$800 for gear, need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ucrtwf

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys,
I've been reading posts on this for days, I'm prepared for the "try as much as you can" talks.... but my options for doing so are very limited. I apologize for the redundant posting by others. I've got $800 to spend on regs, BC, and gauges (hopefully computer too). My LDS is expensive, I've already made up my mind to go to Scubatoys. I was certified on a vest Bc, I think I want a back inflate (after reading LOTS of posts). I'm going to be diving a couple trips a year, but don't want to rent. I'm not sure if I want used, because it will cost me $100 for the initial tuneup and more every year after that because the regs won't be "parts included". I haven't seen anything THAT cheap that I could trust. Maybe I'm missing something.
PLEASE please please give me some recommendations. One question I have is that in the package deal, it's $205 to upgrade to the Atmos 2 console, and $225 to buy it separatley. Any thoughts?
Thanks a bunch in advance for any advise you can give.

If you want back infaltion you might want to look into a BP/W. Definately shop around online.

Go for the new regulator you want and take what is left for a used BC. Upgrade the BC later as funding permits. I've seen perfectly adequate BC for $25 to $50 on ebay. No bells or whistles and probably not backi inflate, but you will be diving with your own gear. Ask Scubnatoys about used BCs.

awap's right. eBay is your friend. I'd buy the regs new, but get the BC and gauges from eBay if I was on that tight of a budget, then upgrade as funds became available. As long as you keep your equipment in good shape, you can turn around and resell it on eBay later and hopefully get your money back.

Hi, I just got my new gear from ScubaToys (fortunately live in Dallas) and it was little around $1000 and got a BC and Areis XR-2 and Areis Reg and a Mares octo. You can look for the Riptide BC only thing is they are orange, when I saw then online I was not sure if I wanted one, after trying on one I was bought. It was most comfortable BC I have used so far and orange does not look that bad.....lol.
I still have not got chance to use the gear, hopefully in couple days.

ucrtwf:
Hi guys,
I've been reading posts on this for days, I'm prepared for the "try as much as you can" talks.... but my options for doing so are very limited. I apologize for the redundant posting by others. I've got $800 to spend on regs, BC, and gauges (hopefully computer too). My LDS is expensive, I've already made up my mind to go to Scubatoys. I was certified on a vest Bc, I think I want a back inflate (after reading LOTS of posts). I'm going to be diving a couple trips a year, but don't want to rent. I'm not sure if I want used, because it will cost me $100 for the initial tuneup and more every year after that because the regs won't be "parts included". I haven't seen anything THAT cheap that I could trust. Maybe I'm missing something.
PLEASE please please give me some recommendations. One question I have is that in the package deal, it's $205 to upgrade to the Atmos 2 console, and $225 to buy it separatley. Any thoughts?
Thanks a bunch in advance for any advise you can give.
Well, two pieces of information for you. One advice. The other an offer.

Call Larry at ScubaToys. Tell him exactly what you told us. See what he can do.
(That's the advice) :wink:

Second, but my back inflate scubapro x-tek for $100 (if you're a men's medium), spend most of your money on the rest of your gear. (Fins......get the Scubapro jet fins used from someone, they're bullet proof and don't cost a fortune. Spring straps are the best thing invented.)

talk to visibility unlimited ask for cathy www.oceansrealm.com she can work with you and probably get you complete set up for that or just a little more shipping is low she worked with me

I think $800 is plenty to get you a decent set of gear. Let me tell you somethin' about buying this stuff... go to LeisurePro.com to see what the real bottom line is. There are all kinds of nasty rumors about dealing with a "unauthorized dealers" but this is really just crap put out by the manufacturers and shops to get you to pay twice as much for stuff. LP is most manufacturers' largest customer. And they have their own warranty which is always at least as good as the manufacturers.

FWIW, ScubaToys does a real good job at being almost the same price as LP, and they will give you 10% off if you're a scubaboard member! If ScubaToys can't get you what you want for this price, something is wrong...

I'm assuming you're diving in warmish water when I tell you what I think the best budget deals around are. I love to be a cheapskate, so here you go...

Mask: US Divers from WAL-MART! I bet I will catch hell for this one, but if it doesn't fit your face just take it back. You can get a decent mask for like $12 here. In the winter time there were a bunch on clearance here for like five bucks. Don't believe that you need a "scuba diving mask" as there really is no such thing.... if it covers your nose and keeps water out, it will work.

Fins: Tusa Liberator X-10s. You can get them for like $29, and they are a powerful full footed fin.

Snorkel: Don't waste your money! You'll never use it!

Wetsuit: Go to a surf shop. They commonly have 3/2 full suits for $80 - 100, and they usually look way more bad *** than wetsuits targeted at scuba divers. If you need thicker neoprene this won't work though. Booties are best bought online from LeisurePro as they will never need servicing.

Regulators: I like the Oceanic Alpha 7 coupled with whatever their cheapo first stage is. I don't remember the name, sorry. They aren't made any more so you can get one dirt cheap, like $139. I also dove with the Mares Rebel and it was fine, and so is the Aeris A1. I just checked and LP is selling the Oceanic Alpha 8 with SP5 first stage for $124.99! I haven't breathed the Alpha 8 but I am sure it is just fine.

BC: I am less experienced here, but don't be afraid of buying used. You really do want trim weight pouches on it though. One other thing to save money is if your BC is weight integrated, the weight pouch has a plastic backing to it, and you don't need a ton of weight, is to use hard weights in it instead of soft... you'll save $10 right there.

Computer: For air only, the Aeris XR1 is about the cheapest computer and it never got me bent. You can probably find one for a hundred bucks. For nitrox, the Oceanic Veo NX series also has some good deals. There is really no reason to spend several hundred dollars here unless you are a tech diver and want real deco calculations, trimixes, etc.

Tank: If you're going to own all of your own gear, you might as well spend the $75 or so and get your own AL-80. It's worth the convenience of not having to go to a dive shop before you go diving.

Scubatoys will also pricematch Leisure Pro if they both have stuff you want. But no 10% Scubaboard discount...

I agree. Call Larry at Scubatoys or try leisurepro. They are the cheapest out there....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom