8 changes...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you take 4-5 breaths from the reg prior to splashing does the needle read any different if it's all the way open vs. if it's turned 1/4 back?

No difference.

The anomalies only begins when it's 1/4 turn open (mistake been made) and you're at depth. The tank supplies enough air to pressurize the HP hoses, it just gets progressively slower at filling up your LP system after every breath.

I think he's wrong on the weight belt. It took some time for me to see the light, but once getting some real world diving experience, those harness weight pockets were replaced by a rubber freediving belt and hard lead. Some designs will stand the test of time....
...So, what's the answer? IMO, stop selling and promoting weight integration rather than promoting the end of weight belts (Fat chance, I know). Weight belts are a far superior ballast system. Not to mention, anyone who has to pull up someones rig over the gunnel all day will agree with me.

What I don't like is divers dictating to others that there is only one way, or even one "best" way, to accomplish a task such as weight belts vs weight integration. Such proclamations are opinions and beliefs, not facts that are universally applicable to all. Yes, I did see the IMO in his post.

Last edited:
I ditched my ballast once. It was a precaution as I was fishing and surfaced a quarter mile from the boat which did not see me for twenty minutes as I had a couple sharks that kept wanting to steal my catch. I dropped the lead in the event me or my BC was bitten. Ultimately I had to give up the fish and finally the boat spotted me.

Your determination in keeping your catch is admirable!

I like the idea of having detachable weights in the case of wanting to be very floaty and not at all sinky... In case of spending a long time bobbing about like a pool toy. If I'm in a cave, I want primarily non detachable. If I'm shore diving I want a weight system with the weight distributed into manageable portions for carrying multiple trips.

My first proper weight system as a truck brake rotor and grenade style release. Streamlined, comfortable and easy to ditch. I've not come across a system I like better.

All in all, when we make generalisations (like this statement) there is often exceptions...

Cameron

What I don't like is divers dictating to others that there is only one way, or even one "best" way, to accomplish a task such as weight belts vs weight integration. Such proclamations are opinions and beliefs, not facts that are universally applicable to all.

Hi Altamira,

CuzzA wrote: "...stop selling and promoting weight integration..."

Yeah, I agree with you. Instead of lobbying for equipment sales and manufacturing companies to conform to his diving "style" or habits, he should proudly don his weight belt and go diving. Let me don my jacket BCD with full solo gear and hog looped/necklaced second stages, so I can go diving my way.

markm

As The Chairman has said "Dive and let dive."

Hi Altamira,

I added the URL to my signature box for Pete's advocacy group. Somehow, I was not able to label the URL. The link is not readily understandable.

markm

Haha. Yes, while slightly tongue in cheek, I had to counter the argument in the original article that suggests weight belts should die. Or did you guys miss the glaring "do it my way" in the article?

@markmud if you're going to quote me, please quote the whole sentence or thought to avoid tricking the reader and removing the bit of humor I was trying to interject into the point. There is a very simple quote function built into the SB software.

Last edited:
Haha. Yes, while slightly tongue in cheek, I had to counter the argument in the original article that suggests weight belts should die. Or did you guys miss the glaring "do it my way" in the article?

@markmud if you're going to quote me, please quote the whole sentence or thought to avoid tricking the reader and removing the bit of humor I was trying to interject into the point. There is a very simple quote function built into the SB software.

No, I did not miss the "weight belt should die" position in the article and do not agree with that position either as it also is dogmatic and paints with too broad of a brush. I should also have stated that I did agree with your point that it can be less time consuming to dump the weights on a weight belt if you are trying to get someone to the surface, unless of course the person has the weight belt under the crotch strap on a bp/w.

Following this thread has got me wondering. How often has anyone here had to drop weights. Yeah, I know, theoretically it only has to happen once. And I don't have all that many dives (250-275) so I'm not the best judge. But still, how likely is one to need to drop weight? Especially if their kit is well maintained and they are not overweighted.

This issue seems to me to be a lot of adue about nothing. It seems more likely to drop ditchable weigh accidently. Never had to ditch weight but I have accidently lost weight twice. Both times my fault. That issue has been corrected.

Ditchable weights are great for noobs because new divers typically ARE overweighted and it makes it real easy for someone else, i.e. a DM, to pull their weights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom