A beginner seeking advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is difficult to find a digital bottom timer these days and if you find one, it will about the same price, or even a little more, as the price of a basic dive computer. I don't see the point of a digital bottom timer at all especially considering where you live with plenty of diving almost all year round. I'd buy a basic new dive computer, SP or AL, and forget about the unrealistic options.

It is difficult to find a digital bottom timer these days and if you find one, it will about the same price, or even a little more, as the price of a basic dive computer.

I didn't have any idea about this... but a quick research on amazon confirmed what you said (in the past it was easier to find bottom-timers/depth-gauges, I swear! :) ). Yes, for the same price I would go for a computer, no reason to spend the same amount of money to have less.

But my first option for new divers is still to rent.

Buy a cheapo computer and you can get used to how it works. Not necessarily the case with renting.

Usually new divers start slowly, doing not many dives per year, and they cannot be sure if they like this activity. Consequently:
- to spend a lot of money is a bet: what if six months after they decide to quit?
- the low amount of dives does not justify the cost of equipment, except for some items that must fit properly (the mask first of all, but others as well)

Another reason is that, because they are new to the activity, they do not know what they want. If they rent, they can try some different equipment and understand better what they need/like (although this applies more to other stuff, since differences between diving computers are not huge).

Lastly, I have the perception that new divers tend to rely too much on their own equipment, and this is especially true for the computer. Getting used to different stuff, and to different computers, is a big plus IMHO. I think the best for OW divers is to use computers just as bottom-timer/depth-gauge at the beginning, to start developing a bit of awareness about diving time, NDL, etc.

These reasons do not make the difference between life and death, so if one wanna immediately buy a computer (and/or other pieces) for whatever reasons, that's more than welcome :)

That said, my experience is very limited, so opinions from more expert divers (like you maybe?) or instructors are probably more valuable

I would skip Cressi computers or anything Cressi.

Why is that?

We are getting ready to buy gear and Cressi is one of the options we are considering. I have a Leonardo and most of the rental gear we have used and are familiar with is Cressi.

Unless you discover that 2 out of 3 of the dive computers in your rental gear don't work, and you don't really know how to use the working one either. A cheap wrist computer was the first thing I bought after the mask and fins, and it has worked fine since then.
Yep yep and yep. Had my own computers for a long time, but a few years ago I did not bring my gear on vacation and did some spur of the moment diving. In spite of my best attempts I could barely understand the depth and NDL. When it started chatting at me and flashing obscure symbols I had no idea of what it was gripping about. I looked it up later and it was set to do a deep stop and was having a fit when I did my 5 min SS. Another diver had to end a dive early due to a dead comp at 30’. You are also banking on it being configured correctly. Salt, Fresh, Altitude etc. Not saying it can’t be done with a rental, but having a comfort level with your computer makes a dive much more pleasant IMO.

It is difficult to find a digital bottom timer these days and if you find one, it will about the same price, or even a little more, as the price of a basic dive computer. I don't see the point of a digital bottom timer at all especially considering where you live with plenty of diving almost all year round. I'd buy a basic new dive computer, SP or AL, and forget about the unrealistic options.
Not really that difficult, Scubapro makes one that is widely available here in Europe at least.
A bit cheaper than a Suunto Zoop or equivalent, I got one as a backup to my Perdix.
Great for a backup and the battery life is incredible, but it would make for a very poor first choice for someone IMO, there's better actual dive computers around the same price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom