A couple of fins questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shakespear:
1. What type of fin do you wear booties for? (open heel or the other one)

2. Can anyone recomend a good split fin?

1. Booties are worn with open heel fins. The other kind are called full foot fins.

2. I don't use splits, but many people seem to like Apollo Bio-Fins.

The Apolllo Bio Fins always seem to get good reviews. The Scuba Pro twin jets also seem popular. I don't have split fins so I'll refrain from saying more.

I have heard several divers say that Bio fins are the best of the bunch. I am a Scubapro fan but I have tried both of Scubapro's split fins and did not liek either of them all that well.

Of course, I think the phrase "good split fin" is an oxymoron and will probably dive my Scubapro Jet Fins until the day I die.

shakespear:
1. What type of fin do you wear booties for? (open heel or the other one)

2. Can anyone recomend a good split fin?

while booties are worn with open heel, sometimes you'll see people
wearing socks or aqua-socks with regular closed heel fins because
sometimes the fins wear.

I've got the Tusa split fins and like those, but have heard good things
about the Apollo and others.

I suggest you pick up this months Scuba Diving magazine as they are doing
a fin review in it. Their reviews are typically slightly biased though
and they don't ever seem to review some brands. Just FYI before
you think their word is "gold". But it's better than nothing.

DA Aquamaster:
Of course, I think the phrase "good split fin" is an oxymoron and will probably dive my Scubapro Jet Fins until the day I die.

BINGO, we have a BINGO.

Shakespear before purchasing the split fin why don't you give a paddle fin a try.
The Mares Avanti quattro is pretty much the standard when it comes to paddle fins, although they are newer/better models out there.
Try them both out, (split + non-split) and then decide what's best for you!

1) Unless you live on perfect beachs with no rocks anywhere to be seen (kinda boring if you ask me :14: ) I would suggest you go with open heel fins and booties.

2) Sorry I have to put in a big vote for JetFins...I'll wear the same pair until I'm in a nursing home (they are already 15+ years old).

BUT the Apollo splits, Atomic splits and the Oceanic splits are all *good* split fins. I've used all of them, and they only work for flutter kicks...nothing else. My better half used to use Atomic splits...she now uses and loves her JetFins :D

2. Apollo bio-fins... I use it with my DUI rockboots, they are so comfortable and easy to dive with.

Another vote for Apollo's Bio-Fin. Go with the spring strap version. There pricey but worth every penny. Sid

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom