A day in Cozumel Dec.15th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pleasan7

Registered
Reaction score
Our cruise docked at Cozumel after a bumpy night. Cozumel had just had a storm go by that night. The weather was once again clear and beautiful in the morning but the waves were up. They were continuous so we telephoned Chellie with Eagle Ray Divers and cancelled. She was very understanding, refunding us the deposit. She later mentioned that the dock was closed so they would not have gone out that day. We were very disappointed to have not gotten to dive. We walked back to the ship changed and came back in, you walk up and through a mall because they are working on the road right there. We caught a taxi to Chankanaab National Marine Park ($10.00 for the taxi, and $12.00 for adult admission - children are cheaper). It has a cultural attraction walk that I like to take, there is a small pool like area that small children would enjoy that is sea water. They do rent snorkel gear and I like the beach seats. There is not a real beach to walk into the water there but it drops off only about 15 feet so the snorkeling used to be fun. No one was out because the sea was too rough. It was fun to watch people swim with the dolphins. They do have too many dolphins to support in the small area that is fenced in. I saw at least 10 and one had a baby. It was not a good location because Chankanaab is the location of a natural fish breeding ground. It is a small lagoon in land with two entrances. Tunnels that they used to let divers use but had to stop as the divers kicked up too much silt and disturbed the fish. The fish population is greatly decreased since I was there 10 years ago. The cab driver mentioned how the reef is suffering because of the increase in the visitor and population of the island but I wonder if it is not the decrease in the tropical fish that are coming to breed at Chankanaab. Less see how productive can it be to have a fish predator (dolphins) trapped outside a fish breeding ground (and probably not getting enough food?). I bet they eat everything that comes within reach. (Stepping down off soap-box) I do enjoy the day there. We would have gone horse back riding as it is on the way to Chankanaab but I forgot it was there. I hope you have better luck with the weather.
Carol

pleasan7:
...The fish population is greatly decreased since I was there 10 years ago. The cab driver mentioned how the reef is suffering because of the increase in the visitor and population of the island but I wonder if it is not the decrease in the tropical fish that are coming to breed at Chankanaab. Less see how productive can it be to have a fish predator (dolphins) trapped outside a fish breeding ground (and probably not getting enough food?). I bet they eat everything that comes within reach. (Stepping down off soap-box) I do enjoy the day there. We would have gone horse back riding as it is on the way to Chankanaab but I forgot it was there. I hope you have better luck with the weather.
Carol
Glad you guys had a fun day in Coz, and sorry you didn't get to dive. My wife and I "swam" with the dolphins when I was there in February last year. It was a highlight of the trip for us. I understand there are some serious issues with dolphins being couped up in pens in some areas, but frankly I didn't see that in Chankanaab (maybe I'm just trying to assuage some guilt for having supported their program). I just wanted to say I saw lots of fish swimming freely amongs the dolphins. I asked the trainer why the dolphins didn't eat the fish - his comment was that the dolphins much prefer the food that they get from the trainers.

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom