A case to hold electronics while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sweet Jesus, why? I despise hot water and hot weather! I’m way too hot when the quarry is in the low 70s on the shallow side in the summer. Why should I pay good money to go somewhere for warm water diving? Makes no sense. The cost of a tropical trip would pretty much cover an unlimited annual pass for DRIS’ boats. Much better value for my dollars.

We know Marie. Sigh. We know. I would sooner go diving in the Antarctic (did that) in a Speedo than get an unlimited pass for the DRIS boat package. We have Dutch Springs up here and I have to be tied down to work up there 5 or 6 times a year. I could easily be the chairman of the Warm Water Wuss Society.

Sweet Jesus, why? I despise hot water and hot weather! I’m way too hot when the quarry is in the low 70s on the shallow side in the summer. Why should I pay good money to go somewhere for warm water diving?
the oceans cover 71 percent of the Earth's surface and contain 97 percent of the Earth's water. Less than 1 percent of the Earth's water is fresh water

Think of what your missing...

the oceans cover 71 percent of the Earth's surface and contain 97 percent of the Earth's water. Less than 1 percent of the Earth's water is fresh water

Think of what your missing...

You're

And, no, I'm not missing anything.

How do you know?

Fish and coral? Meh. I want my Great Lakes wrecks that don't have anything but mussels covering them.

Cold vs hot? I'll always chose the cold.

How many Sharks have you dove with in the Great Lakes? Whale Sharks? Manta Rays? Humpback Whales? Sea Lions? Dolphins? Schooling Hammerheads?

It's not all coral reef and pretty fish. If you don't like warm water, the Socorros liveabaords see all of that in one week at the right time of year. Bring the 7 mil.

Or dive in SoCal - sharks and sea lions can be seen at inexpensive beach diving sites. Plus the Kelp forests are one of the unique ecosystems of the world. Water there averages in the high 50's much of the year.

I'd guess (I do not know) that there are more wrecks off Bermuda or St. Thomas than any of the great lakes. But that is warm water. San Diego has a wreck alley also. Google best shipwreck dive sites, most are in the oceans.

How to take things with you underwater so you don't risk losing them to theft from your truck while parked at a dive site is a fairly common Bonaire question. I think most people just leave their phone in their accommodations and don't take it with them to the dive sites, but some do, including me. I like the idea of having it in case of emergency. The question about waterproof cases comes up more often in the context of what to do with the keys to the truck. LOTS of threads on that. As for phone-specific cases, canisters, etc., I found this thread:

Waterproof case for phone

A more general discussion:

Keeping things safe in Bonaire

Keys:

Waterproof storage for keys while shore diving

I know you didn't ask, but I would never advise taking anything electronic underwater, no matter what it is in. Chip car keys nowadays have spurned discussions on SB as to what to do with them. I think what I would do would be to hide it somewhere in the (motel) room--like under the mattress? Or maybe there is a room safe? Tough question. My wife's passport was stolen once, but she left it lying on a motel bed. That was in Las Vegas. The Canadian Consulate in LA was no help at all. She had to somehow fly to Detroit and have someone drive across the border to get her and drive back. What would you do with your passport in Bonaire?--probably even more important than your phone.
If you leave the car keys in the hotel, then how do you drive to the dive operation?

Back
Top Bottom