A Beginning Workout target to This Middle-age Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
why distilled guys?
I think some like the idea that distilled is as close to 'absolute' H2O (no minerals, contaminants, supplements, etc.) as you can get.

wb416, if you're middle-aged, then I'm perfectly fermented...
At 52 (thanks to a sane diet, and a slightly compulsive, definitely intense, but steady workout regimen), I'm in better shape than I've been in 25 years.
It's not magic, it's not pills. As someone wisely stated here... it's lifestyle...

I am an Athletic Trainer, I own a clinic and have hundreds of people ask me about workouts and what is best. I used to give cookie cutter answers to a lot of people, based off of what I was taught and what I had read in magazines like Muscle and Fitness. However, as I research legitmate scientific research I found a lot of differences between what I was taught and what was truly shown to biuld muscle mass at any age. In fact, I realized that we were being taught how to exercise by steroid abusing, money hungry, magazine selling fiends! Not to be all conspiracy theory on you, but a lot of what we know is not backed by any real research. The research that is out there actually calls for much less workout and more rest. I decided to try it and I got amazing gains. My strength went up 10-15% every workout. I am not going to bore you with all the details, but if anyone is interested, email me. I will share what I have read...and no...I am not selling ANYTHING! :)

I seem to be the main poster in this thread. That is OK. I have ther perspective of a mature person who also has the advantage of a first class gym and working out with a bunch of guys who are resetting to go back to Iraq and their newbies who are trying to learn the game.

THE most important exercise is aerobic. That is the foundation of everything. For this there is no such thing as Too Much. More and Harder is Better To A Point. You should ALWAYS be able to conduct a conversation while exercising. If you are gasping for breath the exercise is anerobic and not what you are after. If you can talk it is what you want, aerobic.

Next is weights. Again more is better as long as you do it slow and easy. Lots of reps is better than few reps. A bit of stiffness or pain is OK. As long as it is a "bit". Start easy and build. You'll soon know your body.

I'm not a body builder in the Beautiful Body perspective. I"m a body builder in the I've got to split wood, get my 500 pound snowmachine unstuck, haul 100 pound containers of fuel, 200 pound propane tanks, twin scuba tanks, shovel snow, kind of body builder.

BUT, this works for me. Ain't no subsitute for each person getting to know themself well enough to cut through all the opinions and snake oil and develop their own Rest Of Life program.

Bests

emcbride81:
The research that is out there actually calls for much less workout and more rest. I decided to try it and I got amazing gains. My strength went up 10-15% every workout. I am not going to bore you with all the details, but if anyone is interested, email me. I will share what I have read...and no...I am not selling ANYTHING! :)

This is the path I've migrated to as well.

wb416:
That's a rather vain conclusion considering I have twice as many posts in this thread as you do and also started this thread.

Not vain; just can't count:)

I just finished a trip to "paradise". While I traveled around various venues I was struck by the observation that most people were FAT.

I must say that if you are speaking of Honolulu....you were more than likely looking at fat tourists. Honolulu was just named America' s healthiest city, most years it comes in at the top of the list.

Yes, the Hawaiians have an obesity problem but they don't represent a large number of the population on Oahu.

I'm not sure if the Asian demographics give us our edge on health, but that is what I suspect.

wb416:
Did your brother say anything about elipticals being hard on knee joints or have you noticed anything? Just curious....I hear that sometimes, don't really know.

Hey, how long are you spending on this workout, each day?

catherine96821:
wb416:
Did your brother say anything about elipticals being hard on knee joints or have you noticed anything? Just curious....I hear that sometimes, don't really know.

Hey, how long are you spending on this workout, each day?
Actually, he introduced me to the elliptical because jogging and the treadmill were not only hard on my knees, but also the ankle ligaments that I was rehabbing.

I don't use this particular workout anymore since my fitness goals have changed, but when I was, I was in the gym around 45-90mins with something around an hour being the norm.

I have a home-gym and elliptical here at the condo, so I've opted to focus more on mass than light fitness.

catherine96821:
I must say that if you are speaking of Honolulu....you were more than likely looking at fat tourists.

Nope on both counts.

Okay, Fred, I am going to call you out on this.

Honolulu is not an obese place.

here ya go

Hawaii, along with Colorado, had the lowest obesity rate in the nation at 14.9 percent of the population in 2000, up from 8.4 percent in 1991 in both states. The nationwide median was 19.6 percent in 2000.

Brilliant...you walk around see some obese people and decide that Oahu is "fat". Just ain't true.

...you are kinda nuts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom