85m air dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually that would explain quite a lot Hatul...

How did your narcosis manifest? Were you slower? Euphoric?

Mentally slower, yes. Had to concentrate more than usual on what I was doing. I was enjoying the dive, but not euphoric

Your last bit about problem solving - how do you think it could be a different story? Do you believe narcosis hampers problem solving a great deal?

Yes, I do. Skills can be trained so that the become reflexive - I can do a valve shutdown okay for example - but problem solving is an issue, you can get task focussed, perceptual narrowing etc. But I wouldn't say I worry about it

I guess the last question is more getting at why you want to do deep air diving?

A combination of reasons - I'm interested to see what my limitations are, how well I do or don't function at depth. I know it can be done with what I consider a reasonable degree of safety by the right people in the right conditins with the right training, support, work-up, equipment etc

Was the whole dive done just to hit a certain depth? There wasn't something specific you wanted to see?

What I wanted to see was what I replied to Saspotato above. No it's not a record by any stretch, although it is the deepest I've been so far. As I mentioned we did work-up dives from 45m in 10m intervals, so 85m was the next in the series. The dive was planned for my 42nd birthday so I made it 84, double my age. Since it was a wall dive, there was lots to see all the way up and down, so it was a fun ~40 minutes.

So ~5 minutes down, ascent starting at 8 minutes, giving you a ~3 minute bottom time?

I would call that 8 minutes bottom time, since I define bottom time as from the start of the dive the the start of the ascent. But same thing either way, time at max depth was ~3 minutes

Why so short? I don't like doing more than ~10-12 minutes of deco on 100% O2 if it can be avoided. I also don't like exposure to high CNS and PP02 numbers for long periods. People get very focussed on the depth, but it's the dosage, ie depth x time, that concerns me more

Wow, 85m...

I thought that 60m on air was bad. I certainly wouldn't do that again but heck it was an experience and judging from your first post it must have been fun.

Wall dives are a lot more fun than open water dives especially when it gets to deco time.

SangP

I think scuba is more judgmental than any other sport when it comes to pushing the envelope. You don't see skydivers telling base jumpers, "Why would you jump off that bldg/antennae/span/cliff?!! It's unnecessary risk!!" A freestyle motocrosser did the first backflip, a snowboarder rode the most extreme mountain or reached the fastest speed, a driver set the land speed record at Bonneville....people thought they were cool, adventurous, etc. Do the equivalent in scuba diving and you're in idiot, a troll, etc.

Personally, I dive just to see stuff. There is more than enough for me to see at rec depths but there are probably deeper wrecks I wouldn't mind diving on. However, it has yet to be worth the added costs & risks to get there.

Congrats on your dive. I do, however, agree that telling everyone to PM you for answers to a question posted on here is a bit weak. Take some time and provide an educational benefit to the thread and you'd certainly be more respected. Hopefully respect in the diving community has at least some value to you and not just from your current buddies.

You've made four posts in this thread and called me a troll in every one of them /yawn

I don't know if it's come to your attention, but "If you dive deep air/wear a bunged wing etc YOU'RE GONNA DIE!!" is a bit of a running joke here at SB.com. Unfortunately some people aren't joking when they say it. THAT'S why I said what I said

85m in a SHORTY?!?

I gotta get me to the Philippines.

Yep, water is toasty warm in July. A 3mm shorty can feel a bit warm on rec. dives :) For tech dives I use a 5mm SP hooded shorty, so I can pull the hood up if I get a little cool during the longer stops or below the thermocline - although at this time of year that's rare

I do, however, agree that telling everyone to PM you for answers to a question posted on here is a bit weak

I think you need to consider the questions that were being asked at that point in the thread, who was asking them and what their motivation was. As you can see I've been happy to answer questions later in the thread from people with a genuine interest in the answers

As you can see I've been happy to answer questions later in the thread from people with a genuine interest in the answers

Well in that case I have a question. :wink:

I don't like doing more than ~10-12 minutes of deco on 100% O2 if it can be avoided.

Why so little O2 deco? What do you have against it? That's really going to limit your dive times. Have you considered using air breaks?

Most people can expand on 'because I want to', which is mainly what I am interested here from Tortuga. I like going into caves because of the awesome air clear visibility, the way the entrance looks with the sun shining through, the challenge of learning new skills such as running line, having great buoyancy and trim, things like that, also because it's kind of spooky to be in the dark under all that rock, it seems quieter and more peaceful especially as the caves I dive in have no water movement. Those are the reasons why 'I want to'.

You basically gave most of the reasons anyone would want to dive a cave, which pretty much everyone is aware of anyway. And there is a list of answers people can give for wanting to dive deep on air, which have all been said before too. In both cases, divers decide they want to do it. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom