$9 Red filter + $6 Macro lens + $45 Torch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

can you expand on your love for 2.7? what does it do that makes it better? afaik it's simply the resolution, and you won't find many displays that can handle it. it seems to me like it's watching 1080p content on a 720p tv...
As the gopro housing port produces blurred corners it may make sense to shoot at higher resolution and then crop
Same if you want to use to have some form of zoom for close ups
So your end footage is 1080p normal but you have margin for correction
Obviously if you are not bothered about blurred corners etc there is o benefit

Eelnoraa, it's a thin very fragile film manufactured by this company: WaveFront Technology Inc. - Tailored Micro-Diffusers - TMD Films

Another forum user sent me a small square piece of a larger sheet he ordered, it's not a very cheap material ($35 per sheet plus another $20 shipping). The piece I have is a "60 degree" sheet, but they manufacture up to 80 degrees - I wonder how much light loss that might cause. If more people are interested in experimenting with that, a group purchase would be great as you only need a small piece.

You can tell there is a light on the scene shot under the darker ledge as it creates a shadow behind a piece of the reef, but the light is effective on all the close-up shots, you don't notice it because it covers the whole frame when using GoPro's narrow mode plus a +10 diopter, which narrows the FOV a lot.

The diffuser does cut down on the torch's range to at most 1 to 1.5 feet, but fits my purpose given that it's a $45 light with only 180 lumen. I am not expecting to light 5-6 feet away, the filter will color correct subjects on those distances.

none nada ?
Agree to disagree

Not sure of the science but the 2.7 footage is much better

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Nice video, good to see "real" colours...

On another point: could you explain the choice of "narrow" plus macro lens? Is the default "wide" setting on the GoPro not good enough? How close did you actually get to the subjects you were filming....?

Congrats.

Rene

Nice video, good to see "real" colours...

On another point: could you explain the choice of "narrow" plus macro lens? Is the default "wide" setting on the GoPro not good enough? How close did you actually get to the subjects you were filming....?

Congrats.

Rene

Thanks!

The macro lens is used to reduce the minimum focus distance of the GoPro and allows you to get closer while still on focus. The wide mode is great, but sometimes it's too wide if you are trying to show detail.

The narrow mode helps on avoiding vignetting due to the macro filter not being a "low profile" filter, i.e. keeps the black filter ring from showing on the corners. Along with the macro lens, it narrows GoPro's FOV enough so that a small 60 degree torch can cover the whole frame on a close-up.

A +10 macro lens works up to 3 to 4 inches from the camera for me, you can stack more filters to reduce that, but not by much. The threespot damselfish (yellow + gray/yellow) and the foureye butterflyfish were at about 4-5 inches away. The anemone was about 4 inches away. The juvenile fishes under the ledge were at about 3 inches, too close I think, so they are out of focus.

I have many other shots at 3 inches (beautiful transparent pedersen cleaner shrimps!) that turned bad because I was thinking that distance would be ok. Even with the LCD bacpack, it's hard to tell whats on focus or not, now I know better: 4 inches to be sure.

Ah, thanks for the info. What would you recommend as the closest you can get using just the W mode...?

Rene

once you shoot 2.7 it is hard to go back
On recommendations from Marty and Ron I used that underwater, and on the surface used 1080 60fps narrow
Editing it all now and I wish I had used 2.7 all the time

You cannot shoot 2.7k _AND_narrow ( only wide) with the H3 Black.....

read closer i said above water i shot 1080 narrow

Why is the rum always gone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom