$9 Red filter + $6 Macro lens + $45 Torch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toozler

Contributor
Reaction score
The video below was shot during one single dive at 1080p@30fps, narrow mode. The purpose of the video is not to be published on National Geographic but just share the results one may expect with the accessories listed below.

1. EelVision "BG" red filter ($9) from EelVision Dive Filters | EelVision
2. Vivitar +10 diopter lens ($6) from Vivitar Series 1 1 2 4 10 Close Up Macro Filter Set w Pouch 62mm | eBay
3. iTorch LED 180 lumen 60 degree ($45) from I-Torch LED Dive Light
4. A small piece of 60 degree holographic diffuser from Wavefront Technology inserted on the torch, kindly provided by another forum user.

[video=youtube;SQIQtTxOcEA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQIQtTxOcEA[/video]

Depths range from 45 to 55 feet, visibility approximately 40 feet, bright sunny day, close to noon. There is a lot of silt on this site which makes a lot of stuff look "beige" - note the mess the other divers fins make near the coral. Lots of juvenile fish, plankton and suspended matter too as this site is basically in a mangrove.

The torch is only effective for the close-ups (1 feet from the camera), all color correction beyond that is done by the filter. Both, light and filter, were on the whole time, except on the first scene (filter only).

There's a lot of improvement to be done on my side to reduce shakiness, my second handle for the tray didn't arrive in time and shooting close-ups is not easy. I have applied MLT's vstab stabilization to make it a little easier to watch, hence the black bars that will eventually appear.

I'm very happy with the setup and feel like will be using this combination all the time, for close-ups or not.

Good result.

The light is not actually doing much at all except in crannies where it is useful in the rest of the footage you can't see any effects as it should be for 180 lumens.

I guess the warping effect and woobly image is due to software stabilisation and not to do with the footage itself because of that is difficult to understand if the close up lens works or not as the warp distorts the image and makes it 'liquid'

The first scene is the best maybe it was less shaky so the stabilisation has not damaged it too much

nice video, where was it shot? I also use the www.eelvision.com filter (and anti-fog strips) and have been very pleased. highly recommended.

Shot in Bocas del Toro, Panama.

Great diving there, much underrated compared to other Caribbean destinations that have cruise ship access. Not a lot of large fauna, but very colorful reef. Tons of small things to see (and to try to see - note how many juvenile fish are swimming around everywhere), warm water, cheap beer.

also try 2.7k 30
The low light performance is nice, and when you need to you can crop or zoom in and out post production due to the frame size being larger than 1080p
what white balance setting?

I have not added a light may never

Need to try the diopter, thanks for sharing

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Shot using auto WB, works best with the filter. The only things done in post were the stabilization algorithm and added little bit of contrast. I will consider shooting in higher res modes so I can crop the black bars generated by the stabilization.

once you shoot 2.7 it is hard to go back
On recommendations from Marty and Ron I used that underwater, and on the surface used 1080 60fps narrow
Editing it all now and I wish I had used 2.7 all the time

can you expand on your love for 2.7? what does it do that makes it better? afaik it's simply the resolution, and you won't find many displays that can handle it. it seems to me like it's watching 1080p content on a 720p tv...

kind of
But I do not resize it, I crop it
That allows me to isolate and frame the shot post production

Plus there is much to be said for details in down sizing higher resolution
The low light performance is great

i also shoot protune camraw white balance
Love how it flattens the colors for easier correction. Though the protune preset is a little on the warm side sometimes

Back
Top Bottom