8 changes...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8. Tell the certified diver that he is not qualified to dive on his own with another newly certified diver. Perhaps have the instructor brush up on http://wrstc.com/downloads/03 - Open Water Diver.pdf and the purpose for OW certification. It is one thing to discuss good judgement when diving, some dives require more experience than others, but that is different than saying that a diver needs be under supervision until AOW and Rescue trained.

7 & 6. Good luck. Until the agencies start revising their standards and revoking professional certifications for this behavior, it will continue.

5. Every ascent at a proper ascent rate with a safety stop is a good thing, except in an emergency. Having one procedure regardless of circumstances is asking for trouble. Yes it will shorten the class because you don't have discuss the reasons for violating procedure, but this may keep the diver underwater long enough for an emergency to turn into a disaster.

4. When I was trained, it was not a 1/4 turn. As it was explained to me, most valves are not meant to be back-seated (opened hard as if against a seat as it is when closed). So the valve is fully opened then closed slightly. I don't know where the 1/4 turn came from, but it can be a problem as some valves can be opened in a couple of turns and a 1/4 turn open can give the same indication as fully opened when checked.

3. The last training I was in there were two divers using weight belts, I was one, this included two other specialty classes and an OW class. May be it's a local problem in his area as out here in the sticks it is not evident.

Other than the limitations of some shops rental inventory, the choice of weight systems is up to the diver, as it should be. I personally perfer a weightbelt, but had no issues the few times I have used an integrated BC. Live and let dive.

2. Ridiculing a peice of equipment is a poor way to argue a point. I personally have use for a snorkel, others don't. There a lot of good arguments pro and con for the use of the snorkel, and it should be up to the diver to decide whether it fits their dive plan. There can be no choice if the diver is never trained on its use.

1. I'm in agreement it should change, and it is, slowly. Don't blame it on the last century, but on lazy instructors. I was trained in the last century and skills had to be shown while diving neutral in order to certify. Not that they were not also done on the bottom in the pool initially.

Bob

Haha. Yes, while slightly tongue in cheek, I had to counter the argument in the original article that suggests weight belts should die. Or did you guys miss the glaring "do it my way" in the article?

@markmud if you're going to quote me, please quote the whole sentence or thought to avoid tricking the reader and removing the bit of humor I was trying to interject into the point. There is a very simple quote function built into the SB software.

Hi CuzzA,

I am sorry that I did not understand your attempt at humor.

And, I did quote you correctly. I used ellipses points at both ends of the quotation which denotes missing words at the beginning and end of your quoted material.

I reread your post and still don't get the humor or sarcasm.

To iterate, I am sorry that I did not perceive your humor or sarcasm. I stand corrected.

markm

Hi CuzzA,

I am sorry that I did not understand your attempt at humor.

And, I did quote you correctly. I used ellipses points at both ends of the quotation which denotes missing words at the beginning and end of your quoted material.

I reread your post and still don't get the humor or sarcasm.

To iterate, I am sorry that I did not perceive your humor or sarcasm. I stand corrected.

markm
Mark, no worries. It wasn't my best attempt at humor. I figured the outrageous idea that weight integrated BCs should be banished would give it away, though I was serious that lifting a weighted rig over the gunnel sucks.

Snorkels - I lost mine during a dive (anyone finds a red one at Playa Chica you know whose it was) and since then I only carry one when I know it will be needed and I attach it with a couple of table ties instead of the standard crap clip. One afternoon when I was snorkelling I watched a diver who was over deeper water than me make a cylinder (12 L) last all afternoon. Most of the time he was snorkelling and freediving, only breathing through his reg occasionally.

Weights - even though I am very inexperienced I have already decided that the best option for me is a combination of belt mounted and integrated weights, the aim being to have me and my BCD independently neutrally buoyant (or as near as can be). This will give best trim and also should be the most comfortable when walking to the water or wading through surf, minimise the effects and cost of an accidental weight drop and minimise the effects and costs of a deliberate partial weight drop.

Cylinder valve. In plumbing the practice of leaving a valve 1/4 turn back from fully open helps prevent stop valves (which may be untouched for years) from seizing. On high pressure welding cylinders opening the valve fully too forcefully could damage the seal but far more common was a slow leak in fully open position. I do not know if this is the case with modern diving valves. One instructor taught me 1/4 back but said full open also OK. Another instructor said full open. Both said open valve during gear assembly and do not close again until disassembly after dive. I think it would be a good idea if valves were redesigned so some sort of indicator shows position.

Poor buddy, and should inexperienced divers only dive is instructor supervised groups. My preference is for a competent instructor / guide to be with the group. I have already experienced a useless buddy and seen many examples of buddy separation. Once I am OW qualified and start diving with larger groups I don't know, I will tell the DM I am inexperienced and would like to stay close to him. A pony bottle is something I will seriously consider.

Mark, no worries. It wasn't my best attempt at humor. I figured the outrageous idea that weight integrated BCs should be banished would give it away, though I was serious that lifting a weighted rig over the gunnel sucks.

Hi CuzzA,

That would not work for me because I have been flamed on SB for writing that I don't like BP&wings. I literally threw one away. There are people who seriously believe that their God is BP&wing.

Lifting a rigged BC over the gunnel sucks, especially mine as I usually have a pony rig attached to it.

markm

I added the URL to my signature box for Pete's advocacy group. Somehow, I was not able to label the URL.
I know someone, who knows someone else, who knows me, so I fixed it for you! :D

I think it would be a good idea if valves were redesigned so some sort of indicator shows position.

There are colour coded indicator valves. Seems like a good idea, although it should never replace a physical check.

XSScubaProDinValve.jpg

Hi CuzzA,

That would not work for me because I have been flamed on SB for writing that I don't like BP&wings. I literally threw one away. There are people who seriously believe that their God is BP&wing.

Lifting a rigged BC over the gunnel sucks, especially mine as I usually have a pony rig attached to it.

markm

Mark,

Just about everyone is going to argue the way they do it is best and don't get me wrong, while I don't really believe weight integrated BCD's should fall by the wayside, I still like my belt over weight integrated pockets and will share my reasons why. If we all agreed about everything there wouldn't be much to discuss on here.

I get the dive and let dive deal, I also want to hear reasoning behind the gear and places and techniques we choose in diving so I can be a better, safer diver.

Just about everyone is going to argue the way they do it is best and don't get me wrong, while I don't really believe weight integrated BCD's should fall by the wayside, I still like my belt over weight integrated pockets and will share my reasons why. If we all agreed about everything there wouldn't be much to discuss on here.

I get the dive and let dive deal, I also want to hear reasoning behind the gear and places and techniques we choose in diving so I can be a better, safer diver.

This pretty well sums up why I am on this forum. It's a way to pick the brains of a bunch of experienced divers with a vast array of knowledge. This from a guy that doesn't use most other social media stuff. Don't even like to text (they are cell phones)

I know someone, who knows someone else, who knows me, so I fixed it for you! :D

Hey Pete,

I had a feeling that a person, who knows someone, who knows you would have you do that!

thanks,

markm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom