally safe underwater.

Don't get me wrong I believe it is possible to make a dive "safe enough" to justify the activity. The only way to do that is to to teach people how to recognize the risks so they can make the determination about what is "safe enough" for them. We can't do that by sugar coating the activity and telling them that is is a safe activity.

I wholeheartedly agree that taking charge of your own safety is no one else's responsibility, and that as a corollary entrusting your life to a pro should be done with a great degree of informed skepticism. Yet exactly what is flogged here day in and day out is to seek out professionals, just make sure it's a good one.

If the point is that on the one hand you need more training *from a professional*, this cert and that cert *from a professional*, mentoring and guidance *from a professional* - and that is pretty much the ONLY way advancement is presented by the professionals on this board, and on the other "oh, don't forget, taking a professional's advice will get you killed", the whole concept and messaging behind this self-policing needs reworking. The professionals part I mean. Maybe the irony wasn't so obvious as I thought.

I certainly agree with most of what you say here. I also find it ironic that you find it unacceptable to show a video that encourages divers to think for themselves rather than enter an environment because someone else is pressuring them to do so. The video specifically mentions Instructors not trained for cave dying in caves!

The reality is many activities can be relatively safe when performed by those with a high level of skills and training. Unfortunately, many people newer to these activities have neither and often quickly belief themselves to be much better than they are. This is when the activities quickly become very dangerous as folks find themselves in over their heads. Ignorance is bliss... til something goes wrong.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

As above it isn't just people new to the activity who die. Those who have enough experience to start thinking the rules don't apply to them die as well. Complacency does kill. Complacent belief in the Dive Guide or your own ability to handle anything that comes up both kill divers way too often:shakehead:

Interesting, SB should not allow a video in the Basic forums, a video on the dangers that diving in caves can expose divers to, because not every diver will have a chance to dive near a cave.

Young student drivers also should not see videos or images of accidents involving speed or alcohol, because not every teenager will be tempted to drive fast, or attempt to mix alcohol or drugs with driving.

Diving is an activity with a higher risk than many other sports, simply because we cannot survive long under water without life support.
Add the deceptively simple act of entering into a very inviting cave, just to look around, and you've suddenly compounded those risks, yet this warning does not belong where new divers can see it, and learn from it?

BS. This is just where it does belong.

Don't get me wrong I believe it is possible to make a dive "safe enough" to justify the activity. The only way to do that is to to teach people how to recognize the risks so they can make the determination about what is "safe enough" for them. We can't do that by sugar coating the activity and telling them that is is a safe activity.
No argument there, though to be fair you did lead with the hyperbole and then contradict it in the next sentence. It's the style and approach that I was attempting to ask about in this thread.

I certainly agree with most of what you say here. I also find it ironic that you find it unacceptable to show a video that encourages divers to think for themselves rather than enter an environment because someone else is pressuring them to do so. The video specifically mentions Instructors not trained for cave dying in caves!
Your sense of irony is a bit blinkered I have to say. Never said such a thing. I attempted to use my take on the impact of this THREAD (for the umpteenth time, not the vid) and the tack it evinced as an opportunity to ask about how the subject of risk is approached.

... so where's the "line" at which it's not safe anymore. There are caves ... I've been in a few ... where you can be only "several body lengths" from the entrance, and with one errant fin kick so silt up the bottom that you can't see your hand in front of you. Now what do you do? Do you know which way is out? Did you bother to run a line, or simply rely on the fact that you could see the entrance? It's incredibly easy once the silt's stirred up to get yourself so turned around you end up going deeper into the cave, thinking that's the way out ... or you end up in that side passage right near the entrance that takes you into a completely unfamiliar part of the cave.
The answer as you know is the same as for all such questions: it depends. History shows that the overwhelming majority of those who dare to venture "into" "caves" or any other graded danger manage to stay on the right side of the line, presumably with the probability of also getting better at it through experience. Does that derive significantly from their fortune of having been exposed to copious reinforcement that fatality is the risk? I mean, the title is A deceptively easy way to die? Read it and weep. Who knew? (I know, I know, x,y,z obviously didn't 'cause they died. That's some QED right there for sure). If not, then is it simply that it's too much trouble to elaborate much on the internet, so simply blurting out the biggest and most primal fear is the best shorthand? The rest will naturally follow from such a seductive entree? Of course, there are plenty of good sober thoughtful discussions here on SB. I'm not talking about those.

I assume you have kids. When coaching them to cross the road safely, did you find it most effective to first warn them in lurid terms that they could die in the next moments if not taking heed of your counsel? And then for good measure, blindside them regularly with similar fearful reminders, out of the blue, so as to best ensure one more life would be saved?

I solo dive. Sometimes I do solo dives in rather deep or remote places, where I incur deco obligations, and/or where help is many hours away. Occasionally I do it in places where if something bad happened, there's no one even around who would know I was missing. Some people would call those kinds of risks dangerous. And if I were not appropriately trained, experienced, and equipped (both physically and mentally), the risks would certainly be beyond what a reasonable person would call acceptable. But having been trained, having experienced the potential hazards, carrying redundancies, having maintained a physical and mental state that enables me to manage the potential hazards reduces the risks to an acceptable level. I am more cautious in terms of paying attention to what's going on around me. I'll be quicker than usual to pull the plug on the dive if something doesn't "feel" right. I'm put more effort into planning and preparation, and into mentally assessing the risks as the dive progresses. Because, at all levels, that's what a responsible diver does. That same dive, performed by someone who is unaware of the risks, hasn't been properly trained, or even by someone who has overestimated their ability to manage the risks, would amount to an interview with Darwin.
OK. I've started a couple of replies, but realize I'm not sure what you're conveying here. I'll read it as an elaboration of matching preparedness to circumstances. Every rational person does that but not many are shooting a ridge in a wingsuit or clearing a building in Fallujah, so extreme training and protocol are not so critical generally. Over the years of reading similar accounts here I've often wondered, does what you do scare you on any level, in the sense of residual trauma - ever watch an interview with Jeb Corliss? - and do you think that colors your approach to scuba advice or instruction?

It depends on the individual. Most folks have a reasonable sense of survival. Not all do ... I've seen people do some surprisingly stupid things underwater, even on simple open water dives. I've seen people swim inside a wreck without a light, into a cave without a line, and attempt stupidly deep dives on a single AL80, without even a thought of whether or not they had enough gas in the tank to make it. Most of the time nothing goes wrong, and they come out of it just fine ... without even a clue of the risks they were taking. But all it takes is for one single thing to go wrong and their margins are so thin that they end up dead.
Aside from inferring something you can't know, if that were true, the body count would be higher. Since it isn't it's apparent their capabilities are better matched to the circumstances than you give credit for. I've done the first two things you mention, had things go wrong, and survived not from enormous fortune, but because the margins are not usually that thin. Maybe assessment of margins is the where the assertion of cluelessness goes wrong.

Taking training *from a professional* is a very different thing than blindly following a *professional* into an overhead environment and simply trusting that they know what they're doing. The former occurs under very specific, controlled circumstances, by someone who has experience in the environment they're taking you into, and precisely for the purpose of teaching you how to recognize and mitigate the risks. The latter is a tour guide, being paid to show you a good time. As was the case in Italy, they often have little more ... or in some cases less ... experience in that environment than you do. They are not being regulated by any agency in terms of what they can and cannot do. You haven't vetted them ... as you (hopefully) have with your instructor. The risks you are taking in those two circumstances are not even close to being comparable. The fact that you'd even make that argument is a clear indication that you have no clue what you're talking about.
You simply begged the question. Setting aside the false dichotomy between who teaches and who leads astray, this is just reiterating only listen to the good instructors, and when they're wrong, don't listen to them, they weren't good instructors.

Have you ever even taken a tech class? I'm beginning to think not.
Nope, I've no interest in that sort of diving, and through experience have learned to distinguish adequately (presumed through inference). If I get spooked, I re-visit.

Actually they're good analogies in this respect ... in all of them you're putting yourself into an environment which is well beyond your everyday experience, and which can kill you quick if you haven't properly prepared to manage the risks. I realize you think that simple reef dives are inherently safe ... but I know of plenty of fatalities that have occurred in relatively shallow, benign water. Many of them have been rather extensively talked about right here on ScubaBoard in our A&I forum. Some of them involved former members ... some of whom were rather well known and experienced divers when those accidents occurred. The risks are there, always ... and all it takes, regardless of your skill and experience ... is to take them too lightly ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
That's another hyperbolic turn of phrase. Rec scuba per se is not so much beyond the experience of swimmers and snorkelers - with notable upgrade in survivability-enhancing equipment. The risks that scuba uniquely introduces are easy to grasp and manage. So yes, I think simple dives are inherently safe enough, since I've had basic training and was fortunate enough to gain experience and some confidence prior to coming to SB where some of the pros seemed intent on scaring me back out of the water (and into their classes perhaps).

The choice of sites is a whole different matter. Fortunately it seems like many locales have plenty of the safer ones, if one prefers.

Sure, people die, but what convinces you that sensationalizing that that's what's at stake is so vital for the Basic Scuba forum? Or are we back to arguing whether caves are indeed dangerous or not? Maybe you just don't share my reaction that invoking death is sensationalizing.

For those poor souls you refer to, in that moment they realized that their survival was imminently at stake, do you think they were better prepared and more effective rallying to the task, having had a long history of training that was heavily flavored with the insinuation they were going to die?

Last edited:
For those poor souls you refer to, in that moment they realized that their survival was imminently at stake, do you think they were better prepared and more effective rallying to the task, having had a long history of training that was heavily flavored with the insinuation they were going to die?

Now who was complaining about hyperbole here? Pot, meet kettle.

No-one has argued for filling a scuba class with chants of "you're gonna die, you're gonna die, you're gonna die". The point of the video is to illustrate a not evidently obvious danger so that "those poor souls" shouldn't suddenly find themselves in a situation where they "realize that their survival is imminently at stake". Why do you refuse to realize that?

A lot of stuff

OK, fine.

You're perfectly safe underwater. Just like your training agency told you. Nothing is ever going to happen, ever, to you or your friends or your buddies.

You are obviously well-trained and have perfect judgment, as do all the divers around you, so you will never be or have to see an icky dead diver because that only happens to other people who are poorly trained and don't follow dive agency standards.

Will you sleep better now?

I don't see the hyperbole you reference. The prep of the psyche goes right to the heart of the question when that moment arrives. Do you truly think positive or negative reinforcement or imagery are immaterial in that regard?

And please Storker, consider my pledge that it's not the risks detailed in the video that I was quarreling with.

And I'm going to disagree with you again, the invocation of death risk is regularly made here with little or no qualification of its probability given the specifics of the discussion.

---------- Post added December 6th, 2015 at 03:38 AM ----------

OK, fine.

You're perfectly safe underwater. Just like your training agency told you. Nothing is ever going to happen, ever, to you or your friends or your buddies.

You are obviously well-trained and have perfect judgment, as do all the divers around you, so you will never be or have to see an icky dead diver because that only happens to other people who are poorly trained and don't follow dive agency standards.

Will you sleep better now?
I don't follow what you were referencing. "A lot of stuff"? Sorry it's late here you'll have to do a better job of linking your projections to what's been said. Or maybe you got what you came for. Great wake-up snark, eh?

with little or no qualification of its probability given the specifics of the discussion.

DAN just published their "annual" report covering 2012-2015.

Findings: fatalities are very rare, true, but still happen more frequently than they should.

There is just so very much to refute in your last post that I started thinking how I'd even begin to frame it, but I'm at work today and have to train real-life rescue drills instead of type out what would probably be a several thousand word, point-by-point rebuttal which you seem uncomfortable with... So I gave up.

---------- Post added December 6th, 2015 at 02:04 AM ----------

555a4f27b34b7b49687081b675cea0e8.jpg

How many of these were preventable?
How many people could have had the dangers they face with every dive (not just talking about caves specifically, though I still think DEWTD can be easily relatable to all diving) driven a bit further home and change the course of their decision tree in such a way they could have gone home?

The prep of the psyche goes right to the heart of the question when that moment arrives. Do you truly think positive or negative reinforcement or imagery are immaterial in that regard?
There is an old saying in aviation that experienced pilots use their superior knowledge and judgment to avoid having to use their superior skills. The message to less experienced aviators is that they are lacking in knowledge and skill, they need to rely even more heavily on good judgement to ensure they choose a prudent course of action.

The same concept applies in diving. Open water divers don't even know enough to know what they don't know. And when I say "open water diver" I refer to all of them - OW, AOW, DM and Instructor. Until a diver has had extensive training in an overhead environment they are not even knowledgeable enough to accurately assess the risks, let alone accurately self assess their skills and abilities in relation to the risk.

The point of a video like A Deceptively Easy Way to Die is to simply demonstrate how something that sounds like a good idea really isn't when you have no real conception of the dangers involved, and when you have no real way of even knowing how to assess the dangers involved.

If it dissuades a single diver from entering a cave and thus saves a life, then it's worthwhile. If it scares a number of divers to the point they quit diving, then that's ok too, as they were obviously misinformed regarding the point that all diving does entail some level of risk. The key point is that diving involves an adjustable level of risk and, if a diver is aware of the risks, the diver can self select the level of risk they are willing to accept in diving. They don't have that option when all they are armed with is ignorance.

I don't see the hyperbole you reference.

You're welcome.

I get what is being said about low standards regarding safety, but I think most people only see two options:

1) you scare the s*** out of beginners and that will make them dive properly
2) people will behave like fearless, mindless fools and get themselves killed

From what I've read so far, I still don't get the NEED to be so gloomy upfront. Isn't it possible to teach people to dive safely without showing them a video of a diver dying in a horrible manner?

Someone mentioned several posts ago about teaching a kid how to cross the street. Do you show your kids a video of other kids being run over and dismembered by big trucks to accomplish that?

Again, I do agree safety is not being emphasized enough. After only ~100 dives I already realize my initial training was rather insufficient, so to speak.
I just don't see any way in which watching this video would have helped - actually, quite on the contrary. Some people who did OW with me were already pretty nervous and would probably have had a breakdown after thinking "I'm about to die a horrible death". Today they still dive and as far as I know not one is even considering going into caves.

Indeed it is possible,

I and countless other instructors have done it for years.

One just needs to explain to the students there is a progression in everything and scuba is no different, down the line it may be possible, but here and now its not, its not necessary to show video's like this to stress this fact to your students either.

I quite like your analogy of trucks and crossing the street, many new divers are cautious about just going under the surface, showing a video like this is tantamount to showing a kid a truck accident victim. Millions of kids the world over are taught how to cross the street safely by just plain old parent education and I am willing to bet good money few parents showed their kids gruesome movies of road deaths to re-enforce safe street crossing. I see no difference in scuba instruction, teach the students that the course they are undergoing is not designed for overhead environments, stress its an Openwater course and they need to have safe direct access to the surface at all times. The overwhelming majority of students will listen and heed the warning, I see zero need for shock tactics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom