90lb wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

90lb is unnecessary, and unsafe if you are hauling a Spanish anchor from the bottom. BCD=buoyancy compensation device. Its name describes exactly what it is there for, compensate for buoyancy. Buoyancy changes due to exposure protection, and as you consume gas in your tanks. It should NEVER be used to lift something off of the bottom, that is what lift bags are for...
90lb wing is as ridiculous as the picture that @loosenit2 posted...
Well, he could turn it into a lift bag. lol

That 94lb wing from the picture is awfully taco'd, lol. I'm sure it's trapping some gas and making things a little difficult from a streamline/drag perspective.

My current tech setup BP&W harness with a 60lb wing for 4 cylinders (back-mount twins and 2 stage tanks). I have an opportunity to get a 90 lb wing in a very reasonable price. . . . .
So, I was wondering if anyone really use a 90lb lift capacity unless they are hauling a Spanish anchor from the bottom? Can you kind folks provide some perspective from your experiences?
Like you, my primary set-up is a SS BP, a 60 lb wing, BM steel twins (100s or 130s), and 2 deco cylinders (AL80 and AL40). I find that rig to provide more than ample buoyancy. Frankly, I find my 55lb Halcyon wing to be sufficient. I also own, but haven't used in YEARS, a Dive Rite Super Wing, with 77lb of lift. Nice wing, I just don't need it, or use it.
Or if I use a 90lb wing, would I be that guy on the boat nobody will have beer with?
If they invite you along for a beer, they won't be able to talk about you, along the lines of, 'Why would anyone want such a huge, 90lb, wing?' :)
As I am helpless to fight this gear addiction on my own, I wanted have a rational argument before I decide.
I feel your pain. Perhaps, you should approach the issue from the perspective of, 'If I don't buy this wing (which I probably won't ever use, much less need) I can use the money to buy some other piece of gear that I might actually end up using, even if I don't really need it (i.e. I already have 1 (or 3) of them.)'

That 94lb wing from the picture is awfully taco'd, lol. I'm sure it's trapping some gas and making things a little difficult from a streamline/drag perspective.
yeah its taco'd.....honestly not as big a deal as people make it out to be....theres really never a significant amount of gas in my wing anyways.

wing dives fine, vents fine, and stability seems fine......it might add some drag, but i really dont notice any additional drag over my 23 lb wing......im getting more drag from my dry suit than anything.

you are going to get tacoing with any doubles wing on a single tank, regardless of the size....

but like i said earlier, i accidentally bought the wrong wing....that being said, im not heart broken about it, this wing dives great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom