8 tracks...cassettes.....records.......next masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So on a recent trip to Bonaire ran into a couple using full face mask and they swore by them, said they were the greatest thing since catnip. So I wonder if this is they way of the future? Ever used one and if so what did you think? I used to think a horse collar with a power inflator was top of the line, used to think there was no way cd's would last, now I wonder if the standard mask is next.

My guess is maybe. All depends on the cost of FFMs coming down. Who wouldn't want one? I suppose if you got an Ox hit on nitrox and convulse, your reg would not be popping out of your mouth. As I dive solo mostly, I bungee my reg in just in case I should ever lose consciousness--poor man's FFM.

I have been wondering the same thing. I am seeing these promoted more and more and if I had to venture a guess, FFM will be the future of diving. Especially since some allow you to use your current second stage.

. . . Especially since some allow you to use your current second stage.

How does that work? The second stage somehow plugs into the FFM? It seems to me that the main drawback of a FFM is ease of donating air.

I have a FFM as well as a standard DIR reg setup. IMO there is no one solution that fits all scenarios. My setup depends on my buddy's gear, dive location, travel distance etc etc. No doubt I love my FFM and I am very happy to have it in my collection, however I will always have my DIR reg setup and there will always be times where FFM is not the best selection.

It seems to me that the main drawback of a FFM is ease of donating air.

It depends largely on the gear you and your buddy have, for instance my dad and I both have FFM with quick connect hoses so in the event of an OOA emergency its as simple as disconnecting your hose and plugging it into your buddys. As mentioned above FFM aren't a final solution all on their own but they can certainly be part of a balanced and safe diving rig.

I've rented them and love the things. Only thing keeping me away is cost. I've seen folks naysay FFM because they're accustomed to certain procedures for dealing with masks or regulators (imo).

Outside of convenience and benefits like no fogging, there seems to be the potential for added safety. Wearing FFM means you're probably not going to drown if you become unconscious for some reason. Medical event, oxtox seizure, etc would be much more survivable if they didn't mean guaranteed drowning.

My LDS is having a big sale this weekend, and I'm hoping to score a pair of them.

Unfortunately the only brand sold in any of the many dive shops near me is Ocean Reef. Not that I dislike Ocean Reef, but it would be nice to be able to try others before sinking so much coin on one.

How does that work? The second stage somehow plugs into the FFM? It seems to me that the main drawback of a FFM is ease of donating air.
Scubapro FFM's do not replace the second stage. You remove the mouthpiece from your second stage and attach the mask to your second stage where the mouthpiece used to go. Unfortunately, they're not any cheaper than FFM's that have the second stage integrated. No benefit and all drawback with regards to using your existing second that I can think of.

SCPMFFBK.JPG

OTS states

With the Spectrum Full Face Mask, Ocean Technology Systems created the best Full Face Mask on the market that allows divers to user their own regulators and eliminating the heavy cost associated with standard FFMs, without sacrificing luxury.

spectrum-comparison-1024x632.jpg

Anyone have feedback on obtaining and using prescription lenses in a FFM?

That's an interesting option, I didn't know OTS had one without an included 2nd that was only $400 . The pricetag on the scubapro I linked is higher than other masks like the ocean reef which include the 2nd. Heck the OTS Guardian is less than $100 more than the scubapro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom