A boat is a hole in the ,,,,,,

How many divers have their own dive boat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moneysavr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Whew,
Just got back in after working on the dive boat after a winter out of water a few things needed to be done like re do a few seats, check the fuel cell out, and get a new starter as last fall the old one missed a few trys, not good!
One thing I noticed as working on the boat things seem just more money when you use boat in the same line!
Like a clamp I needed for the top $14.00 at WestMarine and like $24.00 from a boat top repair shop ~same clamp!
But then I look at what I pay for dive charters and know they are well worth the price you pay on trips or locals dives= as boat parts ,Ins,fuel,Labor,repairs boat dock fees and on and on! Man I have no problem peeling the $55-$75.00 + tip for a double tank dive and still wonder how the guys do it???
That said if I had to charter no way would I get 75 + dives each short dive season we have up hear in Wisconsin,meet new folks as they are allways welcome to join me for some dives thru the year! and have the other use's for the boat as water skiing, fishing, wreck hunting, and getting some sun! nothing like being out on a boat on a hot summer day!
So It is worth every cent!
Dive safe!
Brad

you have some great point and info there for me to consider as i am looking to buy a boat real soon, now i am just going to buy an inflatable, but still need to consider cost and all of that stuff you mentioned, it also brings to light the fact that the charter guys really arent charging us so much after all!! thanks

Jim,
Then you are going to have to slow down to 55 MPH on the way down to Monterey.... I've been thinking about getting a small inflatable for a while but just can't convince myself since it seems I don't dive enough.

I have a little Zodiac inflatable with a 2 hp Johnson dose that count? Boats are expensive but if you have the time to use them frequently they are worth the investment.

Steven Q

I had a 12' Achilles inflatable with a 25 hp. Cheapest boat to operate I ever had, manual start, it was ready to go when I was. I owned it when I worked on a ship and it was stowable.

Current 25 footer-Approx $500 for platform and ladder, tuna tower $1000, mods to get tuna tower to fit my boat will be approx $1000, anyone know a reasonable S Fl aluminum welder. Port engine has a milky color in exhaust, no idea what it is, no oil in crancase so I guess that's good, no idea what that will cost. It's about time to haul it out of the water, that will cost minimum of $1000.

I've owned a boat for about the last 30 years, I'd feel neckid without one.

I own a 14' Achilles also with a 25hp engine it has an optional electric starter but I haven't used it yet just more weight in the boat and I have never had a problem starting it yet. I have a couple of picture's of in in my photo gallery so check them out if you would like.

DennisS:
I had a 12' Achilles inflatable with a 25 hp. Cheapest boat to operate I ever had, manual start, it was ready to go when I was. I owned it when I worked on a ship and it was stowable.

Current 25 footer-Approx $500 for platform and ladder, tuna tower $1000, mods to get tuna tower to fit my boat will be approx $1000, anyone know a reasonable S Fl aluminum welder. Port engine has a milky color in exhaust, no idea what it is, no oil in crancase so I guess that's good, no idea what that will cost. It's about time to haul it out of the water, that will cost minimum of $1000.

I've owned a boat for about the last 30 years, I'd feel neckid without one.

Hey Denniss do you have any pictures of your Achilles?

MONEYSAVR good to know you have at least two hobbies. You not alone, I'm in the same "boat".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom