9 Days in Feb - best place to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mich327

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I'm thinking of booking a trip to PI over Chinese New Year and am seriously overwhelmed reading on the forum about all of the great options for places to go. If you were going to go for 9 days, would you split the diving up? Where would you go? I'm interested in macro, hubby is interested in pelagics, and good vis is important. We're both AOW.

So far, it seems PG, Dumaguete/Dauin, S. Leyte, or Malapascua might be good options.

Also, any thoughts on where to go if we want to stay in a luxury resort?

Thanks!
Mich

Mich,

Well it just happens I am planning a similiar trip for that week. I think we've decided to split our time between Donsol and Anilao. Rough it in Donsol for a few days to snorkel with the whale sharks, and then pamper ourselves in Solona at Anilao for the remaining week and get my macro fill... :D

Anilao/PG combo could be nice. Or if you fly into Cebu - Cabilao and either Alona/Balicasag or Dumaguete/ Apo Island would be nice.

Luxury resort... hmm... Check Solana Bezo Resort in Anilao.
Bahura Resort in Dumaguete?
Alona Palm Beach Resort in Bohol is very nice as well.
Bohol Beach Club is also OK. Maybe the separate bungalows are better than the room I had. It's isolated from the rest of the resorts on Alona Beach. Nice beach and nice dives right in front of the resort.

Or if you really need a 5 star, then base yourself in the Shangri-la or Hilton on Mactan and do day trips down to Cabilao and Balicasag.

you cant go wrong with any of your choices. however, there may be no luxury resort in S. Leyte and Malapascua. For PG, the best will be Out of the Blue Villas and Atlantis. For Dauin, Atlantis and Bahura.

Luxury is relative - but for PG, I would stay at Out Of The Blue Villas, Very nice, and the single room that Dennis was staying in was about $90 a night. It has air con, very nice kitchen, lounge room, and the bedroom and bath is downstairs.

If you go to Malapascua, I'd go for Bantiges Cove Resort - nice accom, private beach, and not "too" far from town.

I have not been to Dumaguete/Dauin, and am going to S.Leyte in late feb, so can't comment there, but oyu could also try Cabilao - great macro, and Polaris offers quite a nice range of accom, with swimming pool, great food and even a pool table. Most rooms have air con and LARGE bathrooms, with comfy beds. Have no stayed at Le Estrella, so can't comment, but I have heard good things. Though Polaris has 24hr power, if that is important.
I'd go for Malapascua for sure, as it is supposedly the right time for Mantas, you may also see a thresher or 2 (may...) and there is actually some macro down there at Monad Shoal where you look for the Mantas and Threshers).

As for the others - depends on if oyu want a "quiet resort" (Cailao) or a party town (PG)..

Z..

Thanks, Pakman - such a quick response!
We don't need 5 star, but budget is just not going to cut it except maybe for a couple of days to see the whale sharks - we work 70+ hours/week and want to relax!

Is it difficult to travel internally if we split S. Leyte with something in the Visayas? I don't know much about PI... yet!

Thanks Jigo and Zeeman!

Is it difficult to travel internally if we split S. Leyte with something in the Visayas? I don't know much about PI... yet!

It could be done but you might spend an entire day traveling. There are ferries to Cebu City from Southern Leyte (2.5-3hrs).

After lots of research I am heading to S.Leyte & Dauin in Feb.
Travelling will eat into your 9 days so i would think about only doing 1 location.
S.leyte is not easy to travel to/from if you only have 9 days and want to maximise your diving
I am staying approx 19 days, 7 dive days in Leyte,9 dive days in dauin , and have allowed 3 travel days.
From Manila i fly to Cebu, overnight Cebu,ferry to S.leyte next day (basically to get to resort from Cebu will take most of a day, 2-3 hrs ferry, 2-3 hrs car to resort.
Then from S.leyte to Cebu, overnight then onto Dauin next day.

Thanks Kevster - I'm thinking I'll pick just one like Malapascua or one of Pakman's recos - writing resorts now. I have a feeling that availability will be a determining factor :)

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to post a trip report

Mich FYI, I was able to do Malapascua, Bohol (Alona) and Dumaguete in a 10 day trip. A bit hectic but gave me a good sampling of the diving in those areas. To be honest, I probably would only spend 2-3 days diving in Malapascua unless you have a large group and can commandeer an entire bangka to do some of the cooler wrecks further away. Once you're back in Cebu City, there are frequent fast ferries to Bohol (Tagbilaran) and Dumaguete. In fact I think most fast ferries to Dumaguete stop at Tagbilaran.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom