820 Bridge dive-FTW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone serious about giving this a try....I just thought a new thread might help to set a date/time/meet-up location????

I am good for most days of 12/19-23/05???? Maybe the holidays are not good for folks,,,,I have to go under the knife 12/27 so will be out for a little bit after. Anyone else............ideas/thoughts.

COPIED from another thread:
"MAx depth that I have found off the bridge was 18 feet, and that was when the lake was high. There is an 18 wheeler in the water. I have found ladders, televisions, weapons, and various other sundry items in the lake, but it IS diving by brail (1-2 foot usually, and I recommend cleaning with green soap or some other neoprene safe antibacterial soap after the dive).
We train along the bridge just because of all of the "garbage" that is there. One of our divers almost always finds a weapon of some sort. Last time it was a tec 9 machine psitol with the serial filed off and a sawed-off shotgun.
There is an F4 fighter jet in the lake as well as a B36 bomber. The F4 I believe is outside of the restricted area, but the B36 is just off the runway, so is not accessible to most. I dove it recently with some FBI guys. Just a big pile of rusted metal now, not very much excitement there.
There is also a lot of "junk" off the Jacksboro highway bridge, but not as much as the 820 bridge.
Access can be made at a boat launch and dock on the east side of the lake under the freeway. You access if off of Cahoba Trail. If you have a boat, take it to the mddle of the bridge span and dive there, as that is where most of the "stuff" is."

This sounds very interesting....I would be interested. My work schedule changes Jan 1...to 10pm - 8am..Sunday - Wednesday...so I will have quite a bit of down time during the day.

Kenny

If this works out,,,I am willing to use my large DiveYak without the 2 seats installed to mark our dive location with its dive flag and distinct markings,,,plus it can be used to place 'found' objects on....we can just anchor it were we are diving.

I'm interested but the dates are tough for me, starting on the 19th I have to move a datacenter

If the F4 is there it would be in the cove just east and south of the bridge, story
is the pilot put it there to avoid people so because he went down with it I would
suspect they pulled it out? The end of the runway is not restricted but a large
area to the east of it is, they have it marked off and if you look around you know why.
Funny, my first boss almost put a b52 in the lake, he said the nose was over the water
when it came to a halt. During the air shows they will mark off the end of the runway.

Oh, and my boarding buddy said I should warn you about the gator(s) :wink:
No Sh** ....

Yes, there are gators in Lake worth, up at the north end. They frequent the nature center area of the lake (which is very swamp like). Have never seen one when diving.

The location of the F4 is also correct. We recovered the body of the pilot (not me personally, but the captain I work with) and the sensitive avionics, but much of the airframe is still there.

I’m out right now because of the usual family events and getting ready for Christmas.
I don’t have enough time as it is already…

However, I am all for making a short list for new sites.
Next year, I want to chase down some ideas; some weird, some interesting.

Andrew

The 820 Bridge sounds like a wild thing to do. I kinda like wild. We have this Christmas Holiday thing going on right now but I think it would be a really great dive to do. Can't give you specific dates right now but it sounds like a place to do for sure pretty soon!!

Yea this whole bridge idea over any portion of a lake sounds fun,,,,partc. if it is in the country were folks go to throw stuff off. Most are pretty shallow and if in a lake you would not have to contend with current. Any other good overpasses you folks know of that might hold promise for some investigating??

There seems to be a few really good ideas floating about for new dives. I've got some I want to do and it looks like so do a number of folks here on the ScubaBoard. I think some interesting things are going to come from these ideas.
I'm happy to see that folks are willing to go into the water even though it offers less then perfect visibility and temp. conditions.
After all we are Swampers right!!! eyebrow

Back
Top Bottom