$800 for gear, need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

visibility unlimited very cheap as well and a authorized dealer i think i paid 1150 for bc, regulator, octo and computer and wetsuit very satisfied (and shipping)

ucrtwf,

If you really want to save as much as possible, try ScubaL another alternative if you want to get a BP/W then Hammerhead is the most cost effective around.

You just might find that you have enough to get a decent computer.

SangP

Another alternative would be to get stuff from ebay as I saw a oms 32 wing with sta sold for bout $230 recently, you might be able to get a complete setup for much less than $400

Check Diver's Direct for Oceanic Alpha 8. It is a really good regulator, regardless of price. And... it is priced low. My daughter has the oceanic Slimline octo, and it will do the job. Many of us use just an SPG, no console with a depth gauge or compass. That saves money that you can use for a computer, which is your depth gauge anyway.

Good luck and happy shopping.

I would look at www.visibilityunlimited.com They are wonderful, I just purchased the newest women's bc and upgraded my reg and octo for a litttle over $900. If you do no upgrade the octo you should be around where you want to and have all new items.

ucrtwf:
I've got $800 to spend on regs, BC, and gauges (hopefully computer too).

Since you've made your mind to buy everything from ScubaToys:

BCD: Zeagle Brigade BCD - $400
Reg: Zeagle Envoy - $195 price match with LeisurePro
Octo: Zeagle Envoy Octo - $95 price match with LeisurePro
Gauges: Tusa Mini Pressure Gauge - $57
Computers: Aeris XR-1 - $145

With the 10% discount for non price matched items, that's $832.

If you're willing to go outside ScubaToys, I'd consider the Deep Sea Supply single tank set-up. However, that'll really blow your budget.

Feeling lucky or adventurous. Your profile doesn't list where you live, but if you wan't to check out used gear for sale in your area go to www.craigslist.com, see if your geographical location is listed, click on it and then type in scuba in the search box and make sure For Sale is indicated. You may be surprised at what you might be able to find. If you are not sure about buying used gear, you probably would not like the experience. Just remember, if a deal is too good to be true, it probably is.

Crazy Fingers:
Mask: US Divers from WAL-MART! I bet I will catch hell for this one, but if it doesn't fit your face just take it back. You can get a decent mask for like $12 here. In the winter time there were a bunch on clearance here for like five bucks. Don't believe that you need a "scuba diving mask" as there really is no such thing.... if it covers your nose and keeps water out, it will work.

I don't agree. A diving mask face has to be GLASS and many snorkel or cheapo masks are plastic. There are some out there that the packaging specifically states are not for scuba diving. You don't want to find out when you're at 60+ feet deep that the mask wasn't made for depth!

When I started diving, I used a cheap US Divers mask that although had a glass face, had said on the packaging it was for "snorkeling". After less than 20 dives, the plastic frame holding the glass face in place started developing stress cracks. I felt fortunate to have found the cracks during a routine cleaning and inspection, and shuddered at the thought that it might have failed at depth on a dive. I've since purchased two masks from my LDS that are specifically made for diving.

DiveMaven:
I don't agree. A diving mask face has to be GLASS and many snorkel or cheapo masks are plastic. There are some out there that the packaging specifically states are not for scuba diving. You don't want to find out when you're at 60+ feet deep that the mask wasn't made for depth!

When I started diving, I used a cheap US Divers mask that although had a glass face, had said on the packaging it was for "snorkeling". After less than 20 dives, the plastic frame holding the glass face in place started developing stress cracks. I felt fortunate to have found the cracks during a routine cleaning and inspection, and shuddered at the thought that it might have failed at depth on a dive. I've since purchased two masks from my LDS that are specifically made for diving.

There are some plastic masks there, but they seem to be relegated to the toy department and in kiddie sizes. Seriously, go look at some of those masks. They look glass to me. And if I was on a shoestring budget I would try one. My buddy dove with some "Squirt" mask from a cheapo snorkeling set for like his first 30 dives, up to 100 feet. No problems.

At any rate, if there is enough of a pressure differential to break even a plastic mask, then you've got some serious mask squeeze going on and shouldn't be diving when you're full of snot! Not that I advocate diving with a plastic mask when a glass one is available for just a few bucks more.

Perhaps my Walmart just has a better selection of masks than other areas of the country, considering it's in this supposed tropica paradise. :roll eyes:

Thanks a bunch for everyone's thoughts. I do have a couple masks (one real scuba, and a couple "sporting goods store" models). I picked up a henderson skin, a 3/2 suit, booties, Mares Avanti Quattro fins, gloves, a couple tanks (al80), knife, and a finger spool. Most of this is used from fellow scubaboarders. After my Bc/reg/gauge/'puter purchase, I'm going to be looking for a saftey sausage. I think I should be set after that.
Thanks again to everyone. This board rules.
Take care,
Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom